Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie

A Night in the Jungle

Well I slept in my WBBB last night for the first time. This in only the fourth time sleeping in a hammock. I wanted to make sure I was ok for the hang in Ocala this weekend.

It was approximately 10pm when I walked out of the house and jumped into the hammock. While trying to fall asleep I heard cars, trucks, dogs and other nighttime noises, nothing to loud or out of the ordinary. I finally fell asleep but was woken up by dogs barking. It sounded like two different dogs.

Fell asleep again and woke up to a terrifying scream. I thought there was a murder taking place in the woods behind the house. Then I heard it again, "What the?" and again and again. It's an owl.

I fell asleep after all that woke me up with no problem. I just kept waking up for different reasons. CBS, slid down to far, too hot, too cold, *duck quacking, roosters crowing, dogs barking, vehicles driving, owls hooting and screeching all this is enough to give a person nightmares.

The final time I woke up was because two roosters started a crowing competition. At that time I needed to use the restroom and went inside, 5:15am on the clock. I laid down on the bed next to my wife and she's making breathing noises (not snoring, I could hear her berating.)

Also, when I got out of the hammock there was moisture on the inside of the tarp, which in turn got all over my backside. But was that dew or from my respiration? Well it was foggy last night.

I told my daughter we will sleep outside soon. But I need to make an UQ for her. I told her about all the noises, she tells me, "That's ok I don't hear anything when I'm sleeping."

The temperature here in Central Florida was in the upper 50's last night. I thought it was cold enough to keep the animals hibernating, guess not.

Now to add two more posts and a fire ring in the backyard. Then I could have a hammock hang in my yard, it's a jungle out there.
    Last edited by ofceb; 01-10-2012 at 08:58.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, Burrows
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Your night sounds a lot like mine when I try back yard overnights. In the deep woods away from everything I sleep just fine, but in my back yard its tough to get to sleep and stay that way. Ear plugs can help but then I can't hear the serial killer sneaking up one me. Maybe that's a good thing. Keep trying!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Funny post.....from your title, I was expecting a Hammock Forums member to be reporting in from the Amazon. Urban jungle indeed!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Ofceb, good on you for getting out there and trying everything.

I hear you on all of the noises that happen in suburbia (okay, okay, lame pun ). It's hard, sometimes, testing gear in my front yard: I live in a border neighborhood on some less-solvent areas, and that keeps me more alert than I normally would be in the woods. Still, even with that, I find that a night in the hammock is just as refreshing as a night in the bed (for one, I don't have to fight the cats for space all night ).

As far as the tarp goes, it was probably dew if the night was foggy down your way. It's possible that it's from your breathing, but not real likely if you set the tarp more than a foot or so up from your bug netting.

I'm glad the posts you put in are working well, and I hope that you enjoy your new blackbird. I'm jealous; those're really nice hammocks, especially after seeing Duffy's and Johnny's at the hang.

I look forward to seeing you in Ocala this coming weekend!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I live on a State Route...and right in town..also a block from running railroad tracks, so the noises when I try to test things out here are at times just unbearable.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Thank goodness I live in the backwoods of WV. I hear only critters. You people that hang in this urban jungle you speak of, hats off to ya. I would be terrified.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    It was quite an experience and I will try it again. My hammock hang is two 4"x4"x10' posts with chamfered corners and a 1"x6"x16' brace across the top. I set the posts 2.5' into the ground and added the brace for support. I will post pictures soon as i figure how to.

I also tested a pillow case I made with grommets added to the top corners. I used flannel for the cloth. It was soft and warm. It was tied with a knot that I could slide and I was able to adjust it while laying in the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I had that happen at dolly sods with a forum hang got woke up with a hell of a scream at 2 am was a pack a coyotes right across the creek from us .

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1db
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba camo
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Ed's set up

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1db
    Tarp