DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    DD Travel Hammock is 8'7" x 4'4", or 103" x 52" or 2.7m x 1.45m. Weight on stuff sack lists it as 900 grams (31.75 oz), but a good part of that weight is from the god-awful webbing, which IMO will wick like crazy and is HEAVY. Haven't tested the theory yet, but it's some kind of woven nylon webbing, which also has a little stretch to it. Zippers are good on it, construction/sewing good, and it hangs somewhat flat (not a lot of sag) and very comfortable. It has loops to run a support for the bug net, but no end caps for the supports like some of the custom DIY claytors have. The loops are similar, but not quite the same as these: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/g...html#post64269

I like my DD. I can set up my Clark faster and it doesn't take as much adjustment, especially the bug net, but it is a very comfortable and roomy hammock. And the pad pocket is basically a second layer of nylon, like my DIY. A double layer hammock. For someone who likes Claytors, I imagine it would be a familiar lay. It is roomy when you get the bug net figured out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I just saw on DD's website that the webbing weighs 150g or 5.29 oz. I'll have to weigh mine, because it seems heavier than that to me.

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Thanks FF, do you know if that's the 2008 size? I remember reading that they were increasing the size for 08 since it was a bit on the short size before.

A couple of videos I came across. I'm not sure how I'm going to get on with little sag, I've become quite attached to my hook and bag double.
    My initial thought is to junk the tapes use my normal ring setup, but I'll try stock for a while, the setup in the videos below seems fairly straightforward.

2008 DD Travel Hammock
    YouTube - DD Travel hammock 2008 version
    DD camping hammock setup (looks so short)
    YouTube - DD Camping hammock setup (revisited)

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It was pablo's video that got me turned on to hammocks. I was very close to buying a DD but like I said, the shipping turned me off. So I decided to start searching for state-side suppliers of camping hammocks and needless to say that it wasn't no time that I found my way here.

I might be interested in getting into a group buy later on but I haven't even got in my Treklight yet. (Shipped today, as a matter of fact.)

Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of a second layer for a Thermarest or what-have-you.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I am going to contact DD Hammocks and ask them about a group buy. If there is enough interest I may handle a DD Hammock group buy
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Thanks FF, do you know if that's the 2008 size? I remember reading that they were increasing the size for 08 since it was a bit on the short size before.
    This is the 2008 size.

It was the DD Hammock that got me to this site as well. I am a reformed ground dweller as well. I started camping with a bivy shelter, went to a 4-season 2 man, then to a 4-season 4 man tent for group trips. I hated sleeping on the ground and would sometimes sleep in my packable parachute hammock, but the bugs would drive me crazy. I heard about Hennessy hammocks, and bought one. I hated the darn thing. I then looked at the Claytor and the DD, and then did a web search for hammock camping to see what else there was, and found this site. I lurked for a little less than a year, and joined after I bought my Clark. It was all over for me then - now I have 5 hammocks, 4 tarps, 2 UQ's, 2 top quilts, and a lot of DIY fabric yet to use. Most of the DIY people here have a lot more than that!

Anyway, I really like the DD and am glad I bought it. It's not a totally flat sleep, but flatter than my Clark. But I don't think there is any such thing as a bad hammock, just one that doesn't fit you personally. And if you don't like your DD, I'll buy it from you. Post pics when you get it. If we do end up doing a group buy, I'll probably get another one.

Email [email protected], and address it to Penny. She's great, even though I never bought from her, she was very helpful and answered all my many questions.

Thumbs up Update on DD

Hi, I'm new to the group and based in the UK.

I had a £26 'bargain' 2008 DD hammock arrive yesterday and I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all, all zips ok, mozzie net loops were all there. But I may just have been lucky.

I'm 240lbs, 5' 10" and I fit with room to spare, a little bit tight across the shoulders but that might just be me, I find all mummy sleeping bags the same. I might make a simple wooden spreader bar for the head end to give me more room.

I also bought the 3m x 3m (118" x 118" for you non metricated people out there) but didn't get a chance to put it up.

This is my first bivvy hammock and am looking forward to trying it in a couple of weekends time.

Will report my findings then.

Phil

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12