Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why separate the fly ?

I have noticed that many Clark users separate the fly from the hammock? What is the advantage of this? Now you have 6 lines to tie off rather than 4 and you have to wrestle with the tarp instead of smoothly deploying as a single unit with the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    When a tarp is tied directly to the trees instead of the hammock suspension, it will remain pitched much more tautly. That means that it makes less noise when the wind blows, and because it isn't 'flapping freely' it is less at risk of being damaged.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    When a tarp is tied directly to the trees instead of the hammock suspension, it will remain pitched much more tautly. That means that it makes less noise when the wind blows, and because it isn't 'flapping freely' it is less at risk of being damaged.
    Angry I understand that if tarp is pitched on it's own it is easyer to keep taught but on my Clark I have all my guys with tubing on them to keep it from flapping and even though the tarp is still hooked to the hammock it does not get lose.

I for one have never taken the tarp off and tied it on it's own and have never had any problem with flapping or noisey tarp even before I put tubing on them. I think that most people are doing it to give more head room at least those that are doing it with the clarks but there again I have not had any problem with it and proved not a week or so ago that haveing another tarp will give you much more room that than the tarps that come with the clark now that being said I use a XL tarp from Clark and used a MacCat deluxe and a Neo 9x9 tarp. The tarps are going to have to be bigger than those to give you much more room than what you would have if you had the XL tarp from clark.

Keeping the fly separate lets me pitch the fly first when it's raining. That gives me a covered area to get out of the rain and then hang the hammock under the fly, keeping it nice and dry.

The next morning, I take down my (still dry) hammock, pack up all my gear, then take down the wet fly and put it in an outside pocket of my pack. This helps even more if it's still raining in the morning.

Packing up a wet fly and a dry hammock is a recipe for a wet hammock. Not a big deal if you can dry it out at lunch or the following evening, but not so great if it's raining for several days.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    You have the Clark Hammock mixed up with the Hennessy Hammock.

The Clark tarp doesn't tie to the hammock suspension, neither does the bugnet pull-ups. On the Clarks, the bugnet pull-ups attach either to the tarp or directly to the tree when the tarp isn't used. The tarp ties directly to the trees.
    Youngblood AT2000

I dont know..... seems to me that it would be easier to keep everything attached. If it DOES rain or the tarp is wet in the morning, THEN you can separate it and pack them up separately.

Images
    I keep mine seperate for flexability. It is the last thing I pack and the first thing that goes up in the rain. It gives me a dry shelter that I can stand up in to pack or unpack. There are very few mornings that I do not have at least some condensation under my tarp. This also gives me the ability take breaks and eat lunch out of the wind and rain. My sleepingbag or quilt remains attached to my hammock all the time to make my set up at night very fast and I'm not willing to take a chance on wetting my bed .
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I like it up higher when there is only a passing chance of some light rain. That lets me stand under it more comfortably, and allows more ventilation (I'm very hot-natured). I also like the idea of being able to get that up first if it is already raining when I am setting up.

That's about it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I have never had to seperate my fly on my Clark NA. With everything together, I can set up in less than 5 minutes. I even leave my tree huggers attached when I roll it up. It's always dried quickly enough after the few rains and one snow it has seen to pack it away dry. Knock on Wood. If I ever needed to pack up during a rainstorm, I'd seperate it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I did my first raining hang last night. I pitched the hammock as usual and stayed dry. Well, kind of... the hammock istelf stayed dry. Now comes my question... If the HH tarp is hung as prescribed, attached to the support lines, will condensation leak through the bug net from underneath the tarp? I felt like I was bak in my old canvas single wall tents where if you touch the sides you create a drip point. It wasn't _that_ bad, but I did seem to attract a certain dampness. Condensation was a bad thing last night. The fog was pea soup thick.

I forgot my meds and so had to abandon my hang around midnight when it became obvious I was going to need them. Driving out was like driving through a steaming shower stall.

For the first time I really felt horrid in the Safari, but I think it may have been the lack of my meds.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast