Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question HH Tree Huggers vs JRB Tri-Glides?

Hello everybody,

The dreaded "newbie first time set up" question! Here goes:

I've had an HH Ultralight Backpacker now for a few months and been too busy to set it up until today. It was a challenge. I see the instructions don't mention "civil engineering degree not included."

I can see where a newbie could get hung up on (no pun intended) the figure-8 and 2 half-hitches lashing. That isn't my problem though. My problem are the Tree Huggers. The ones that came with it are so small, they don't fit around anything but the smallest trees. Now I'm not a big fella. But I'd rather hang my hammock around a substantial tree. I think it would be more secure and less stressful on the tree. And even if I didn't care, the small Tree Huggers that came with it aren't long enough to go around any of the trees in my yard.

One possibility of solving this problem is just to order longer replacement Tree Huggers from HH, and hang per manufacturer's recommendations. Another possibility may be ordering the JRB Tri-Glides. And another possibility may be a third option I haven't thought of yet but maybe you have.

What's your recommendation?

Thanks for your help,
    Rod

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF Rod!

When I discovered that my HH tree huggers were too small, I ordered the next biggest size from Hennessy. Now I can mix and match according to the conditions. Around here, some folks have gone to the Ring/Cinch buckle suspension system. If you do a tag search on Rings or buckles or suspension, there's lots of different threads about that.

The Tri-glides are useful for 1" wide straps. How were you planning to use those? It's a little confusing unless you were planning to replace the Hennessy suspension line with straps.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    I would give strong consideration to getting JRB Tri-Glides, or the
    JRB Tri-Glides & webbing package. (on sale through May 28)
    They are light, easy to use, and makes set up a lot faster.

For my ultra-light setup I used tree huggers & spectra lines
    (but for me they are tedious to set up, especially in bad weather)

So I bought JRB Tri-Glides and really like them. For me (and I tend
    to be a gram weenie) ease of use offsets the slight weight gain.

I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.
    I could never stand those tree huggers. Burned mine in a campfire.
    You can use cinch buckles and keep your stock Hennessy rope. Just tie the rope on the buckle with a prussic knot then cut the remaining rope. You can try it out first and then cut the rope later if you wish. Add polyester webbing to hang with from Strapworks.

OnRope1: Cinch 1"

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t-webbing.html

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 05-26-2008 at 12:55.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Hi, welcome! I hated the stock huggers too. I ordered some six foot replacements from Strapworks. Should work for most of the trees I encounter in the Sierras. Not going to be strapping up to any sugar pines or sequoias.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Hi, welcome! I hated the stock huggers too. I ordered some six foot replacements from Strapworks. Should work for most of the trees I encounter in the Sierras. Not going to be strapping up to any sugar pines or sequoias.
    Why not strap to huge trees? Looks like it might be fun.

Crazy Creek in Redwoods NP, CA - Need some longer webbing... Hammock Forums Gallery
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for your suggestions. I read up on the ring/cinch/buckle suspension systems. Now I'm wondering if/when the ridgeline is going to snap! Anyway, I ordered a set of Tri-Glides from JRB. Not very creative, I know. My plan is to tie off the HH's line to the loop end of the Tri-Glides as if I were tying it to a HH Tree Hugger, then hang with the Tri-Glides. If that doesn't work, I'll use a carabiner as shown at JRB.
    I'll post an update to let you all know if it works.

I use the HH ULB. I wouldn't be too concerned about tree size, just so it is alive. I have seen cars wrapped around trees that were around 6" in diameter. Smaller trees may sway a bit more in the wind but they won't drop widowmakers on you. I use the stock straps and if I can't wrap them completely around the tree I just run the suspension line between the 2 loops and do the figure 8 on the loop where the suspension line comes up from the hammock. I finish off the figure 8 with a slippery half-hitch. No need to complicate the set-up. When you get in the rope will pull away from the tree so there won't be any damage to the tree. Another option is to go to W-mart and buy a couple 6' dog leashes, probably cost you less than 10$. I use them as tree huggers for a travel hammock I have.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    For too short a length of tree huggers. Would the less than one wrap around the tree normally hold? That is not slide down the tree? If so, could you just hitching a descending ring on the Hennessy line, running the free end through the hugger loops back to ring to tie off. Save $$s, weight and volume by using your stock huggers and only having to add couple rings.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    For too short a length of tree huggers. Would the less than one wrap around the tree normally hold? That is not slide down the tree? If so, could you just hitching a descending ring on the Hennessy line, running the free end through the hugger loops back to ring to tie off. Save $$s, weight and volume by using your stock huggers and only having to add couple rings.
    Good idea. Like the saving money part.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast