Seatbelt Web vs Regular Polyester

I was about to pick up some seatbelt webbing, but am not sure if there is a benefit to regular polyester webbing.

Does one stretch less? Is one more durable? Does one slide around less on the tree?

I am assuming there are weight savings with seatbelt w. but they are meant for "indoor" use so I am wondering if anyone has used both or has some input.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I like the seatbelt webbing because it holds up to the wear and tear a little bit better.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It depends on webbing to the next. I have seen some very low quality "seatbelt webbing" and I have seen some very low quality standard polyester. And of course the other side as well. Many manufactures will call it seatbelt webbing just based on the type of weave done not the potential that it would be used in a car. Strength wise there is not much of a reason to go with seatbelt webbing, if your doing the sewing for the end loops it's generally much harder to work with (the reason we quit doing it) and it's next to impossible to tie a Marlin Spike Hitch in, as well as finding buckles that might work with it. From the 1" Seatbelt webbing that I have seen you will generally be in a thicker webbing than more common tree strap grade polyester.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I like the seatbelt webbing because it holds up to the wear and tear a little bit better.
    Good to know it can withstand the elements, that was something I wasn't sure about.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    It depends on webbing to the next. I have seen some very low quality "seatbelt webbing" and I have seen some very low quality standard polyester. And of course the other side as well. Many manufactures will call it seatbelt webbing just based on the type of weave done not the potential that it would be used in a car. Strength wise there is not much of a reason to go with seatbelt webbing, if your doing the sewing for the end loops it's generally much harder to work with (the reason we quit doing it) and it's next to impossible to tie a Marlin Spike Hitch in, as well as finding buckles that might work with it. From the 1" Seatbelt webbing that I have seen you will generally be in a thicker webbing than more common tree strap grade polyester.
    Interesting... I guess I'll pass on the seatbelt webbing and stick with the polyester since it's more compatible with my current setup. Thank you both for the input.

• + New Posts