Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol

Lightbulb Sounds so Excellent

i don't know anything about hammocks, at all, but i am a minimalist, prefering a tarp over my tent. i look back, wishing i had learned about hammock camping years ago!!!

i have a problem if it involves camping, then i gotta do it - hiking, bicycling, motorcycling (a new fav of mine), car-camping.

Anyway i have already started to learn from you guys by scanning this forum. So, i HAD TO JOIN if for no other reason than to say THANK YOU for your posting, pictures, notes, and civil, wise, and honest discussions!!!!

Clearly you you guys are MY KIND'A PEOPLE

Now.... what hammock to get (or build) and how to outfit it .... that is the question

It in my nature to be a soloist, at times. It's no biggie; i like making new friends left and right. But get so much outta my isolation in the trees i'm thinking i was snatched from bigfoot's cave as an infant. or maybe was that kicked-out lol

Peace and Joy to all,
    flailer
    Last edited by flailer; 01-15-2012 at 12:21.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    You've come to the right place! Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Welcome! A good deal for you would be to watch for the get togethers and stop by for a visit, or a stay. You'll get to see few hammocks up close and personal.

In the mean time watch some of the videos listed here. Shug, Grizzly Adams, Dutch, and many others have posted some great vid's to learn from and enjoy. Most entertaining too!

Looking forward to hearing of you adventures with a hammock. Remember, post pics or it didn't happen!!!

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    yes definately youtube "shugemery" and let the learning begin. As for which hammock to get, well that is a different story. I can tell that I started with the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer (it makes using a camping pad easier) and I love that hammock. I have since aquired other smaller lighter or more unique hammocks but the Blackbird is still my go to hammock for almost every outing. Watch videos and do some research but I bet you'll find that you can adapt most of the gear you already own to hammock camping. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the fun!
    Terry

Hammock
    down to 4 :(
    Tarp
    Size matters, lol

Thanks, and....

Thanks for the welcomes and tips on how to proceed

i am a more than little surprised by some of the stuff i have seen so far, including:

Surprises:
    1. That many people own so many diff types (models) of hammocks. WHY?
    ... And here i was planning on getting a single unit that works well for all my applications. i.e.: 2+ / 3 season hammock (35f @ night & rains) ; as well as hot summer day-use lounging around camp, by river, lake (breathable under-fabric & fly for shade)

2. i assumed that my self-inflating pad prolly wouldnt work, and prolly is a total overkill anyway. And that my down-filled sleeping-bag would be a poor match as well.
    ... i guess i am wrong on both counts??

3. i guess i can see... only just now though... why gram-counting has become such a force within this group of aficionados. These puppies can be ultra-light, if kitted for 1-season use.
    ... i have always been a minimalist, but only rarely a gram-counter.

And i guess here comes the last question: At this time - in my tender and virgin-like point in my hammock career - i am leaning towards a stock HH Survivor, with the only addition being a double-bubble pad. In the hopes that this pad would be enough if i get stuck on the ground for a night or two. ??? Does this configuration work for 2+ season use ???

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Welcome to the Forum, you will filled with information and ideas..... I think my head is going to explode.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

You'll never go back

Once you've started hangin', you'll never go back to the ground. Welcome to the madness and good luck.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flailer View Post
    i am a more than little surprised by some of the stuff i have seen so far, including:

Surprises:
    1. That many people own so many diff types (models) of hammocks. WHY?
    ... And here i was planning on getting a single unit that works well for all my applications. i.e.: 2+ / 3 season hammock (35f @ night & rains) ; as well as hot summer day-use lounging around camp, by river, lake (breathable under-fabric & fly for shade)

2. i assumed that my self-inflating pad prolly wouldnt work, and prolly is a total overkill anyway. And that my down-filled sleeping-bag would be a poor match as well.
    ... i guess i am wrong on both counts??

3. i guess i can see... only just now though... why gram-counting has become such a force within this group of aficionados. These puppies can be ultra-light, if kitted for 1-season use.
    ... i have always been a minimalist, but only rarely a gram-counter.

And i guess here comes the last question: At this time - in my tender and virgin-like point in my hammock career - i am leaning towards a stock HH Survivor, with the only addition being a double-bubble pad. In the hopes that this pad would be enough if i get stuck on the ground for a night or two. ??? Does this configuration work for 2+ season use ???
    1. I have more than one kitchen knife too. While a Chef's knife may be able to peel a piece of fruit, there are better tools for the job. In many ways, the same is true of your set-up. A single hammock can work pretty well across the board, but you'll probably want slightly tweeked set-ups depending on what, where, and how you're going.

2. Depends. Many folks don't find pads in their hammocks as comfortable as an underquilt. However, most of us start exactly that way. Think of hammocking as gear evolution on overdrive. There are simply so many options these days, that you find yourself constantly trying this or that. But yeah, a down mat and a down sleeping bag is a fine combination that will probably keep you nice and toasty in your hammock.

3. They can be ultralight, but in practice, rarely are ultralight. There are a few hardcores running around this site, but I would hazard a guess that most of us are attracted to hammocks due to their superior (yes I said it ) comfort over the ground. So most of us carry a bit more weight than we need, but justify it with the increased comfort when the sun comes up.

You'll have to ask someone else about the bubble-pad; I haven't given it a try.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast