DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Sorry to hear about that, JaxHiker. Take care of your family first. Best wishes.

~~~~~~~~~

My story begins, as with Black Wolf, approximately a week before the hang. My initial plan was to ride down on the bike Saturday night, after work. Unfortunately, research indicated that there were no twenty-four-hour gas stations along the way east of Ocala to get water at. I'm willing to ride ninety miles, but I am not willing to do fifty of it with no chance to get water. It turns out my research was wrong--there are at least two that are open along that stretch of road...meh, maybe next year...

Anyway, with my wrong impression that I was not going to be able to make it down on the bike, I started working on alternate transportation. I was going to ask the wife if she'd be willing to loan me the car for the weekend, but as it turns out, serendipity struck. My co-worker Kat has been wanting to hang for quite a while now, and her boyfriend Jackson is a fairly experienced backcountry camper--if not an experienced hammocker. So, the secondary plan was to drive down with them and camp near the US 19 trailhead after work on Saturday and then hike in on Sunday.

When I mentioned this, ItsAndy spoke right up and offered to drive all the way up to Gainesville late on a Saturday night to get me and then drive all the way back down to Ocala. That deserves a special mention for him being a stand-up guy. I told him thanks but no thanks; I've got a ride.

Since this was to be the plan, the pack I had was not going to work--not with all of the insulation I was going to have to carry for mid-thirties. So, having gotten my "new" 70s-vintage Husky on Tuesday, I sat down behind it and became a one-man sewing machine. I spent maybe twenty-five or thirty hours behind that thing finishing my pack for the hang over four days. It was an experience, but not necessarily one that I'd care to repeat. Still, the pack was done on time and ready to go.

Well, Murphy raised his head on Saturday night. Kat came down with a migraine and wasn't feeling well at all. Now I was wondering if Jackson would be going at all--after all, from my point of view, he was doing it to spend the weekend with Kat. I guess I shouldn't have worried, despite only having met the guy twice. He was going, true to his word, like the great guy he was and is.

After making sure that Kat was a comfortable as possible, we piled into the car and headed south into the coldest night I've spent in a hammock. I guess I shouldn't pay attention to the weather forecast; I was expecting temperatures in the mid-30s. What we got was low-20s.

Due to my expectations, I didn't bring my big, loose acrylic socks or my extra sweatshirt. I was cold before I got into bed, and my feet never really warmed the whole way up. Not cold enough for frostbite, but cold enough to be uncomfortable. An extra sweatshirt and my sleeping socks would have gone a long way towards alleviating that.

Jackson had his 20 F mummy bag and some very good cold weather clothing. He set the bag up as a makeshift PeaPod and stuck the night out like a trooper, not complaining once.

Come the morning (and the absence of howling hunting hounds), we ate a hot breakfast, packed up, and began the three mile hike down to Buck Lake. Due to our inexperience with the side trail that led to Buck Lake and the blue blazes having faded over the last couple of years, we wound up bushwhacking around the edge of the lake. It was fun; I managed to come out of it with only one decent scratch from a hidden stump, despite wearing shorts to hike in.

Upon reaching the campsites proper, we walked right into Duffy, JohnnyWalker, and KC's camp. Go figure; the few folks I'd met in person from here are the ones that I saw first! Duffy gave us directions back to the actual trail, and we followed it right into the campfire area past everyones' rigs.

Once at the fire area, RictorFla insisted that we finish off his Dutch oven egg dish--it was wonderful! I've never had as much food pushed on me at a single event as this one, and I've been to some cooking competitions over the years! After spending an hour or so jawing with KC and a few others, Jackson and I went to find a decent hang spot. It wasn't hard, what with so many folks packing up to head out on Sunday.

Once we were hung, I re-built the load on my pack for a day hike, and we headed out on the Florida Trail down to Alexander Springs. Leaving at about 1:00 in the afternoon, we didn't get back until about an half-hour after dark. Not too bad for our first day back on the trail, and we were really pushing fast at the end there.

Sunday night around the fire was fun and chill--in both senses of the word. Chatting with OldDog, ItsAndy, MAD777, LDCakes, FLB, and others around the fire will be one of those memories that sticks with me. Great camraderie, and everyone was exceptionally nice.

That night got cold as well, but not freezingly cold. I figure it was in the low thirties or high twenties, since my feet didn't freeze all night. Once I got into the hammock, I warmed quickly.

The morning light over the lake woke me around eight-ish, and I got out of bed to go cook near the fire. After a little while spent around the fire jawing and cooking up breakfast, folks started drifting away to pack everything up and go.

Thanks, OldDog, for giving me a look at your set-up. It gave me a few things to think about as I go on with my design.

By the time Jackson and I were ready to head out, it was down to FLB, his wife (who I don't think I ever caught the name of; you have my apology for that), and Gumbo near the campfire area. After helping to get everything into a pile for quick pick-up, Jackson and I said our goodbyes and headed out down the trail to US 19 again. Packing up, we headed out and home to Gainesville.

After reaching home, greeting the wife, and going out to dinner, I crashed hard. I haven't had that much fun in a good long while, and my bed was calling my name. Waking this morning after fourteen hours' sleep, I feel the best that I have in waking memory.

Thank you all for a wonderful hang, and special thanks to the organizers for getting everything together!

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    camo diamond fly
    Insulation
    hammock gear 3-sea
    Suspension
    wbbb stock set up
    Our experience this past weekend, far exceeded all expectations. There are way to many good folks to thank, buy I'd like to single out Olddog for the heart warming display of kindness you displayed by giving my son Matthew, and all our kids those fine gifts. Also special thanks to Bearfinder for taking Matthew under your wing and being a great friend to him. The temps were the lowest we ever camped in, and we stayed warm.
    At the raffle we won the complete stove and cook kit from Ldcakes, the l.l.Bean survival kit, Just Jeff pack cover, paracord survival bracelet, and fun watching everyone else win stuff.
    We are praying for you Jaxhiker.
    See y'all next year.
    SPECIALK

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Anyone heard from Carry? PM me please if you have.
    Also there was another fellow who had to leave because of a family member getting into an automobile accident. I apologizes for not remembering your name but if you're on here please give us an update.
    Hope all is well,
    Cakes
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Wow Jax, I am really sorry to hear that. Don't hesitate to call out if I can help in some way. Stay strong.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

My 20th hang....

Saying thanks is not enough. This hang reinforces that there are good people left-many many of them. Felt I got to know Islander and Black Wolf really well-some attitudes in both of them I'd like to clone and pass around the world. The food and the efforts there were amazing...I've come off a weight loss and didn't want to blow it but it's very very hard with this kind of temptation!
    The last night was cold--even by hillbilly standards--Duffy gave me an insurance plan (a nice wool blanket), that is twice he has come to my rescue and speaks loudly of his character. So good to see Johnny Walker again too to reminisce about the Cape Canaveral Hang.
    I was hoping for a local flora/fauna expert for our hike and Vangard was THE man-thanks again. MAD777-great connecting you in reality to the avatar and glad DetailMan's (wow what a family of lots of little Details!) AARN shows great promise. 'lil Ricky-a pleasure, loved the Mouse stories.
    Gumbo, Timberrr-I've already plotted Santa Fe--you two are just that great to be around. Chattanooga Chuck-I'm not far away my friend if you need to twist the throttle north and east Andy I'm saving my shekels for Veterans Day-thank you for being there in the heat of the paddle.
    RichTorFla- yes you do deserve a huge round of applause.
    I could go on and on-just a stellar weekend.
    JAX feeling for you and prayers sent...a little vid to placate some in the mean time for the pics:

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post

Come the morning (and the absence of howling hunting hounds),
    I actually had a baby deer run into my camp ( running from those dogs) then moments later have the whole pack of hounds run through. very cool sight.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    I actually had a baby deer run into my camp ( running from those dogs) then moments later have the whole pack of hounds run through. very cool sight.
    Wow. Hadn't realized that the hunters got that close to Buck Lake. Id'v'e figured they'd stay on the other side of the FL Trail, since that seems to be where their camp is.

Glad everything stayed okay for you, though!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Saying thanks is not enough. This hang reinforces that there are good people left-many many of them. Felt I got to know Islander and Black Wolf really well-some attitudes in both of them I'd like to clone and pass around the world. The food and the efforts there were amazing...I've come off a weight loss and didn't want to blow it but it's very very hard with this kind of temptation!
    The last night was cold--even by hillbilly standards--Duffy gave me an insurance plan (a nice wool blanket), that is twice he has come to my rescue and speaks loudly of his character. So good to see Johnny Walker again too to reminisce about the Cape Canaveral Hang.
    I was hoping for a local flora/fauna expert for our hike and Vangard was THE man-thanks again. MAD777-great connecting you in reality to the avatar and glad DetailMan's (wow what a family of lots of little Details!) AARN shows great promise. 'lil Ricky-a pleasure, loved the Mouse stories.
    Gumbo, Timberrr-I've already plotted Santa Fe--you two are just that great to be around. Chattanooga Chuck-I'm not far away my friend if you need to twist the throttle north and east Andy I'm saving my shekels for Veterans Day-thank you for being there in the heat of the paddle.
    RichTorFla- yes you do deserve a huge round of applause.
    I could go on and on-just a stellar weekend.
    JAX feeling for you and prayers sent...a little vid to placate some in the mean time for the pics:
    Great video Medicine Man! It was great seeing you again and so nice to meet Poof. Timberrr and I will hope to see you on a paddle soon.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Prayers for you and your family, Jaxhiker.

After missing FH1 and reading and rereading the trip report I thought that I had an idea of what FH2 would be like. Nothing like the reality of being there. Those who were there last year and took the lead, Thank you. I'm sure that setting this up wasn't as easy as all of you made it seem. The almost seeming endless stream of some of the best 'trail' food was amazing. The pineapple upsidedown cake was awesome as I'm not a big fan of pineapple, I was actually scraping the pot liner! It seems that every time I neared the fire pit another DO was being loaded and fired up. OMG, is it sweet or savory, can I eat another bite?
    The weather was a little colder but you do get to go home and brag to your nonhanging friends and family about your new low temp record. Why not, most think your crazy anyway. Only dealt with cold toes Saturday night and plan to have that rectified by next year.
    To my old and new HF family, thank you for making this a special weekend. Would love to list each one of you but I believe you number around 75. Hope to see all of you next year or on one of the hike and hangs which are already in planning.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Me and KC and JohnnyWalker had a wonderful time! KC was able to stay warm and cozy on her first night in a hammock despite the super-cold (FLA standards) weather. Renewed old friendships and met a few new old friends. Even got to hike, although I was almost too full to walk! Thanks to everyone who helped, and special thanks to Chuck for being Chuck.

- Duffy

(reposted from the planning thread)

PS: Jaxhiker: kneemail enroute for you and yours

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast