Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema

Earplugs - good or bad idea?

Just curious. I don't sleep well in a hammock just because I'm jumpy and feel vulnerable out in black bear country (justified or not). It's definitely worse because I only hang a few nights a year so I never settle into a routine, but I don't see that changing. Earplugs would probably help a lot, but it seems kind of unsafe to me. What are your opinions on them?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I use them and have never had an issue. Without them I'd never fall asleep due to how loud mother nature is. You can still hear the needed sounds as in a bear near or a coyote yelling or owls hooting but it drowns out a lot of that background noise and makes sleeping a lot easier.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    reflective foam
    Suspension
    Straps
    I've been hammock camping for over 3 years now and never had an issue with ear plugs. I too find it hard to sleep with the sounds in the wilderness. It's not the actual noise, but the frequency/infrequency of the different sounds and db levels. They make me jump right away. I started doing this many years ago with tent camping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    +1....sometimes the sounds of the forest (Cicadas, bull frogs, Armadillos, etc.) will keep me awake and there's always the other hangers to might be sawing logs in the middle of the night. I just keep a couple of pairs in a ziplock bag inside all my hammocks "just in case".

I'm a fairly recent convert, but now never travel without the little foam ones -- whether in the backcountry or a hostel/hotel. Babbling brooks, blabbing neighbors, snoring companions are all rendered inoffensive with a pair in my ears. I've never worried about bears or humans (likely the bigger danger...), partly out of general optimism and partly as some noise does still penetrate the plugs. RE bears, I'm a diligent bear canister user and/or bear-bag hanger, which includes making sure everything I have with a scent is properly stored and that the can/bag is well away from where I sleep. I've never had a problem/regret using the earplugs.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I use them sometimes but mainly to dampen the noise from the wind or rowdy scouts. I am not concerned about the animal noises and am not sure what I would do anyway. Laying quietly in a hammock when animals are around has work best so far. But I am not sure if any of the noises I have "heard" were actual bears. Deer, skunks, squirrels... they don't care and will walk right up to you to investigate.

Store your food properly (next to the guys in the tents ), cook away from your sleeping area, and sleep quietly in your hammock. Some call it a bear burrito and earplugs will just add to the squishy center.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Snoring is the only thing that keeps me up. But I'm usually solo so I don't bring them. I don't like wearing them anyway because of the "hiss" sound or whatever you call it (listening to the ocean in a shell )

And I can hear my heart beating...or blood pumping around my head...not sure exactly. But that's more annoying than anything outside to me.

On a complete tangent: wear them anytime you use your lawnmower, snowblower, trimmer, etc! Protect your hearing for the future. Just because that mower isn't "hurting" your ears doesn't mean it's not doing continuous damage.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I don't. I wouldn't. I guess I value my situational awareness too much. That's just my $0.02. Besides, the how sounds of nature at night are part of the enjoyable experience of camping for me.

(For the record and FWIW I'd be more concerned about the intent of an approaching person in the woods at night than any approaching animal...)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    I use earbuds and listen to classical music til I fall asleep....

Hammock
    10.5" DIY 1.0 HyperD Lime Green
    Tarp
    DIY 11'4
    Insulation
    DIY 850 up/under
    Suspension
    Dutch bling Whoopi
    I keep a pair of earplugs in the Ridgeline organizer of ever hammock I have.

I don't always use them but they have come in handy. Examples.. Owls "who cooks for you yawww." Everytime your drifting to sleep. Coyote howling into the night. Logging trucks.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast