Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Omg so I got a strand of cat 5 wire and and tried to make a bury in this lash-it. Wow this is freaking hard. So I got the wire through the lash-it but couldn't for the life of me get the dam end to go through the bury.

While I use a strand of Cat5 to splice Zing-it & Lash-it, you're going to find it very frustrating to use as a first-time noob at splicing. It wouldn't be my first choice since it is none too stiff. It's hard to milk it through but it can be done with Cat5 (don't strip the plastic off the wire). You are better off finding a stiffer wire for learning. You'd be better off learning to splice with a larger diameter rope like 7/64 or 1/8 Amsteel - much easier to work with.

A taper is generally recommended, but I don't use one for my Zing-It adjustable structural ridgeline. The ASR won't be under that much load anyway. However, the taper will make it easier to milk through, especially if you're using a Cat5 strand.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Ok so I have no problem putting the doubled wire through but how the heck do you attach the wire to the end that is being pulled through?

Pictures of your devices might help me out.

My finger and thumb are sore already lol
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If you use a nice long taper - maybe 2" or so - and only fold it back at 1" to hook with the fid, the diameter of the doubled line that you're trying to pull into the bury is about the same as a the single line. That makes it easier to get it started. Also, before you hook the taper with the fid, yank the fid this way and that to enlarge the hole in the line.

Because zing-it and lash-it are not as strong as other, better choices for structural ridge lines, you're potentially working much closer to their load limit, so it's conceivable that a taper is more necessary than it is for a main suspension of amsteel, not less. I don't know how the diameter of the line affects that characteristic, however.

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Ok thanks got the taper but with this cat 5 wire idk how i need to attach the rope to pull it through.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    This is the definitive and original tutorial on whoopie slings use on hammocks, that I think can fairly said to have ignited the craze. In my opinion SloBro belongs in the HF legend book because of this post.

Now there's no way you're going to get a yarn needle through LashIt, your only hope is bent wire. I have used one of the lighter guitar strings. The main procedural difference between what SloBro shows and what you'd do is to push the bent end of the wire through the bury to where it catches the (tapered) end, thread it, and then PULL the cord through. In the SloBro tutorial you PUSH the threaded needle through the bury.

Most of the mark-up stuff in the tutorial you can ignore.
    Thanks Grizz, I'm glad the tutorial has been useful, but it was ZA206, Frawg, TeeDee, and Hangnout that got me started on whoopies. I just wrote it out so I could understand it. And speaking of the HF legend book- Grizz, I believe you qualify for first tier billing there.

As to darn yarn-darning needles, I totally agree. Use fine gauge stiff wire bent in half and start at the OUT point, slip the bent end of the wire down the middle and exit the IN point. Place the free end you want to bury in the bend of the wire and pull the wire back out which will bury the free end nice and neat.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Ahhhhh dang I feel like a dummie now thanks SlowBro you have made it clear that I did it backwards. I started at the IN but it did get it through eventually. It only took me about 2 hours to do a 2" bury. lol
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Ahhhhh dang I feel like a dummie now thanks SlowBro you have made it clear that I did it backwards. I started at the IN but it did get it through eventually. It only took me about 2 hours to do a 2" bury. lol
    Think of it as a learning experience
    Glad you got it, though.
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123