Thread: NJ Pine Barrens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WB Trav
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix

NJ Pine Barrens

I finally convinced my boyfriend that hammocks might be better than tents so I'm in the very initial stages of planning a 4-5 day hike through the barrens. I've done some car camping there so I'm somewhat familiar with their rules on tent camping and dogs, but I'm new to hammocks and to backpacking so I do have some other questions:

When you hammock camp in the pine barrens do you set up camp wherever you want, or do you stay to the assigned tent areas?

If you're not in one of their assigned campsites do you need to have a permit?

Have any of you taken your dogs with you on a multi night trip, and if so do you try to stay evenings at one of their dog friendly sites?

I do not want to step on toes with the hammocks nor the dog. I am planning on some day and overnight hikes between now and then as well.

Thanks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brownham View Post
    I finally convinced my boyfriend that hammocks might be better than tents so I'm in the very initial stages of planning a 4-5 day hike through the barrens. I've done some car camping there so I'm somewhat familiar with their rules on tent camping and dogs, but I'm new to hammocks and to backpacking so I do have some other questions:

When you hammock camp in the pine barrens do you set up camp wherever you want, or do you stay to the assigned tent areas?

If you're not in one of their assigned campsites do you need to have a permit?

Have any of you taken your dogs with you on a multi night trip, and if so do you try to stay evenings at one of their dog friendly sites?

I do not want to step on toes with the hammocks nor the dog. I am planning on some day and overnight hikes between now and then as well.

Thanks
    these are the pine barren sites http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...3a9bda1e&msa=0
    dogs are permitted in Batona, Hawkins Bridge, Godfrey, Buttonwood, Bass river and Lower Forge. you must produce the proper paper work for dog. Licensing and rabies.
    permits are $2-($20 @ Bass Rr)
    Stealth camping in against the law and fines range from $70-$5000.
    Hammocking is permitted through out.
    If you want to hike from one of these sites i have lists of hikes different miles.
    I would suggest Batona Camp over nite with a hike to Apple Pie Hill for a start.
    Permits from http://www.batstovillage.org/ tell them Kayak and Kaia sent you
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WB Trav
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Thanks! That map is awesome. "Stealth camping" is camping in a random spot without a permit, aye? I've overnighted with my dog in Byrne but we didnt do any hiking up there.

There is no map of batona on the njdep website, how are the primitive sites set up? Are they a big area designated for camping and you stake your claim on a section?

I'd love your list of hikes.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brownham View Post
    Thanks! That map is awesome. "Stealth camping" is camping in a random spot without a permit, aye? I've overnighted with my dog in Byrne but we didnt do any hiking up there.

There is no map of batona on the njdep website, how are the primitive sites set up? Are they a big area designated for camping and you stake your claim on a section?

I'd love your list of hikes.
    Here's a map.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...atona14web.pdf

I've been to Lower Forge and Batona primitive campsites. They are just big areas with signs that say "campsite limits" so you know the boundaries. They don't have individual campsites with numbers, if that's what you are wondering.

Kayak Karl has done the entire Batona Trail. In the last couple of months I've done Batsto to Lower Forge (7.5 miles), Lower Forge to Batona (6.5 miles), and Batona to Apple Pie Hill (3.8 miles).

Hammock
    WB Trav
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    More great info thanks!

• + New Posts