WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Been getting weird looks since WAY before hammocking, so my neighbors don't even notice me anymore.
    In a way, I've had the cops investigate me while hanging in the back yard: I've never verified it, all the County Cops I know are now retired, but up until a few years ago (budget cutbacks) the night patrol helicopter would fly over my yard, (around 2100 hrs) slow slightly & then head out. I always figured they were using me to calibrate or test the Infrared "thingy" cause I was a target that was always in nearly the same place, & not moving. Sometimes I would waive.
    They haven't flown directly over me for at least 20 months, & not every night as in years past.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I get those weird looks from my wife all the time, but not just for the hammock. She swears I have a different obsession every week and has given up on trying to keep up with them all.

Never had anyone bother me when I've been out camping in my hammock, although that is most likely due to site selection well away from the grounders and those that drag a house on wheels to the woods.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Just wear pink tights, lime green tee shirt, and a mohawk hair cut and they'll stop noticing the hammock.

Problem solved.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    My next door neighbors looked at me kinda funny at first; but they're all a bunch of college-age musicians, so weird kinda comes with the territory. I don't complain when they've got twelve tents in their back yard during The Fest (yes, that's supposed to be capitalized; it's a local music festival each October) with all of their friends drinking until morning, and they don't complain when I test new gear in my front yard. It works.

The lawyer from further down the street stopped in one day to ask me about my set-up because a friend of his does DIY hammock stuff for camping.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    On my 1st river trip with a hammock, I got the shaking head, snickers, and occasional wise crack. By the end of the week, every single person had come over for a close-up inspection and trial run. I only answered questions that were asked. The night it was raining, my front porch was open for happy hour.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    My neighbors still think I am crazy, but what is new. My friends also think I am crazy, but they are not the outdoorsy type. My husband lets me do what I want, but doesn't normally join me in hanging in the backyard.
    The Corps Ranger is very interested in the hammock camping and wants me to give a class to his boy scout troop with lots of hammocks on display. I think they will be converts.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Me too. Family still doesn't get that it's more comfortable for me to hang in the backyard at my brother's place than to sleep on the old guest bed. Even if it IS raining- "I'll be FINE. I do this a LOT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    I only answered questions that were asked.
    Scotty, I wish so many more people could be like you!!

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I too have had the police called. Even though I was in my own yard! They came in and asked me if I was squatting! I had to show them my driver's license to prove I lived there.

I also have a mohawk right now for reasons I won't go into, but people don't really seem deterred by it. They still ask me lots of questions about my set up when they meet me.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My friends were skeptical till I gave them a DIY hammock for Christmas. With I side only UQ and tarp. One has tried it and liked it. The other has layed in mine and liked it but not gone camping yet
    I blame all grammatical errors on the iPhone

See my Completed DIY's
    Karo Under Quilt Adventure

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

Full Time since Dec '11

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OMG! They called the cops!

That's just plain funny. I've had law enforcement called on me for a whole bunch of different reasons, but never for looking for a hang spot.

To the question of 'are you weird', of course you are. We don't allow normal people to join here and the ones that do sneak in, get scared and leave quick. But, weird is good and to be embraced. The history books will refer to you as a leading edge outdoorsman. Keep up the good work and we'll have a hammock in every police cruiser before you know it.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast