Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images

???Non-breathable top layer for a UQ???

I'm looking into a buying or building 20* UQ. I'm considering a non-breathable upper layer (towards hammock), either Cuben or the reflective stuff from DIYGS. I'm curious about moisture issues. It seems that since the moisture has no where to go it would collect and become bothersome, but I've seen a lot of folks lately using non-breathable stuff like Cuben or IX on top. So, I hoping some experienced folk can shed some light on this for me.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Really...Nothing?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    So far, my cuben top layered Phoenix has worked very well for me with no condensation issues at all. That being said, I have not had it in the summer heat yet. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    It seems like that would be useful for long trips in deep winter, when the temperatures never get above freezing. It would prevent degradation of your insulation due to moisture buildup, but would require all of the usual tricks associated with vapor barriers.

I don't know enough about winter camping to be able to intelligently comment on this, though. Living in Florida means that even when it gets down below freezing, it doesn't stay that way for more than four or five hours.

If you've got the funds and the time, give it a try and let us know how it works!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    It seems like that would be useful for long trips in deep winter, when the temperatures never get above freezing. It would prevent degradation of your insulation due to moisture buildup, but would require all of the usual tricks associated with vapor barriers..................
    That sounds about right to me. For me, if the vapor barrier ( like a space blanket right under the hammock in my HHSS or PeaPod) is kept close to your body it should be warm. Vapor condenses into liquid when it contacts a surface or air below the dew point. As with your breath on a real cold day or on your windshield or on your glasses when you step out of an air conditioned car into 100F. ( sorry, I'm sure you already know all that)

Point is, if you keep it WARM ( snug against your body) there SHOULD not be any condensation. Though some parts might be warmer than other parts. Like your the part against your back compared to the leg area on the non-diagonal side with a full length quilt.

In practice, the above theory has always worked perfectly for me, but others have had less positive experiences.

And sweat is a different issue. If your back is warm enough ( what ever temp that is for you) you are going to sweat. But condensation or sweat, I guess you can decide if you would rather have that moisture against your skin and maybe in your fleece clothing, or (especially on long cold trips) inside your down quilt?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    same as raiffnuke with no problems with a cuben top layered Phoenix...have used it 5 or 6 times now in temps ranging from 26-38F...dont plan on using it in summer.

• + New Posts