WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Sometimes coming to a consensus with a large group is difficult and inevitably some people will be disappointed. It's a large enough group that it's not unreasonable to split into two groups if necessary. I remember that was a suggestion on a previous canoe trip (trippers vs campers) when the route was being discussed. I know for chard fishing is a main point. Jayson is also interested in fishing. Dan is up for a more remote location as am I.

I'm just putting it out there because I've been through this in the past with other groups. It's not as big a deal for a car camping hang but it would be a shame to travel all that way north and not have everyone get what they want out of the trip.

Thoughts?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Sometimes coming to a consensus with a large group is difficult and inevitably some people will be disappointed. It's a large enough group that it's not unreasonable to split into two groups if necessary. I remember that was a suggestion on a previous canoe trip (trippers vs campers) when the route was being discussed. I know for chard fishing is a main point. Jayson is also interested in fishing. Dan is up for a more remote location as am I.

I'm just putting it out there because I've been through this in the past with other groups. It's not as big a deal for a car camping hang but it would be a shame to travel all that way north and not have everyone get what they want out of the trip.

Thoughts?
    Hey Bubba,

For me fishing is just an added bonus, something to pass the time between gathering firewood, eating and just hanging around. It's a nice to-have, but not a deal breaker. Personally I usually like to push a little harder and go a little further just to see what's around the next bend.

On that note, I've got a bit of an update on the Niger Lake access issues. I've confirmed that there is a dirt road that runs up and through the area, Troutspawn Road, but it isn't plowed in the winter. That's good for snowshoeing but bad for parking.

I spoke with a couple of the cottage resorts at Oxtongue and there seems like there's a good chance to park in their lots: I'll know more tonight. A lot depends on the snow conditions. They're expecting 30cm of snow tonight and tomorrow but then rain after that. What a weird winter!!

Finally, on the downside, if you want to call it that, the chap I spoke with said that there would likely be snowmobile around Niger traffic during the day, especially on a long weekend. So unlike the tranquility of Algonquin, we might have to listen to snowmobiles. That does put a different spin on things.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post

I spoke with a couple of the cottage resorts at Oxtongue and there seems like there's a good chance to park in their lots: I'll know more tonight. A lot depends on the snow conditions. They're expecting 30cm of snow tonight and tomorrow but then rain after that. What a weird winter!!

Finally, on the downside, if you want to call it that, the chap I spoke with said that there would likely be snowmobile around Niger traffic during the day, especially on a long weekend. So unlike the tranquility of Algonquin, we might have to listen to snowmobiles. That does put a different spin on things.
    I was going to mention the snowmobile/atv trail thing too. I was out at an outdoor store this afternoon and flipped through the Back Country Map book for the Algonquin area and there is an ATV/snowmobile trail that runs down the west side of of Niger Lake. So as Chard phrased it, you have the tranquility of Algonquin vs. listening to snowmobile traffic all weekend during the day.

Another point on the pro side for Algonquin is the fact that you have to check in and give your destination and route details to the park. So it is another group of people very close at hand to aid you if you end up being overdue from your trip.

As for shuttling of vehicles and parking else where, this still means that 1 vehicle needs to be parked safely at the trail head for the duration of the trip.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hmmmm. Well I'm not one for snowmobile noise and as mentioned, a long weekend would likely be busier. The others haven't chimed in yet so I guess we'll decide closer to the date?

Brian - are any of your friends hangers?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Not really interested in bringing our sled, so dont really want to listen to it all weekend.

Gonna vote Algonquin.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm leaning towards Algonquin as well.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmmmm. Well I'm not one for snowmobile noise and as mentioned, a long weekend would likely be busier. The others haven't chimed in yet so I guess we'll decide closer to the date?

Brian - are any of your friends hangers?
    Bubba

From what I have gathered, most of the people coming form wintertrekking.com are all ground dwellers. There will be a few hot tents and some cold tent people.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    One that has a roof
    Tarp
    strong and sturdy
    Images
    Since the snowmobiling season has been poor this year - expect a lot of traffic on any snowmobile trails over the next couple of weekends. I've been checking the otherside of Algonquin and the season has been bad there too... For those fishing - be careful of the ice its been a bad year on the ice - a friend of mine near that area was checking the ice not good ice lots of melts and freezes and more melts to come so if you are on the ice make sure you have ice picks - and change of clothes nearby. Suggest going into the park for tranquility reasons.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It snowed and was cold on the weekend but now its 8 degrees where I am.
    I hope there will be ebough snow and cold temps on this trip. I may need to just bring a pack because there won't be enough snow to pull a pulk.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    It snowed and was cold on the weekend but now its 8 degrees where I am.
    I hope there will be ebough snow and cold temps on this trip. I may need to just bring a pack because there won't be enough snow to pull a pulk.
    A lot of Snow would have to Melt!!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast