Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why asym?

Why asym?

Dear all,

I am a newbie here and I started to love hammock camping as I read the threads here! And I am planing to get myself a hammock, DIY or buy it from the stores but I have a problem here deciding what to make/buy.

Why you guys go for an asym hammock? whats so good about being asym?

Sorry for my poor english as i am not a native english speaker.Thanks for answering!

Yiu

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    asym means that you lay in the hammock sort of sideways or off center of the main suspension ropes going to the trees. This tends to cause the hammock to feel more flat to you and to open up the inside of the hammock a bit more. With hammocks that lay right down the center, the hammock is more banana shaped and also more clastiphobic.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    You can however, and should, lie asym/diagonal in a "straight" hammock. So an asym hammock is built basically in the shape that you will lie in, while a standard "straight" gathered end hammock you will lie diagonally in and the fabric will just conform to you rather than being cut that way. I have never been in an asym hammock, only "straight" hammocks that I have laid asym in.

歡迎! to the forums also.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    If you imagine a line running straight down the middle of the hammock from foot end to head end, that is the main axis of the hammock. If you lie along that line, the hammock will sag down in the middle where you are most heavy and will not be very flat. If you lie assymetrically (with head to one side of the line and feet to the other side), you will force the hammock to stretch out some and become flatter. You should do this on any hammock. Assym hammocks are simply designed with this in mind. They often have extra fabric on the sides to allow you to lie further off axis (flatter), like the footbox in the Warbonnet Blackbird.

Happy hanging!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    You can however, and should, lie asym/diagonal in a "straight" hammock. So an asym hammock is built basically in the shape that you will lie in, while a standard "straight" gathered end hammock you will lie diagonally in and the fabric will just conform to you rather than being cut that way. I have never been in an asym hammock, only "straight" hammocks that I have laid asym in.

歡迎! to the forums also.
    I see! So basically there is no true asym hammock on the market, it all depends on how you lie in the hammock, can i say that? I guess I will follow the DIY hennessy thread to make one and add some modifications.

btw, your greeting is so warm! The last thing here I thought I could see are chinese words! Actually, I think I am the first guy from Hong Kong here. Hammock camping is a cold topic here (Havn't heard of anyone mentioning it). XD

Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    If you imagine a line running straight down the middle of the hammock from foot end to head end, that is the main axis of the hammock. If you lie along that line, the hammock will sag down in the middle where you are most heavy and will not be very flat. If you lie assymetrically (with head to one side of the line and feet to the other side), you will force the hammock to stretch out some and become flatter. You should do this on any hammock. Assym hammocks are simply designed with this in mind. They often have extra fabric on the sides to allow you to lie further off axis (flatter), like the footbox in the Warbonnet Blackbird.

Happy hanging!
    Thank you! Hopefully I will have my first hammock this month!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopie
    My first hammock was a standard outdoor hammock from Kmart, no net. I laid in it diagonally and was real comfortable. I just got the WBBB which is cut for the diagonal lay, slept in it last night for the first time. I have to get used to it.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danielleung314 View Post
    I see! So basically there is no true asym hammock on the market, it all depends on how you lie in the hammock, can i say that? I guess I will follow the DIY hennessy thread to make one and add some modifications.
    Pretty much, yes. As far as I know, anyway.

It only really seems to matter when an integral bug net is involved; the asymmetrical tie-outs help with keeping the netting away from your face and feet (since mosquitoes can bite through the netting if you're pressed against it).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Well I don't actually know chinese, but I can copy and paste with the best of them.
    You might also want to check out The Ultimate Hang, tons of great info in there. There is a Kindle version so you can get instant gratification.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

@ Redoleary, google translate helped to make sure i didn't fail French when it was compulsory in the lower years of school =)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast