Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Modular Costco UQ

Last winter I made my wife a "full length" Costco underquilt (70"x46"), mainly for warm weather camping. We are planning a trip for April ,when the lows will dip into the mid 40's, so I figured she'd need something warmer. I had a couple extra Costco throws, so I decided to try to make a modular UQ, where I could add/remove layers as needed. The Additional layer would be about 65"x42", but I am having trouble deciding how to secure the additional layer, both on the sides and the foot/head ends. I am considering either clips, snaps or velcro, but would like to hear from others who may have more experience with this.

Here's some pictures of the unfinished product. The silver UQ is the original, and the purple is the add-on layer.

http://imgur.com/a/vnLFd

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I used snaps to make my modular Costco system. There's videos on my YouTube channel (in my signature ) of my system.

So far the snaps seems to work fine for me.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Mine isn't modular, but I used 2 quilts to make a 3 layer UQ. Fold over one square on each long side, then fold the second quilt in half lengthwise. Attach the 2 quilts along the folded edges of the full length folds. Use the folds as channels. Viola! an UQ that I have used in the high 30's comfortably. BTW I get cold easily. Oh, I did sew grosgrain channels along the short end of the long quilt to tighten it up in use, along with grosgrain loops for suspension. Later I pulled threads to make alternating direction tubes with the down, rather than the squares.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Snaps sound like the way to go. Sometime Velco does stick well when its cold. Plus snaps would be pretty easy to attach.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'm going the snaps route. Any recommendations for the hardware/tools?

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    I used snaps to make my modular Costco system. There's videos on my YouTube channel (in my signature ) of my system.

So far the snaps seems to work fine for me.
    +1 on snaps! i use them for my first (not very well planned out, but highly professionally exceuted) pluq, and they're perfect. right amount of holding power, but still easy to undo. also, velcro eats at my super soft fabrics of my super fragile hammock stuffs.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    you can buy kits that contain the tools to make the hole and add the button and the whatever other side is called. not too expesive. i recommend trying to find 'gypsy snaps' because they have male on one side femal on the otherside and they're SUPER useful with other stuff that uses them like military surplus ponchos.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pad + DIY down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    bser272
    I like that idea. I purchased a bunch of these quilts and haven't had time to do anything with them yet.
    It looks like you removed the thread on one side of the box to create tubes, any reason you chose to have them run vertical rather than horizontal?
    Also, what temperature do you think one layer is good to and your hopes for double layer?

Speedogomer
    I like your method as well. I assume the sock takes the place of a topquilt only? You mentioned frost in the video, is that comfortable at those temps with no additional TQ?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I have a few of the "Grip-Clips" for temp-modz/prototyping and the like. They are great for stuff like this where you only need a quick fix and might want to try it different ways a few times before committing gear to the injectorz
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    you can buy kits that contain the tools to make the hole and add the button and the whatever other side is called. not too expesive. i recommend trying to find 'gypsy snaps' because they have male on one side femal on the otherside and they're SUPER useful with other stuff that uses them like military surplus ponchos.
    Awesome, I'll check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by altro View Post
    bser272
    I like that idea. I purchased a bunch of these quilts and haven't had time to do anything with them yet.
    It looks like you removed the thread on one side of the box to create tubes, any reason you chose to have them run vertical rather than horizontal?
    Also, what temperature do you think one layer is good to and your hopes for double
    I removed all of the long seams and shook the down to the width I wanted and sewed it up. That compresses the down into a smaller area. Can't do that with the baffles running the other way. Wanted the full length, but only needed 2/3 of the width. Most people claim these are good into the upper 40's, hopefully down to 30 with two offsetting layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    I have a few of the "Grip-Clips" for temp-modz/prototyping and the like. They are great for stuff like this where you only need a quick fix and might want to try it different ways a few times before committing gear to the injectorz
    That's a great idea. I'll start with those and do some tinkering. I can always repurpose them later for another project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast