Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies

Should I switch to a WBBB from a Hennessy Hyperlite?

I'm trying to come up with a good solution for an extended hike this spring. I currently have a hennessy hyperlite which i havent spent too much time in, but I'm wondering if i should check out a WBBB as well, probably a 1.1s. Im really trying to watch my weight and dont think i need more than that. Im 5'8" and about 160. suspension isnt a consideration between the hammocks, whatever i get ill be converting over to whoopies (although ease of switching to whoopies may be a consideration).

The main reasons im considering switching to a WBBB is:

zipper entry, right now i have bottom entry. i know HH makes zipper entry as well so maybe this isnt a point btw the brands but just in my case. I think im going to want to be able to adjust my underquilt or pull back the bug netting occasionally. Especially if im solo hiking, i need to be able to adjust the uq with me in the hammock. the 2qzq mods would be an option as well but id still have that bottom entry just dangling there and that would just bother me ya know?

space. I like the idea of the wbbb footbox. has anyone around my height tried these hammocks? would it actually make a difference for my height (5'8")? I dont want to go for it if my feet wont even reach it.

also, do they lay differently or feel different? possibly because of the footbox.

one thing i dont like so much about the wbbb is the two tie outs per side..i dont like more to do while im setting up. can these be strung together so only one point/stake is necessary for attachment? or would it be possible to integrate these with a hex/maccat tarp using shock cord and mitten clips?

also, the nylon taffeta of the hennessy hammock is nice and soft..i really like that. is there any functional differences btw this and the 1.1 ripstop? im assuming its not as nice and soft, but i suppose i can deal with that.

any advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by pdizzle; 12-12-2011 at 11:59.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I have always believed was the spice of life. If you ultralite is the Expediton based model - then yes that was one of my main reason to switch. I also had(have) a classic entry and the zip was much more freedom for me. The WBBB just seemed to have som much more space (and the great shelf) as compared to my Expedition. I still use it now and then but my WBBB is the go -to right now.

I am about your sized.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    zipper entry, right now i have bottom entry. i know HH makes zipper entry as well so maybe this isnt a point btw the brands but just in my case. I think im going to want to be able to adjust my underquilt or pull back the bug netting occasionally. Especially if im solo hiking, i need to be able to adjust the uq with me in the hammock. the 2qzq mods would be an option as well but id still have that bottom entry just dangling there and that would just bother me ya know?
    2QZQ can sew up the "birth canal" too. I considered a Hennessy (still do at times) with the 2QZQ mod that allows the netting to bve totally unzipped. I'd guess that both sides could also be opened enough to just adjust the UQ easily. That said the WBBB is a fine hammock and the shelf is my favorite feature...well that and the ties that now allow you to tie the netting out of the way.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm shorter than you & much heavier. The lay is great & you'll still use the footbox.

The tie-outs make the hammock feel much more spacious. The shelf side one is necessary if you have any heavy items, because it keeps them away from your side (not pleasant to have a nalgene hitting your shoulder all night long).

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Its only one tie out per side. As for not reaching the foot box at your hieght i dont think it would be a problem. I love my wbbb but ive never been in a hennesesy. My wbbb is fairly soft it slicker feeling than taffeta.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    I also agree with Law Dawg and have you think about having your existing hammock modified by 2QZQ. You already invested in the HH. If you are happy with the way you lay in it, then modify it. Less beans given out. I think thats what I would do. If you know someone with a BB, ask to borrow it to see if you like sleeping in it better and make that info help you in the question you asked. I have both a BB and a HH, and I am comfortable in both. My HH is a bottom entry, which is great for when you are being swarmed by bugs, so IMO there is a benefit to both. Hope this helps!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    I have both. I've slept in the WBBB for the past two nights.

I'm 5'6, 160 and the size is perfect. Lots of room and the material is really comfortable.

I love my HH and it's pretty much bomb proof, however the WBBB is coming with me on my thru hike.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A lot of people switch from HH to Warbonnet. Not many people switch from Warbonnet to HH. Draw your own conclusion from that.

I have two of both, and like them all. But the Warbonnet comes with me on hikes and the HHs get loaned out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I mainly use my HH with the 2QZQ mod. I prefer it over the WB at the moment.
    If I were you I would have the Mod done (4 rocks) and give it a go.
    If your still not sure go to a local hang and try a WB out.

And on a side note, if at a later date you decide you prefer the WB.
    Having the 2QZQ mod will just make the HH sell faster.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Wbbb

Yes, you need one. If you want to save weight get a WB Traveler as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast