Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Second Hang - Went much better

I had another chance over Memorial Day weekend to test out my setup. This time the conditions were a bit more extreme than my first hang a few weeks ago. Since I was a bit uncomfortable my first time out, I knew this trip would require some gear changes. This hike was 3 days 2 nights to Slide Mountain, the tallest peak in the Catskills. Nightly temps dipped into the 30’s with a fairly stiff wind.

Here’s the gear list from my first hang, with an indicator if I (did not take) it this time.

Equipment:
    Hennessy Expedition A-Sym
    HeatSheet Space Blanket - (did not take)
    RidgeRest CCF pad 20x48
    Eureka 30 degree Synthetic Sleeping Bag

Clothing:
    Polypro long underwear - (did not take)
    Polyester short sleeve hiking shirt
    Nylon hiking pants
    Fleece vest - (did not take)
    Wool socks
    Fleece hat & gloves

Here’s the list of new items that I brought this time.

Equipment:
    A second RidgeRest CCF pad 20x48

Clothing:
    Polyester/Lycra Arm and Leg warmers
    Fleece long sleeve jacket

This setup worked very well for me. I arranged the 2 CCF pads in a “T” configuration.

And instead of only having thin polypro on my arms, this time I had thicker arm warmers plus the long sleeve fleece jacket (and the extra pad sideways across the shoulders). The first night I climbed into the bag and zipped it all the way up. There was a little challenge arranging the 2 pads, but once in place, they didn’t move. I stayed warm the entire night. When packing up the next morning I was surprised to find the bottom of the sleeping bag damp from condensation. This dampness apparently didn’t affect my ability to stay warm through the night.

For the second night I decided to try using my sleeping bag as a quilt. This worked extremely well. It was much easier arranging the 2 pads without being in the sleeping bag and when everything was in place, pulling the bag over me was simple. Having the fleece jacket on gave me a little buffer between my back and the CCF pad. I didn’t notice any condensation in the morning.

I’ll use this setup going forward. With warmer weather approaching, it will be interesting to see what I stop using to keep from overheating. I can see where this learning process requires at least a year, to get through every season and weather condition, to see what works best. This will be a fun adventure.

Trip Album:

Slideshow
    Tim

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    More beautiful scenery. Thanks for posting the pics. I attended John Burroughs School in St. Louis, Mo. Interesting to see his old stomping grounds. Glad your hammocking is working out to your satisfaction too.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

If you had a wider ccf pad you might not need the 2 pads in the "T" config. I have a 25"x77" Ridgerest Deluxe that encloses me pretty well. Not enough to negate an underneath wind blocker on a very cold/windy night, but it does the job. I'm glad you're finally getting to a happy place with your gear. It only gets better. :-)
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Glad things are getting better with your hammock. The pix are great. I have hiked in the Catskills the last few years but not Slide Mountain. Did do a few miles of the Devil's Path - it did a number on my legs. I felt better when I later saw it listed as the toughest trail in America! Not sure if it is but I felt like it was. Unfortunately, I was not hammocking when I was in the Catskills and the time I was on the Devil's Path there was not a flat spot to be found. Wound up sleeping with my feet against a rock to keep from sliding downhill. I wish I knew then what I know now....

Thanks for the report. Maybe we can meet for a hang in the Catskills or lower Adirondacks. West of Albany & north of Amsterdam is a nice area.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There ya' go!...... The second try is often much better, and a good excuse to hit the trail.
    Glad for you!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Thanks

Hey folks,
    Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and encouraging words.

JayS,
    Sounds good. Let me know when you’re in the area.
    Tim

Images
    Timber, good deal on your success. It almost always comes together after a night or two. And great pics. Our daughter lives in NH, and we visit once or twice a year. I've got to do a hang up there someday.

Hope you don't mind a tip: In pic #4, it is apparent that your carabiner is outside your tarp. If you can figure out a way to get that under your tarp, it will make a near can't miss water blocker to keep the water from running down the line into your hammock.

Is your hammock attached to your suspension line which is in turn attached to the tree? If so, how did that work? Were you able to keep it a tight pitch once you were in and was it OK in the wind?

Looks like that was a fun trip!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Stock Setup...almost

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hope you don't mind a tip: In pic #4, it is apparent that your carabiner is outside your tarp. If you can figure out a way to get that under your tarp, it will make a near can't miss water blocker to keep the water from running down the line into your hammock.
    BillyBob, thanks for the suggestion. I think you're talking about this picture here.

I'm using the stock HH webbing straps, so to get the carabiner under the tarp, I'd have to find two trees spaced just right. I have a shoelace tied under the tarp to act as my water blocker.
    Is your hammock attached to your suspension line which is in turn attached to the tree? If so, how did that work?
    Regarding my setup, I haven't changed much at all (except for adding 2 carabiners). From the tree I'm using the HH webbing / carabiner / HH suspension line. What might look a bit different in the above pic is where I've threaded one end of the webbing through the loop in the other end giving me a single end going down to the carabiner. I prefer putting the carabiner through both webbing loops, but this tree was too big to wrap twice, and a single pass was not tight enough of a hug. Since the tree was leaning slightly back, this setup gave me a tight hug with no slip.
    Were you able to keep it a tight pitch once you were in and was it OK in the wind?
    I'm using the HH lashing/knot on the carabiner. I've only hung for 3 nights, but so far it's working fine. The pitch I set at night is the same pitch I have in the morning. I'm also using the shockcords to tie out the sides, so I haven't had any problems with wind (just gentle rocking that I like ).
    Tim

• + New Posts