Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Has anyone used Thinsulate from 3 M for an underquilt

I am unsure of the compression versus Climashield and Down

I might be able to score some for FREE! not sure what thickness
    just not sure if it would be worth the effort

I am a warm sleeper I made a insulbrite UQ with 2 layers reflective side opposite each other and with my 20* mummy as a TQ went down to 27* with plenty of wind and I stayed warm all night
    this does not compress well and is Heavy

This was my first attempt at sewing anything so it was a great project and Now my Cat
    uses it as a Bed
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpash View Post
    Has anyone used Thinsulate from 3 M for an underquilt

I am unsure of the compression versus Climashield and Down

I might be able to score some for FREE! not sure what thickness
    just not sure if it would be worth the effort

I am a warm sleeper I made a insulbrite UQ with 2 layers reflective side opposite each other and with my 20* mummy as a TQ went down to 27* with plenty of wind and I stayed warm all night
    this does not compress well and is Heavy

This was my first attempt at sewing anything so it was a great project and Now my Cat
    uses it as a Bed
    From the research I've done, Thinsulate is an inferior material for quilts compared to the "Big 3" (800+ fp down, Primaloft, and Climashield). The reason being is that it isn't as effective an insulator as Climashield or Primaloft, let alone down, for a given weight. It is also fairly incompressable. It's pretty comparable to InsulBright in that manner, actually, though it'll be slightly thinner (compressed or uncompressed) than InsulBright for a given temperature rating.

Where Thinsulate shines is in clothing that has to move with you; the thinness of the insulation for its warmth makes joints much easier to use in the cold. Down will do the same thing, but it doesn't insulate when it's compressed in the interior of the joint. Thinsulate does.

Anyway, that's what my little research into Thinsulate indicates. Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Thanks FLRider

I Will have to find another use for it Then
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Glad I saw this, I'm planning to make a single layer 5oz Climashield with 1.1oz ripstop nylon as the shell. I calculated a 14.4oz weight not counting grossgain, and some other miscellaneous. That's 4 yards of 1.1oz ripstop and 10oz of Climashield. I was really hoping it would compress a little better than I saw on this thread. I was trying to copy the specs from Enlighten Equipment to make my underquilt and hopefully double as a top quilt or I'll make another one down the road for the top with 2.5oz. Enlighten 4oz Climashield is rated at 35, I was thinking 5oz should be real close to low 30s high 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    How practical would it be to make a 3/4 UQ with CS 2.5 for mild weather. A full length UQ with CS 5.0 for nights in the 20-30s Then on real cold,teens use both. Perhaps have the 3/4 slip inbetween the full length and the hammock, using ties or snaps to keep in position?
    I made one a few months ago using CS 2.5oz and ripstop nylon 1.1oz. I also made a top quilt of same material. I tend to sleep only in shorts, t-shirt, and socks, and the top quilt works for me to about 53F then I start to fill chilled. I cannot recall my lower range on the underquilt, but it is slightly lower but not by much. I was hoping 2.5oz of CS would take me to about 45F, but it seems lower 50s is more realistic. The underquilt weighs about 12.5oz, and the top quilt weighs about 16oz. The dimensions are about 44x55 for underquilt and 55"x72" for the top quilt (give or take a foot here or there).

I have found, however, that I can combine my CS 2.5oz top quilt with my JacksRBetter Sierra Stealth (rated to 40F to 45F) and the two easily take me to 30F. I've not had a chance to test the combination at a lower temperature yet. I like that I have a top quilt modular system (one synthetic and the other down) that weighs less than 2 lbs and good to below freezing.
    Last edited by bwg; 12-08-2012 at 12:57.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    To add to this it has been awhile. Since this quilt I have bought several others but still play with this for cold temps or car camps with son. Have had it down now close to 10 degrees on road trip and slept like baby( insert joke here). So happy with it. Plus sentimental value since was my first real sewing job and underquilt.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I have an underquilt I made from 2 layers of 2.5 oz Climashield XP that keeps me toasty below 30 degrees.

In a Hammock Camping merit badge course (unoffical merit badge), we made underquilts from 4.0 oz. Climashield Apex and they work really well. The boys and their parents came together to creat a makeshift "sweat shop" to crank out the UQs. The boys also made their own straps and whoopie slings. It was a ton of work, but they love the gear not to mention learned a few things (like saving a bunch of money on their gear). The troop reimbursed me for the materials and the boys paid a lab fee. We got some materials donated to help reduce the costs.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

to clarify, definition of CLO

Quote Originally Posted by dammfast View Post
    CLO = The amount of insulation which will maintain normal skin temperature of the human body when heat production is 50 kilogram-calories per meter squared per hour, air temperature is 70°F (21°C), and the air is still.

I stole that off the internet but at anyway it is an engineering term.
    This thread was very helpful and i appreciate it, but to clarify the definition of "Clo" for those of us who might still be confused here is a good source:
    http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cl...ion-d_732.html

The insulation of clothes are often measured in the unit "Clo", where

1 Clo = 0.155 m2K/W

Clo = 0 - corresponds to a naked person
    Clo = 1 - corresponds to the insulating value of clothing needed to maintain a person in comfort sitting at rest in a room at 21 ℃ (70 ℉) with air movement of 0.1 m/s and humidity less than 50% - typically a person wearing a business suit

examples of common clothes are given at website.

Hammock
    DIY DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Does anyone have any experience with adding Apex into a PLUQ?

I've got a sew-up PLUQ that takes me down to ~55 just fine. I'm going to start working on one to take me lower, ideally down to about 30.

Seems like some people are taking a layer of 5oz and a ripstop shell into the 30s, so I'll probably just go for a layer of 5oz, and maybe it could go even lower.

I guess I'm just double-checking there's no real compelling reason to go with 2.5oz. Or maybe I'm just talking (typing) out loud!

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Notare View Post
    To add to this it has been awhile. Since this quilt I have bought several others but still play with this for cold temps or car camps with son. Have had it down now close to 10 degrees on road trip and slept like baby( insert joke here). So happy with it. Plus sentimental value since was my first real sewing job and underquilt.
    That's a great-looking quilt. Nice, effective design, and well-made. Congratulations on a solid first UQ.
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast