DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Post Going to the ground

Just wondering who has had expirience/ tips about having to go to the ground while hammocking...
    "be prepared" as they say

Hammock
    DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide
    I use a frameless backpack and use part of a zlite (closed cell foam) pad as the frame and support for the pack. I also use it to sit on around camp if necessary and can use it as a floor mat getting in and out of the ole hammock. My dog actually sleeps on it when he's with me. It has a lot of uses, but if I have to go to ground I have that.

So tarp pitched with sticks or brush, closed cell foam for torso, use backpack to insulate under feet and legs and throw the quilt on top. Shoes or jacket (depending on how cold it gets) as a pillow. It basically becomes an ultra light set up.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Knock on wood, I haven't HAD to go to the ground yet, but I am prepared if the need arises. When I was a kid, we used to camp in the woods with just a sleeping bag, and had fun constructing various shelters, windbreaks, and "beds". I also had cold weather survival training in the Marine Corps, and we constructed and bivouacked in snow caves, quinzees, etc.

I am still using a sleeping bag as my top quilt, and have moved to an underquilt now on my BB. However, I used a Big Agnes Air Core when I was still in a tent, and I still take out with me on every trip as a sit pad for around the campfire (I only partially inflate it, and fold it so it has a "chair back" when I lean it against a tree. No holes yet, but even if it were to happen, I have a repair kit with me.

In an emergency scenario, I can lower my tarp closer to the ground, use my hiking poles as "tent poles" for the hammock body to prop up the bug net, and the air core as a mat. Basically, you just turn your setup into a tarp tent. Without a pad, you can still improvise one with pine boughs or dry leaves. Birch bark layered on top, if available, can help keep your bag/ quilt a little cleaner and make it slightly more comfortable.

If it was a dire situation, say 33 degrees and raining, you could always use your tarp as a bivy by wrapping it around your body. Even though it's thin material, it still would add some insulative value. I would take a ruined tarp over hypothermia any day.

"Be prepared" is defintely the way to go, but also remember "Improvise, adapt, and overcome". Man slept outside for millenia before Silnylon, Cuben, Air Matresses and the like were invented.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Instructions for going to ground:

1. Lay on ground.
    2. Suffer.
    3. Repeat as necessary.

I find it difficult to envision a scenario that would send me to ground again. What conditions would make you go to ground, out of curiosity?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    I've spent many years sleeping on the ground.. Since I've discovered "sleeping on air" I would do my best to avoid the ground.. worse came to be I guess I do keep an extra tarp with incase I need it for the ground, or a "tent".

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    ExpeditionExplorer
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    How about being in a field?Or a big unanticipated sign that says
    WARNING:
    NO TYING TO TREES
    FINE $150

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I still use a pad in my hammock, so I'm ready for ground anytime. When I can afford an underquilt, I'll still carry my torso-length z-rest, and will still be ready for the ground, but I'll sure try harder to find a place to hang... sleeping on a z-rest is doable on soft ground, but not very comfortle on a shelter floor or rocky mountain top.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I prepare for an emergency situation where I may be forced to go to ground while day hiking from a base camp, which covers me for situations where I might not be able to set up my primary shelter, be it a tent or a hammock. I use an REI minimalist bivy sack and an Exped Bivy Poncho. They are light weight and not very bulky and fit in the messenger style sling pack I use for a day pack that also contains my First Aid Kit, water, and other Emergency items.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolf in a Hammock View Post
    How about being in a field?Or a big unanticipated sign that says
    WARNING:
    NO TYING TO TREES
    FINE $150
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I still use a pad in my hammock, so I'm ready for ground anytime. When I can afford an underquilt, I'll still carry my torso-length z-rest, and will still be ready for the ground, but I'll sure try harder to find a place to hang... sleeping on a z-rest is doable on soft ground, but not very comfortle on a shelter floor or rocky mountain top.

If I could have climbed another 800 ft, crossed the pass and then dropped ~ another 1400 ft, I could have got to trees. But I was sick, it was approaching dark, and I just couldn't do it. So, pitch the tarp and lay on the ground. Two hangers slept under this tarp. Can you imagine the misery if I had not brought my pad? (this would have been my 3rd ever night in a hammock if there had been any trees)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    this was one reason of the reasons why I use a bridge hammock and a pad. A bridge hammock is a pads best friend and if I have to go down it is an automatic 1 person tent!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast