1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Shock cord only for tarp corners?

I know this sounds similar to another post, but I have a slightly different question.

Would it be fine to use only shock cord for the tarps four corners? Currently I have 16 feet of shock cord and was planning on cutting it in quarters, tying a fixed loop in one end for the tent stake, and a fixed loop to the tarp D-rings. I may also do just two fixed loops then a larks head to the D-ring. I figure if I stretch the shock cord to about 6-7 feet when staking, it would be loose enough so as not to break with a strong wind, but tight enough to keep tension on the tarp.

Do any of you experienced guys see any real fault with this?

Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    That would give you about 3.5 feet of shock cord once you added the loops. While you could do it it would limit your options. I often find I need a longer line as I might need and or want to tie off my tarp to the tree branch for a porch view or just need a longer line due to roots, rocks ect. I like to use a small loop of shock cord with my lines (which are about 8 ft long)
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just use 1/8 inch shock cord loops at each corner of the tarp and tie line to each loop going out to the stakes. Works well and I haven't had to replace the shock cord loops in 3 years. If you use all shock cord you'll likely have too much stretch.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Many have tried shock cord and abandoned the trial, my self included. The decision was prompted by my experience in gusty wind when I launched stakes some 20 feet. I would not want that to happen in the wild, let alone a group site where the flying stakes could damage other equipment. HYOH. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    No fan of SC here either. Adds weight and never could get the tarp tight enough unless I stretched the SC so tight it wasn't SC anymore.
    I found linelok 3's work great. As the tarp relaxes I just give each corner a little adjustment.

SC does work great on side pull outs.
    It's probably saved a few tarps from a big tear in high winds.

hth

Hammock
    1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hadn't thought about what would happen if the stake pulls out. It would be a nasty slingshot. I've only tried this setup once with no wind. I also didn't think about the constant flexing in stronger winds. Thanks for giving me these thoughts. Looks like I'll be looking into getting some actual lines.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 w/footbox and zip bugnet
    Tarp
    MEC Sil Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have about 6" of shock cord on my lines near the stakes and the lines tied onto my tarp with a Valdetain (prussic). This allows me to actually tighten the lines from the hammock It is just enough shock cord to allow a little stretch in my tarp if it gets wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Many have tried shock cord and abandoned the trial, my self included. The decision was prompted by my experience in gusty wind when I launched stakes some 20 feet. I would not want that to happen in the wild, let alone a group site where the flying stakes could damage other equipment. HYOH. YMMV.
    I actually found the opposite... I had shock cord (6" piece) on most of my lines but not on two of the corners (just hadn't got to it yet). I was trying my winter setup in my back yard. The next day it got really windy and the only lines that pulled were the ones without the shock cord and one of the stakes was about 15-20' from the hammock. It seemed like the shock cord just had enough give to help everything stay in place.
    Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. ~Author Unknown
    I seem to have lots of experience for my age

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I larks head my lines onto the stakes, then when one pulls free, and it has when I tripped on it, the stake doesn't go flying, it is still on the tarp line. This does not mean that the stake won't damage anything it comes into contact with, just that you won't lose it when it does.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    I larks head my lines onto the stakes, then when one pulls free, and it has when I tripped on it, the stake doesn't go flying, it is still on the tarp line. This does not mean that the stake won't damage anything it comes into contact with, just that you won't lose it when it does.
    That is an excellent idea and if the ground freezes you have a handle to help pull the stake out.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That is an excellent idea and if the ground freezes you have a handle to help pull the stake out.
    Exactly. With Zing-it tie outs, I don't have to worry about breaking the line when I pull my stakes out.

• + New Posts