Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi

Talking Nx250 rogue winter testing results

So as my previous post said, I am going on a winter camping trip and am worried about comfort. So I decided to stop theory crafting, and start testing.

I am currently in my nx250 at a local county park (probably camping illegally) toasty warm. (typing this on my iPad, inside the 250!!)

I'm dressed in long underwear, a fleece vest, and fleece cap

Using a thermarest neoair (inflatable, packs up to water bottle size), a heavy duty reusable space blanket(the kind with grommets, bright red on the reverse) and a crappy Eddie Bauer synthetic 30 degree bag, that has a down "cover" add-on that they claim makes it a 0 degree bag

Temp is 34 with a light to medium breeze, I do not have the fly up, so the wind is coming through the weather shield some, so I could probably be even warmer if I set that up.

I am toasty warm

I have no doubts this will keep me warm on the trip, so I am going to forgo buying a liner or UQ at this time.

The pad is comfy in the hammock. It makes it feel a lot more firm, but at first I felt unbalanced. I just had to center myself on the pad better though.

Update

After I finished typing I went more into a sleep position, rather than ipad position.. My arms are off the side of the pad, and it is noticeably cooler there, but not enough to cause problems I think.
    Last edited by gaijin42; 01-16-2012 at 11:11.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just for some info:
    When you bought the 250, did you consider the NX150?
    Just curious if there is that much difference between the two.
    I am 5ft 9 and 205 lbs and I am considering an upgrade from my NA model.
    Just trying to figure out if the NX250 is worth the extra cost for a few more inches of room.
    Enjoy your hang!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    I am 6'1 and 250 so I was looking at the bigger one right off mainly. There is tons of room in the 250 though for me, so possibly I could have gotten away with a smaller one, and for someone your size, I think it is even more likely. Clark does have a size chart on their site you may want to take a look at.

Update to test :
    Very confident in hammock setup.

Not confident in fire making skills. Tried to test my new ember lit, using found tinder, but metal matches. Got flame, but couldn't get the sticks lit

Sherrifs dept: very confident. They ran me out, about 2 hours into the hang, i was in a conspicuous spot in the park. Even still, that is good patrolling on their part. They were nice about it though, and wished me fun on my upcoming real trip.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    Sherrifs dept: very confident. They ran me out, about 2 hours into the hang, i was in a conspicuous spot in the park. Even still, that is good patrolling on their part. They were nice about it though, and wished me fun on my upcoming real trip.
    Lol!
    At least there are enough tie off points in an old style American cell...
    yakass.net

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Heaps of tie off points outside an old style Austrailian prison cell too..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    yakass.net

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    I am 6'1 and 250 so I was looking at the bigger one right off mainly. There is tons of room in the 250 though for me, so possibly I could have gotten away with a smaller one, and for someone your size, I think it is even more likely. Clark does have a size chart on their site you may want to take a look at.

Update to test :
    Very confident in hammock setup.

Not confident in fire making skills. Tried to test my new ember lit, using found tinder, but metal matches. Got flame, but couldn't get the sticks lit

I'm really sold on the Coughlin's (sp) Fire Sticks for lighting the Emberlit. I cut each stick into quarters...each quarter weighs in at a whopping .1 oz which means you get 10 fires per ounce. I've been able to get even wet twigs going with it. No mess either.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    Sigh, I have the self control of a 2 year old.

Today the temp dropped down to 0 from the nice mid 30s we were having last week, so I dropped the bomb on a zliner, just in case for next week. We will see.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    I have been down in the low 20s and have been very warm with no zliner. I use a ridge rest foam cell pad an a 20 degree bag. Very comfy.

• + New Posts