HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hennessy Insulation

I had been planning to order the SuperShelter Insulation System by Hennessy Hammock and then realized it was only an UnderCover and UnderPad. The UnderPad is $35.95 and the UnderCover is $105 individually, so that's a $140.95 value for $139.95. Yep, a whole buck is saved if you order the SuperShelter, except you probably don't get the slick little stuff sack if you order them separate.

But the more I look at [their site](http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/) the more I realize the UnderPad will give way more insulation than the UnderCover, which looks like it will only help protect it a bit from moisture and wind but more than anything it looks cosmetic. I was thinking instead I'd order just the UnderPad and the Radiant Pad ($24.95) which hopefully wont self destruct like my dollar store windshield reflector did. The total price for the two will be $60.90, about half the cost of the SuperShelter. I really feel that this will give me way more insulation for a much better value. What do you guysa think?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    I think the SS comes with the over cover also along with the bottom and the mat unless something has changed. I have not looked at it in a while. My friend has the Radiant pad and loves it. My boy uses the SS and loves it.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    That page I linked specifically says:

System includes UnderCover and UnderPad. OverCover is a separate accessory. Note: Radiant Bubble Pad is not part of this system.
    So yeah, unfortunately it looks as though that has changed.

The radiant pad does look impressive. The little hooks on it will match up with loops in the HH so that will hold it in place. The big annoyance with the dollar store one was it kept moving about, and all that shuffling resulted in it being torn. I'm sure the radiant pad is also a better build quality too

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    You need something to hold it all up under the hammock, gently enough that it doesn't compress, but close enough that there aren't gaps. You also need some wind protection for the open cell foam used in the Hennessy pad, especially if you don't have a vapour barrier (but the bubble pad is a vapour barrier). I think the undercover is important for those reasons, and I'm sure there are others.

Maybe you could use the Hennessy pads with a 2QZQ under quilt protector though. That would save some $. Has anyone done that?

I should mention that I don't have a SS, but I do have the bubble pad, and there's no way to keep it under the hammock. I would definitely need an undercover of some sort if I wanted it underneath.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    Yes the bubble pad is much better then the other. The only thing I see is it dose not pack down as small. Unless you have the space then it is much better. But Bindibadgi is right you will need some way to hold it up.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    Maybe you could use the Hennessy pads with a 2QZQ under quilt protector though. That would save some $. Has anyone done that?
    The 2QZQ under quilt protector tends to hang very loosely under the hammock, so it likely wouldn't work for this application. A dollar store gathered end hammock does though! Cheaper too.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Remember that you need to add your own space blanket on top of the pad. The under cover creates the airspace around the pad and will keep the space blanket from sticking out.

I have the HHSS. Just did two nights hanging the in the mid 20's with snow. The HHSS worked. Took a little monkeying around to get the space blanket and everything in place. Having the side zips helped on night number two to adjust everything a bit. My only issue was cold feet.

In the 20's, my hips/butt were initially chilly but this changed over time. Was comfortable but it wasn't "super warm". Overall I'm happy with the HHSS but having never used an underquilt I wonder if there's a significant difference (in warmth).

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I have had good luck with the SS, it is a great system, I have been to 16 degrees with the addition of the space blanket. let us know ho the other options work, the under cover is is real easy to put on with the new design.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by D Ring View Post
    Yes the bubble pad is much better then the other. The only thing I see is it dose not pack down as small. Unless you have the space then it is much better. But Bindibadgi is right you will need some way to hold it up.
    I think the OCF pad, used with a separate radiant/VB barrier as intended, is rated warmer than than the bubble pad. Which(bubble pad) used to be rated for maybe 20, but HH had to change that to 40. A lot of folks go lower than that with the SS, and it is in fact rated warmer by HH, if memory serves.

Plus, it is a system designed to work together. I don't think I would be worrying about the pad contributing way more to warmth than the UC, both work together and really need each other( not to mention the space blanket) for any hope of getting the max out of this system.

Sure, you can get some warmth just hanging the pad- by its suspension- under the hammock. But the least breeze that gets past your tarp will suck any warmth right out of that wide open foam. Not to mention any moisture. That UC- when used with the space blanket on top of the pad to prevent or minimize condensation inside the UC- adds significant wind and moisture block. For me, it is the biggest selling point of the system.

Actually, I just confirmed that the over cover- though not waterproof- adds some water (as well as the advertised wind) protection also. I had my HHSS with OC hanging on the back porch with no tarp. Covered- just barely- by a roof. A windy rain storm blew in while I was gone. It blew water on the porch several feet past and under the hammock. The OC and UC were covered with water droplets, and there was a little pool of water sitting in a depression in the OC. I had a pillow sitting right under the OC vent hole. Some rain got in that hole. Pillow was damp, the rest of the hammock and the OCF pad were bone dry.

Next best thing about the UC? If it is a little too cold for the system, just take any insulation you don't need to sleep in and out it under the pad for a good sized boost.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    I had been planning to order the SuperShelter Insulation System by Hennessy Hammock and then realized it was only an UnderCover and UnderPad. The UnderPad is $35.95 and the UnderCover is $105 individually, so that's a $140.95 value for $139.95. Yep, a whole buck is saved if you order the SuperShelter, except you probably don't get the slick little stuff sack if you order them separate.

But the more I look at [their site](http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/) the more I realize the UnderPad will give way more insulation than the UnderCover, which looks like it will only help protect it a bit from moisture and wind but more than anything it looks cosmetic. I was thinking instead I'd order just the UnderPad and the Radiant Pad ($24.95) which hopefully wont self destruct like my dollar store windshield reflector did. The total price for the two will be $60.90, about half the cost of the SuperShelter. I really feel that this will give me way more insulation for a much better value. What do you guysa think?
    The supershelter is designed to work as a system. The silnylon undercover is essential to wind / water block. The foam pad is open cell and very thin (1/10"?). It is only held in position by two shock cord bridles, side tieouts, and the undercover. The real secret weapon here is the mylar sheet:

The layers from you to the outside are:

<--------bottom of hammock--------->
    <--------mylar space blanket--------->
    <---------open cell SS pad----------->
    <------------undercover------------->

The HH overcover is uncoated to allow moisture to come through from inside and evaporate between the over cover and fly.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast