WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I used a 12.5' piece of lawson's Ironwire for my ridgelines. After splicing in a tarp cross on one end and larks heading them to the d-ring they are probably just over 11' . I use the wrap around method the forms a V for the suspension to pass through and commonly use most of that length. I have not yet needed any extensions.

For my corner tieouts I again went with 12.5' (50' cut in 4 sections) of Lawson's Glowire. Honestly it is way more than I need. Usually there is 3-8' of line left over depending on how I pitch the tarp; dependent on weather.

For my doors I used the remaining 25' of Ironwire divided evenly; 6.25' each. From those I created whoopie slings that adjust from 1-5'. These are connected then to a short section of shockcord (12") that wraps around the tree. The whoopies hook on with mitten hooks. This has worked well and usually there is less than 18" of tail hanging out of the whoopies.

I have yet to find a system for the pannel pulls that I am happy with. I'm considering another hybrid whoopie/shockcord system. I will not comment on the current length of those lines at this time.

So for me my entire rigging (minus pannel pulls) is comprised of 50' of Ironwire & 50' of Glowire. I just hate to waste cordage and a couple extra ounces is worth the weight to me. I know, if need be, that I have extra there if I needed it for something or a line got damaged.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

8' braided mason line! 10' for side pull outs!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I go with 2 arm spans for guy lines and pulls outs.

I'm 5'9" so that gets me around 11'6" roughly. I'm not too concerned with the weight of a couple feet of Lashit that I may not use.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL & DIY
    Tarp
    8'x10' SilNylon
    Insulation
    HG 40* Phoeonix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    I decided to go with...

Ridgeline: (1.9mm) Tech Line from backwoodsdaydreamer
    guylines: hammock opening - 6' (1.5mm) Spectra from Zpacks with micro line locs
    hammock shelf area - 4' (1.5mm) Spectra from Zpacks with micro line locs
    3 extra extension pieces at 5' a piece

In my 3 years of hammock camping and backpacking I have never come close to using 8' of guyline. Even in porch mode. I used to use the Nite Ize Figure 9 Reflective guyline set.

Quote Originally Posted by PAHikingTrails View Post
    I decided to go with...
    In my 3 years of hammock camping and backpacking I have never come close to using 8' of guyline. Even in porch mode.
    see this is what I am wondering, and the search that lead me to this thread........ (assumption, i can knot and/or bling as required)..

tiny guylines with back up extensions? I have a warbonnet Mamajamba.. 2 ridge lines, 4 tie outs and 4 pull outs.. Doesn't it make sense to err on the short side, and carry a few "add on" extensions for the two or three points where you are short? Rather than factoring a safety margin for 10 points?

I am a gram weenie, but my Warbonnet setup prioritizes comfort (i have another UL setup).. doesn't mean we still can't still be smart about it..

tl:dr; how much cordage could you remove if you carried 2 (maybe 4 foot) extensions, to add where it was needed? and is doing so, worth the added complexity... just shower thoughts....

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY 1.9 PU nylon
    Insulation
    DIY APEX 5.0 TQ/BQ
    Suspension
    Becket or Whoopie
    Images
    I found braided mason twine at HomeDepot that can be spliced like zing-it or amsteel. Not all braided mason line can be spliced so pick up a sample before you buy it and make sure. I make 4' dogbones (about 1" locked brummel end loops) and just daisy-chain them together to make the length I need. Having no knots seems to keep the tangles "manageable." When I'm putting them away, I have a plastic "hoop" kite reel and I chain them all together and wrap it all as if it were one piece. It comes in bright colors (flo-yellow, flo-pink, flo-orange) and is cheap (< $10 for 500' roll.) I just wish I could find it in drab green or black.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    For corner lines I think mine are 6' finished length, been a while since I made them. Lawson Glowire with some shock cord tensioners. I also carry two extra 6' lengths to use as extensions for other set up options.

Ridgeline is a Dutchware continuous so 30' of Lash-It IIRC.

I'm going to be making new tarps soon starting with a winter one so will likely make new guy lines so lengths may change but I intend to use the same materials.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    6' of Lawson reflective 2.2 attached to tarp by Zpacks line loc 3's on webbing. Very easy to use even with gloves on. I carry 12' pieces on mitten clips for my side guy outs but honestly have never used them. I usually get my tarp tight enough without them. My doors are on with shock cord again attached with line loc 3's for adjustability. They have Dutch's tarp door hooks on them. I have run 6' lines on every tarp I have owned and have never felt they were too short, even for porch mode. The only reason I may be changing that soon is because I am in a bridge hammock now and want to keep the tarp a little higher and sides splayed out more.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I go back and forth between 6-8' I've recently switched over to Glow wire from lashit because I wanted the reflective tracers. I do have some Dutch wire to try out on my summer setup this year.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I do yellow zing it i got from dutchware. 8' on the ridgeline pull outs and 8' on the corners.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast