Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    2 x 2 SPE, 1/2"ccf
    Images

Will this hammock stop stretching

Just got my HH Safari yesterday and got it setup in back yard. I have a couple of questions if ya wouldn't mind helping me out on. I first set this thing up by the book. I would get the ridge line level and I would pull as tight as I could, but maybe my a$$ is heavier than I think cause I would always end up an inch or two from the ground . I would set this thing as high as I could reach but still it would stretch out. Now I know you all aren't packing mini step ladders with ya.... So to day I went to tractor supply and got a couple of those rings being discussed and set it up that way. It is better but still stretching. Its not moving or sliding on the ring...just the cord is stretching...Here are a couple of pictures to show what I have maybe you can see if I am doing anything wrong...

here is rings and knot on the one end
    ring.JPG

How the setup is
    setup.JPG

How comfortable it is till it stretches
    sleep.JPG

Thanks
    Mike

Hammock
    LuxMatt TreeMounThammocks
    Tarp
    Colibri
    Insulation
    tropical weather
    Suspension
    Big Archy stand
    Images
    Ropes for hammock must be treated specially to loose the elasticity.

We call this PRE-TENSION

To get pre-tension ropes, the rope supplier will HEAT TREAT specially the ropes to make those static and no more elastic...

Choice of ropes is capital if you wish to stay above ground with your Bum...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Does anyone remember the thread that talks about the 30 degree angle between the ridgeline and the support systems? I can't find it but it might be helpful to BBW.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    2 x 2 SPE, 1/2"ccf
    Images
    Ramblinrev...

Was this the thread... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/h...idge-line.html

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    very possibly but I think it was much longer than that.

Here's a quote from Youngblood but it's not the thread I was thinking of.

Wayne... the comment you made about using the tautest hang you could means you aren't hanging it high in the way I talk about hanging them high. The goal for how high the hammock itself ends up off the ground is the same, it is the supports that I talk about hanging higher up on the trees.

I mean that you tie the hammock off higher on the supports without the suspension taut... the without the suspension taut is key in all this. You initially have sag in the suspension, a good bit actually. When you do that there is not as much force on the hammock suspension when you initially get in the hammock and it doesn't drop as far from where you initial placed it. This technique is less stressful on everything involved, the hammock suspension, the ridgeline, the tree huggers, and the supports.

That's from http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/r...snapped-6.html
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 05-26-2008 at 21:13.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Mike,

How far are your supports separated? That is a big hammock with a large sag angle designed in. I haven't used it but I have a hunch those characteristics are going to make it more difficult on longer spans and that may restrict it to shorter spans, most everything has tradeoffs. Folks that use it could tell you about that.

Shorter spans are easier to handle with any hammock if you are having trouble with it dropping too far when you weight it. Can you set it up somewhere with about a 12 foot span, tie it off about 6 feet high, and not tighten up the suspension, but let it have just a little sag to it such that the ridgeline is about 5-1/2 feet above the ground before you get in it? If it still drops too much, try tying it higher instead of tightening up the suspension lines and see how that does.

If all that fails, about all you can do is shorten the span as much as you can, tie it as high as you can, tighten up the suspension, and then retighten it when it stretches too much.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 05-26-2008 at 21:37.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    You've probably got stretch going on in three places.

1. The tree hugger straps. I found that the stock HH straps were too short and stretched too much. I bought some of the 2" Strapworks seatbelt material and made tree huggers that addressed both concerns. While I was at it, I also sewed in a ring onto one end of each strap -- one less thing to misplace.

2. The suspension ropes. The stock HH ropes are pretty good; but any rope will stretch to some extent. The longer the distance between the trees, the greater the stretch. Much of the stretch will disappear with continued use.

3. The hammock body itself. Stretch here is a GOOD thing as its what makes the hammock conform to your body and provides increased comfort. Nevertheless, again with time the amount of stretch will be reduced.

Most of the time, I find setting the tree huggers to between shoulder and nose height works well for me. The actual height will vary with distance between trees and terrain. Even now I usually set it up, rest in it for a couple of minutes to get the stretch worked out, and then re-tighten.

When I first got my HH, I had to re-tighten multiple times to get the stretch out. Now one time generally does it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Most of the time, I find setting the tree huggers to between shoulder and nose height works well for me. The actual height will vary with distance between trees and terrain. Even now I usually set it up, rest in it for a couple of minutes to get the stretch worked out, and then re-tighten.
    BC, I have a feeling you are using a smaller hammock than Mike is. He has the big one and I think he is going to need to hang it about foot higher than you do. The larger Hennessy hammocks have more sag designed in them and that means you have to hang them higher to end up the same distance above the ground.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    From my experience with my Safari 12' might be a little tight for the supports but I am trying to go for a much shorter distance than I have been. Not to say it can't be hung in 12' given the built in sag but the bed itself measures 12'. Not sure what the ridge line is but it is a least 10'. I found 21' was the maximum distance the suspension would reach given the original huggers. That is way too long. HH website recommends 13-26' if I remember correctly. I am looking for about 15' on my next hang.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    I think the tarp will limit the minimum span and 12 feet may not work. The ridgeline is specified at 112 inches so the hammock itself will probably fit in a 12 foot span. What is the minimum span you suggest for Mike to try so that he can stay off the ground easier and how high should he tie off?
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast