UKHammocks - Woodsman X (Double)
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi NS40.
    Welcome from the midlands, been up north of the border a few times, always lucky with the weather so far! Even raced around Loch Ness (1st Monster), fantastic scenery, can't wait to head back, family willing.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Welcome from Michigan.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    Yes the top one is something I've been meaning to do all year, just not got round to it yet.... But I've not been sleepin in the mozzie net side since the end of summer. No mozzies here now.

I found a packet of zipper pulls in a camping shop for a couple of Euros. They have a fat plastic end and are easy to find and grab to close the net. RVops site suggested using a longer piece of paracord but I found ir just got trapped under me when I got into the hammock.

Finally I've definitely recommend whoopies. Way better than the tape you get from DD.
    Cheers
    Gareth
    Hi Gareth

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, both gratefully received.

I'd been thinking about plastic zipper pulls too but thought they might still be fiddly to find in the dark. If I'm adding paracord I'm going to keep it fairly short (couple of inches or so) and use the lovely bright yellow 3mm stuff I've got which glows nicely after dark.

I was also thinking of having a short length of slim shock chord which clips onto the paracord loop on the zip and then clips to the shock chord I've set up inside the ridge of the mozzie net. In theory it should sit flat against the mozzie net but be easy enough to find in the dark when I'm in the hammock (find chord, slide hand down to zip, pull open, exit hammock and run away from scary monsters descending on me )

I've a feeling I might be going for whoopies as it seems the most recommended option. I think I'll treat myself next month as I've got a few other bits to get (plus my wife is going to kill me if she realises how much I've spent so far this month)

I feel an awful lot of experimentation and tinkering coming on...

Cheers

NS

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes. Seems like a friendly place so looking forward to becoming part of the community.

Regards

NS

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NS40 View Post
    Hi Gareth

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, both gratefully received.

I'd been thinking about plastic zipper pulls too but thought they might still be fiddly to find in the dark. If I'm adding paracord I'm going to keep it fairly short (couple of inches or so) and use the lovely bright yellow 3mm stuff I've got which glows nicely after dark.

I was also thinking of having a short length of slim shock chord which clips onto the paracord loop on the zip and then clips to the shock chord I've set up inside the ridge of the mozzie net. In theory it should sit flat against the mozzie net but be easy enough to find in the dark when I'm in the hammock (find chord, slide hand down to zip, pull open, exit hammock and run away from scary monsters descending on me )

I've a feeling I might be going for whoopies as it seems the most recommended option. I think I'll treat myself next month as I've got a few other bits to get (plus my wife is going to kill me if she realises how much I've spent so far this month)

I feel an awful lot of experimentation and tinkering coming on...

Cheers

NS
    I don't actually find it too hard to get in and out with the net... if you leave one leg outside, so you can reach right forward. Zip up half way, then slip the second leg inside, it is fairly easy. The zipper pulls or paracord help... not sure it needs to be over complicated. They are not at all fiddly... far easier than the tab on the zipper alone. I find they fall to hand no problem.

Whoopies are great. I got mine from UK hammocks.com they work just fine.. they make setting up just so easy.

however I got a second set, for my son who has the Frontline, from DD and the fixed loop end for attaching to the hammock was too short. There was not enough space between it and the bury to go all the way through the channel. I had to add another loop of climbing chord...bit of a pain. Don't know why they made them like that.
    Finally I initially got the snakeskin sleeve when I first bought the hammock.. but it is not really that practical. It makes the whole package much bigger and is quite awkward to roll up.
    I now find it just quicker and easier to use a small dry sack and stuff it in. It is quicker, smaller than the snake skin and waterproof. (thanks to a Ray Mears video for the tips). I also now roll up my tarp as Ray does (no hero worship I assure you...) but having tried various options it really is the fast and easy and makes setting up way faster. The finished tarp rolled up is also much more compact.

Happy hammocking
    Gareth

Welcome!

Ah, hello! There seem to be three of us from north of the border now! Barely a minority anymore

You're right about the football team thing, that said, unlike in Glasgow there's no penalty for picking the other hammock!

Have fun, keep us all updated!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12