mgreenberg

Hello From New Hampshire

Hello! I'm new here. I bought an Exped Scout Combi from Don Kevilus of Four Dog Stove after he did a workshop entitled "Hammock at 30 Below." I tried out his rig (involving a sleeping bag wrapped around the hammock, a reflective pad between the floor layers, and another sleeping bag inside) on a 27 F night in Maine and I was too warm :-)

I'm a believer.

Next time I'm bringing some binoculars so I can see the stars.

An unexpected bonus is that I woke up without a stiff back. That's not usual for me. I'm thinking of ditching my old lumpy bed at home and just sleeping in a hammock full time. Has anyone here tried that? Someone said they'd heard that hammocks could cause injuries, especially for long term use. I haven't found any discussion of that on-line other than when people fall out of them, or kids getting them wrapped around their necks. Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. Any info on benefits of sleeping in a hammock also appreciated. Thanks!

Glad to be here!

Mike
    Last edited by mgreenberg; 01-09-2012 at 19:36.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hey Mike - Lots of full-timers here! Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been sleeping in a hammock full-time since mid 2007. There are others that have been doing it longer on this site and whole generations of people that have been doing it for a few hundred years. The only injuries I can see are self-inflicted ones. For instance, I heard a loud noise a few nights ago coming from upstairs. In my attempt to get up in a hurry from a full sleep, well, lets just say I'm glad nobody was watching. I discussed moving away from a mattress to a hammock with my Chiropractor at the time. Other than decreased revenues for him, he didn't voice any concerns. Five years later, I have less body pain in my 40s than I did in my late 20s. My mother, brother, and my girlfriend are all full-time hammockers as well and none can give you any reason to not use a hammock.

Go for it! I hedged my bet a little when I first got started; I didn't sell my bed for about 3 months...just in case. In the end, I don't miss it in the least.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    WL down uq
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    First welcome to the forum from another Granite Stater. Second I've been a "full timer" the last 11 months I have a bad back and sleeping in the hammock has been a huge improvement for me went from taking pills for the pain almost everyday to very rarely now. I think a big part of my problem was my mattress I just could not get comfortable to get to sleep and always woke up with some degree of back pain and another good thing to come out of this is when sleeping in the hammock I don't snore at all. When I slept in a bed my snoring could wake the whole house. As far as falling out I can't see how it could happen if you're using it properly and as for kids and hammocks I have no kids in my life as my son is grown now so I could not say anything on that.
    Backpacking: An extended form of hiking in which people carry double the amount of gear they need for half the distance they planned to go in twice the time it should take. ~Author Unknown
    Big Joe

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from another part-time Granite Stater, also another Mike!
    Definitely there are lots of people sleeping full time in their hammocks at home.

You got hooked up by an expert in the cold weather department. Don is the guru of winter.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

mgreenberg
    Thanks for the warm welcome! A friend ages ago suggested I use a hammock instead of a tent and I just didn't get it. Glad to finally know what she was talking about.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Welcome to the forums and hammock camping! I have attachments in my house and can accommodate four hammocks at a time. It's great; highly recommended.

There are lots of threads here about indoor hanging, so just search around (Google is actually a bit better at this than the internal engine).

Google: indoor hammock site:hammockforums.net

• + New Posts