Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Does the undercover hold pretty close to the hammock bottom somehow? Would it hold a down quilt up to the bottom of the hammock without compressing the down too much? If not down, say a synthetic quilt?

Just wondering if it could be enhanced with other insulation besides pads. Thanks for your feedback.
    Yes, no doubt , though there is a tendency to compress ( especially the more compressible higher fill power) down. Still, I have many times used my thick down vest in the UC ( as well as many other items) under my upper back usually along with a fleece jacket, zipped closed for double loft, lower down(or vice versa). The down may get compressed a bit but it still adds a big boost. Synthetic is even better due to compressing less, and fleece seems best ( nearly no compression). If you have heavier items down there- like my heavy fleece jacket- or maybe certain pads like kwpapke uses, they might cause the UC to gap a bit, Meaning less compression for your down. If you do cause a bit of gap, just make sure whatever you put down there is capable of lofting up enough to fill the gap.

This- along with wind/rain protection- is one of the big pluses of this system. The ability to add to the UC whatever insulation is needed for whatever temp is needed. Look up "Garlington Insulator". And throw something down under the HH OCF pad and space blanket. You won't believe how well it works. And if you don't sleep in every piece of insulation you have, then you have some thing extra to throw down there.

Here is a real life example of adding stuff below from a couple of years ago:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13454

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If I missed it, I'm sorry for repeating, but...does the radiant double bubble pad by Hennessy fit into the HHSS somewhere. I just got my pad today. Thinking about the SS next.
    No, not by design. Seems like that pad 1st showed up for the HHDJ's double layer, meant to be tied into the pad pocket. Of course, you could always add it to the HHSS. In fact, I always thought it could replace the space blanket plus add some insulation, though someone here tried both once and said the regular SB worked better, though I don't know why it would.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-26-2012 at 22:43.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Seems like that pad 1st showed up for the HHDJ's double layer, meant to be tied into the pad pocket. Of course, you could always add it to the HHSS. In fact, I always thought it could replace the space blanket plus add some insulation, though someone here tried both once and said the regular SB worked better, though I don't know why it would.
    I've wondered about doing this. I imagine the space blanket is less rigid than the bubble pad and it conforms better to the hammock, which results in better conservation of warm air pockets. The mylar sheets work well, but if they were a little more rigid, they would be less fussy to setup and make it easier to get in and out through the bottom entry.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
    I've wondered about doing this. I imagine the space blanket is less rigid than the bubble pad and it conforms better to the hammock, which results in better conservation of warm air pockets. The mylar sheets work well, but if they were a little more rigid, they would be less fussy to setup and make it easier to get in and out through the bottom entry.
    Want to make it behave better with virtually no money or effort? Get a needle thread, position the SB the way you want it, and if wide enough even part or all the way around the HH OCF pad/pads. Put a stitch in each corner, thru the SB and OCF pad. Or, just thru both sides of the sb after it has been wrapped around the OCF suspension cords( hard to put into words, but dirt simple).

Just make sure to leave enough slack in the space blanket(SB) so that it can conform to the curved/cupped shape of the HH OCF pad. And of course, if you do this you won't want to be separating the SB from the pad every time you break camp, that would be a pain. So you wull either want to store the entire hammock and SS ( sometimes I even leave my TQ in the hammock) inside one big stuff sack or inside your pack. Or, at least store the pad with SB together in one sack.

But when I am on the trail, I find the more stuff I can pack together in one sack and put up all together in one fell swoop, the better!

EDIT: Oh, and about that HH radiant/Bubble pad: it has some insulation value as well as a radiant/vapor block, the SB has only radiant/vapor block. If put inside the pad pocket of a HH DJ(or inside the hammock if you can stay on it), with the HHSS under all of that, it seems to me like it would provide a stout boost, as it(bubble pad) is rated to 40 all by itself. I should have tried it when I was testing a borrowed DJ, to see if it could replace the SB. Of course, no reason it could not be used in addition to the SB.

The obvious downside for the hiker? It weighs 14 oz in long! Compared to ~ 2-3 oz for a SB. That is a big difference, and it weighs almost as much as a full length Thermarest Ridgerest CCF pad and maybe more than a 1/2" thick WM blue pad. Either of which would also be padding for ground use and a sit pad. I don't know if the bubble pad would serve thos other functions as well. But, it might be more comfy in a hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-27-2012 at 15:19.

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and about that HH radiant/Bubble pad: it has some insulation value as well as a radiant/vapor block, the SB has only radiant/vapor block. If put inside the pad pocket of a HH DJ(or inside the hammock if you can stay on it), with the HHSS under all of that, it seems to me like it would provide a stout boost, as it(bubble pad) is rated to 40 all by itself. I should have tried it when I was testing a borrowed DJ, to see if it could replace the SB. Of course, no reason it could not be used in addition to the SB.
    ...so can the HH Radiant Double Bubble Pad be used in lieu of a SB in the typical HHSS system (i.e., on top of the open foam cell underpad)? ...or could it be used in lieu of the HHSS OFC underpad with good results?

Finally, it you install the HH Radiant Double Bubble Pad in the HHSS, can it be bundled with hammock, UC and stuffed into a stuff sack - or is it so rigid that it must be rolled separately?

Thanks for sharing.

Images
    I have a Hennessy Explorer hammock and I ended up with an underquilt + a DIY windsock. Whatever you do I'd recommend the overcover. For me at least, I needed something to cut the wind chill blowing over the hammock bug net. A wind sock (or your overcover) makes a huge difference in how you feel in the hammock.

My 2 cents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123