DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things

Seams in a Gathered End Hammock

I'm watching Shug's Snipe review video with envy this morning, pondering how I might go about making a gathered end that lays that flat. It seems the biggest factor in its crazy flat lay is how wide the fabric is, a full 56".

I was planning on starting a new hammock today (bridge) but after seeing this video, I'm inclined to give a gathered end a try. Trouble is, I can't find any nylon or polyester at the local fabric store that's 56" wide. My first thought is to sew together two pieces to get the desired width, but the seam down the middle of the hammock worries me. It isn't going to stretch as much as the fabric around it does.

Have any of you tried this? If so, what experience can you offer? Would it be better to use polyester, since it should in theory stretch a bit less than nylon?

One option I considered was actually sewing two narrower pieces to a wider piece, say two strips 10" wide, one on each side of a 36" wide piece. I hope that isn't too confusing an explanation. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Frost; 01-13-2012 at 08:40.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    If I were to make another hammock (and let's face it, none of is going to STOP making hammocks) it would be a bridge. I've tried lots of different lengths and widths and found that a simple 11-foot long, 60" wide hammock with Knotty's Stretch-Side mod works best. This is, in a sense, what the Snipe is.

If on the other hand I was in your situation I would leave the center of the hammock as one piece of material (nylon, IMO) and attach the two narrower pieces on the left and right sides, respectively. The main stress is in the center but don't let that fool you, there are stresses among most of the hammock, especially on the outer edges when you enter/exit the hammock.

Lastly, go for it. Do it. Sew that bad boy on up and do some testing and show us some results as there is only one way for sure to know if it will work for you.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    One option I considered was actually sewing two narrower pieces to a wider piece, say two strips 10" wide, one on each side of a 36" wide piece. I hope that isn't too confusing an explanation. Thoughts?
    That's how my ENO Doublenest is sewn. I was laying in it yesterday looking at the two seems, thinking I was glad that one wasn't running the down the center line. I don't have exact measurements though ... sorry
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things
    I shouldn't have started this line of thought. I have me an ideer, and with me, an ideer is a dangerous thing. To the hammock cave!

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I'm watching Shug's Snipe review video with envy this morning, pondering how I might go about making a gathered end that lays that flat. It seems the biggest factor in its crazy flat lay is how wide the fabric is, a full 56".

I was planning on starting a new hammock today (bridge) but after seeing this video, I'm inclined to give a gathered end a try. Trouble is, I can't find any nylon or polyester at the local fabric store that's 56" wide. My first thought is to sew together two pieces to get the desired length, but the seam down the middle of the hammock worries me. It isn't going to stretch as much as the fabric around it does.

Have any of you tried this? If so, what experience can you offer? Would it be better to use polyester, since it should in theory stretch a bit less than nylon?

In my experience the standard width for fabric is at least 60". Unless you are in a hurry you might consider ordering some on-line, e.g., from diygearsupply, Tree-to-Tree-Trail Gear, or Questoutfitters, just to name some places I've gotten fabric that is as wide as you want.

Finally, yes, micro-weave polyester will stretch less, but the place I knew to get it in the weight I want hasn't had it for a long time
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Quick measurements (of the center) indicate the center piece of material on my Eno DN is 53" wide and each side pannel is an additional 8" wide. I don't know what I am missing, but my total width is 11" less than the width specs listed on the REI website. I was not pulling the material very taught.

Sidenote: The reviews on the same site for the (wider) Eno Double Deluxe are very critical of a seam running down the center of the hammock.
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 and XLC
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    DD UQ, Incubator 0
    Suspension
    wb webbing
    I made a large Gathered end hammock for a hunting buddy of mine. He is 6'10 and over 400lbs. so I needed it to be big and strong enough. I made it out of 3 layers of 1.7 nylon..But to make the hammock wide enough I cut my lenghts at 13ft and made over lapped 3 peices of nylon side by side. If i can round up a photo i will but it mde the hammock 12'6 x 8'6ft across. It worked perfectly.. with about 1 inch overlapping seams.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    In my experience the standard width for fabric is at least 60".
    That is frequently the case for synthetics but it does depend on the mill, fiber content and the retail outlet. Some places that specialize in mill ends and surplus fabric will sell partial panels that are left over from industrial manufacturing runs. Natural fibers are usually 42-44" wide.

I don't want to appear patronizing but remember that fabric on retail bolts is folded in half. If you look at it on the bolt you might think you are looking at the full width if you are not familiar with fabric.

As far as seams... many hammocks attach side panels to the center. My indoor sleeper (DIY) was constructed that way. Use a flat-felled seam/folded french seam and you should be fine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    Quick measurements (of the center) indicate the center piece of material on my Eno DN is 53" wide and each side pannel is an additional 8" wide. I don't know what I am missing, but my total width is 11" less than the width specs listed on the REI website. I was not pulling the material very taught.
    <danger of highjacking thread>
    I noticed the same thing when measuring the width of my ENO double when comparing it to the Kammock Roo. There is a lot of sidewise stretch in that fabric, and I figure the specs (which of course come from ENO) are based on a very stretched out hammock from side-to-side, far more than you would have with the hammock at rest or in use. Misleading advertising, you ask me.
    </danger of highjacking thread>

I have also found in using any of my hammocks with the sewn extra edges, when I lay in them I can feel the sewn edge ridge. I'd also prefer to avoid cutting and aligning those two strips. Any deviations from the straight and narrow are going to show up, at least to my eye.

So my preference strongly would be to just get material that is wide enough. Hang your own hang, make your own hammock, your mileage may vary, etc. Different strokes for different folks.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think that extra foot of length gives that flat lay. And takes out that calf pressure.
    Other than the head/foot drawcords it just seems like any other hammy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts