Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the input. Looks like modding the hammock is the way to go.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think the bottom entry is the easiest way to get into a hammock, not only because its an easier and more stable motion by standing and sitting, but also because you enter at the end of the hammock away from the tarp. I've got a big tarp which makes for big, covered entry area where I can cook and organize my stuff. I have a 3/4 UQ and the bottom entry is not a factor.

However, because I don't have a zip on the bug net, I can't reach out to adjust the UQ when needed, and can be a PITA. The UQ attachment bungies can be a pain sometimes, but typically not a big deal. Also, the bottom entry is not as easy to use a pad as a top loader.

Personally, I love the bottom entry, but a more perfect hammock is one that has both bottom entry and zips on the net to be used to get in and out, or just to make UQ adjustments as needed.

I had the bottom entry, then bought the zip and wish I'd have kept the bottom entry.... I really like it.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    The ability to stand up in the bottom entry and turn around and sit down without the fear of flipping over backward is really nice, especially when you are slipping boots off or something like that. I use a homemade UQ with my Safari Deluxe, and it works just fine. For Pete's sake man get that hammock opened and give it a try. That's truly the only way you will find out if it "works" for you.
    I've never understood this fear. None of the hammocks I've tried have seemed so unstable that I was concerned I'd flip over. I liked the HH until I had to winter hang. imho it was a PITA having the bottom entry. I much prefer my Light Hiker now. One of these days I'll get around to doing the zipper mod on the HH.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I've never understood this fear. None of the hammocks I've tried have seemed so unstable that I was concerned I'd flip over. I liked the HH until I had to winter hang. imho it was a PITA having the bottom entry. I much prefer my Light Hiker now. One of these days I'll get around to doing the zipper mod on the HH.
    I have another thread in the Bottom Insulation area about the danger of an underquilt. To sum it up, I was wearing some out of the norm apparel (a motorcycle cold weather riding suit to be exact) and a hat with ear flaps, and couldn't see behind me when I went to get into my Eno DN. I grabbed the UQ thinking it was the edge of the hammock, pulled it back, leaned back, and promptly flipped myself over. Judging by the response, I am one of many to make just that simple mistake, so I think it's a justified fear. If fear is too strong maybe it's a justified concern. The hammock wasn't unstable, I just made a couple of tactical errors that caused me to invoke the law of gravity.

Hammock
    HH + DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    10'x10' DPM Basha
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    What about using a pulley like here to enter and then put in place the underquilt?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...33&postcount=7

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12