Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    As for a location in Algonquin Park. I will throw out the recommendation of the Mike's that we met at Valens. That is the Old Railway Bike Trail with access via the Pog Lake Camground. I like that it is a relatively flat trail with only a couple of hills to contend with. Looking at the Google Maps of the area, the Old Railway Bike trail is pretty close to the Madawaska River and after a short distance hits the top end of Whitefish Lake and is about a 2km trek in (roughly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    Brian, I did the Highland Trail last year dragging a toboggan with my hot tent, stove and gear. The hills nearly killed me. On the way back, I came across that bike trail. I took it back to the Mew Lake campground. So the bike rail is definitely a good idea. It is fairly flat and will take us back as far as we want. It's a good trail.
    Both points are well taken. Algonquin's bike trail sound's perfect. My only request would be to camp near a lake, northwest end please, for both the view and easy access to water using my unpowered hand auger. One of the Mike's, the one in the photo, mentioned that they'd be heading north of Hwy 60 to Source Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
    Is the date set for sure? I have to let my boss know so she'll approve my leave. Oh, and I also have to take the time off at work.
    As far as the date goes, I just threw it out there as the first reasonable weekend to head up, and so far, no one's chimed up as to anything different. Let's give it to the end of this weekend before we fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    I do want to go to this... But I think that I'm out of vacation until MAHHA... Those Fridays sure do go though the vacation time quick.

I'll look into it but I think i'm shot for anything not encompassed by a weekend.
    Algonquin's a bit of a long drive for an overnighter, but I don't expect we'll have headed too far into the bush. We'll definitely have a spot by the fire ready for you if you could make it!!
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    I do want to go to this... But I think that I'm out of vacation until MAHHA... Those Fridays sure do go though the vacation time quick.

I'll look into it but I think i'm shot for anything not encompassed by a weekend.
    Dan's vacation comment confused me until I looked at the dates, I thought we were doing the Saturday to the Monday (As Monday is a stat Holiday) so no vacation time would be needed? I can't do the 17th; another Vacation Request in Feb could lead to one dead Water Mammal If going from Firday to Sunday is prefered can I suggest the first weekend in March (2nd to 4th)??
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 01-13-2012 at 10:05.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Dan's vacation comment confused me until I looked at the dates, I thought we were doing the Saturday to the Monday (As Monday is a stat Holiday) so no vacation time would be needed? I can't do the 17th; another Vacation Request in Feb could lead to one dead Water Mammal If going from Firday to Sunday is prefered can I suggest the first weekend in March (2nd to 4th)??
    Screech!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa there boy!!!!
    [o]TTer, you're totally right!!!!! Everyone please shift the timeline from Friday 17 to 19 to Saturday 18 to 20.

Sorry all...
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Screech!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa there boy!!!!
    [o]TTer, you're totally right!!!!! Everyone please shift the timeline from Friday 17 to 19 to Saturday 18 to 20.

Sorry all...
    That makes more sense. I was wondering about that. So it will be two nights, the Saturday and the Sunday right?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg TQ&UQ
    Suspension
    straps+tri.rings
    I wish I come out there and meet some of the local hangers (and mostly LEARN from you!), unfortunately I don't think my setup is winter ready yet, having just got a hammock over the holidays i am lacking in the insulation department. Snowshoeing is one of my main winter activities too I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BullishD View Post
    I wish I come out there and meet some of the local hangers (and mostly LEARN from you!), unfortunately I don't think my setup is winter ready yet, having just got a hammock over the holidays i am lacking in the insulation department. Snowshoeing is one of my main winter activities too I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing how it goes!
    BullishD

If you are relatively close to Algonquin, come out for a day visit and meet everyone and check out their gear. We are only planning to be a couple of kilometers (at most) from the cars. Keep an eye on this thread for the final route and destination we are going to take.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Ok, with that minor modification I'm now looking for snowshoes... and a pulk.... I don't like the MSR shoes at MEC and am looking at a set of Ojibwes.... God this camping thing gets expensive...

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ok, with that minor modification I'm now looking for snowshoes... and a pulk.... I don't like the MSR shoes at MEC and am looking at a set of Ojibwes.... God this camping thing gets expensive...
    While you'll probably need snowshoes, I'm starting to wonder if we all need to have some from of pulk. Certainly we can share? Split the load between 2 or 3 sleds? If we stay on the mainly on the bike paths then we shouldn't need high tech pulks.. At least, that's my take on it.

Personally, I plan on bring my 5' aluminum standard downhill kid's toboggan. Served me well on 100+ ice fishing trips; should do for an overnighter! If we were bushwacking, then that might be a different story, but our trails are mostly flat and groomed. At least as far as the general area of our final site. (K.I.S.S.).

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Dan, not sure but I may be able to wrangle a spare set that you can use. Need to make a phone call to find out for sure.

At this point doesnt look like we will be able to afford to buy a under and overquilts heavy enough for this trip. If that is the case i would have two pairs of snowshoes to loan out.

Would be great if we could borrow two underquilts for the trip. We have top insulation covered.
    Last edited by Jayson; 01-13-2012 at 18:59.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 winter UQ
    Suspension
    Strap & Buckle
    I still think you guys are a little nuts. this is too much winter for me. but have a great one anyways
    "We have much to do and less time to do it in"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast