BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Snorkle?

Ok, maybe a dumb question. Maybe one that will make folks wonder if I have a screw loose. This has been bugging me lately, and I need some feedback from some of you perhaps, more stable folks.
    I have recently posted some questions about cold weather condensation issues. I got a lot of great feedback and great suggestions. As I lay in bed the other night (can't put a hammock up in my apt.), contemplating some ideas for winter hanging and putting on my sleep apnea mask, a thought popped into my head. You see, I wear a full face mask with my CPAP machine. It looks a bit like the oxygen masks they use on folks in the hospital, with a large tube running from the machine, where air is pumped, to keep me from having breathing issues while I sleep. It occurred to me that, since the majority of condensation issues are created from moist air of the breath, could I not use a similar mask/hose setup, and simply vent the hose outside of my enclosed hammock? This of course assumes two things. First, you are in an enclosed setup (sock, or NX-250 style for example) and second, you're not using the mask from a CPAP device, as the mechanics of the mask prevent it. Thoughts?
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I would think that would create a labored breathing situation, like breathing through a straw. Of course if you had a hose big enough you would be good to go.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah, I agree. The hose on my current mask is about 1.5 in. diameter. That's kins of the range I was thinking. I believe this would work as long as there are no practical joker buddies putting their thumbs over the end of the pipe!
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    I do not know much on this but I think it chould work, but since you have to make a small venting hole for the hose, wouldn't loosening the UQ/POD shock cording for the suspension do the same thing condensation wise? Also too much insulation chould be your problem to. Have you seen the ventilation hole used in the Overcover on the HHSS? that chould be another idea you chould use on your pea pod too.

Just some thoughts.
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

Hammock
    Clark NX 150
    Tarp
    XL
    Insulation
    20 deg Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The other issue if you are only using a snorkel configuration not connected to CPAP you'd be breathing a higher percentage of CO2 (rebreathing your own breath).

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    It took me a little while to figure out what condensation issues you are having. Usually, my breath condenses on the inside of the tarp and rolls down the sides or freezes. When I'm in my 2QZQ breathable sock, I need to leave a gap open above my head so moisture can escape. I realized that you have the zip on weather shield from your hammock. Is there a way for you to vent it?

I don't think sleeping with a snorkel or CPAP mask/ hose is going to work out very well

S
    Last edited by Sidewinder; 01-20-2012 at 21:46.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Met77 View Post
    The other issue if you are only using a snorkel configuration not connected to CPAP you'd be breathing a higher percentage of CO2 (rebreathing your own breath).
    And if the hose is too long, you would be rebreathing 100%....but not for long

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition & WBBB
    Suspension
    whoopies
    You could use a respirator mask with the hose only on the exhaust valve and just remove the canisters. This would allow air to come in through the canister valves when you inhale and escape through the exhaust valve and hose out the hammock. Seems a bit much just to prevent condensation, but it could work.
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Constitution Woodcraft

in times of crisis some run toward the fight.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetgang View Post
    You could use a respirator mask with the hose only on the exhaust valve and just remove the canisters. This would allow air to come in through the canister valves when you inhale and escape through the exhaust valve and hose out the hammock. Seems a bit much just to prevent condensation, but it could work.
    That was my thought process. I was only spit balling the idea, but seemed to be easier than constantly adjusting the rig.
    2new2hang

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    2new:
    As a CJH owner who has camped in freezing weather I found that if I left the weather shield unzipped about 2 inches, just above my head that condensation was not a big issue. When I use my WBBB w/BBO installed I have condensation issues until I vented a hole in the BBO above where I sleep, this helped to alleviate most of the condensation issue.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast