Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Another take on Tyvek GrizzBeaks

I went ahead and made a video of my Tyvek Grizz Beaks for the Grand Trunk 10' x 10' Funky Forest Tarp while the topic is still fresh after USMCStang's recent post here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=45303

I have watched GrizzlyAdams' videos on DIY Grizz Beaks but I didn't actually go back and refer to them for this project. I just kind of winged it since I figure Grizz Beak measurements will differ depending on the type of tarp you have. I used Tyvek tape rather than sewing.

For tie-outs, I used 2.2 mm Zing-it. I poked a small hole in the Tyvek about two to three inches from the edge, and fed the Zing-it through. I then tied a knot, since I figured a knot would be less likely to pull free from the tape. I made my loop, then poked another hole, fed it through, and tied another knot. So there's a knot on one side of the Tyvek, and a knot on the other side (I didn't want them on the same side stressing the same piece of tape. I then taped the Zing-it in place on both sides. If a tie-out comes loose, I have small pieces of Tyvek in my repair kit so I can do field repairs.

In the limited testing I've done (and luckily there's been a LOT of wind in my backyard the last couple of weeks for testing), the only time the Zing-it has come loose is when I didn't use a knot fed through the Tyvek on both sides. Lesson learned. I initially tried just taping the loop on one side and that came loose fairly quickly. The Tyvek tape can hold a single piece of Zing-it with a knot fairly easily - when you have two pieces of Zing-it on the same side, it puts too much stress on the tape and the Zing-it works loose.

Here's a little diagram of how I made my tie-outs - I'm using Visio and my illustrations are definitely not dejoha quality.

As I mention in the video, it is best to take field measurements since it all depends on your tarp dimensions and how you hang your tarp. The dimensions I started with are depicted in the diagram below.

I didn't wash the Tyvek 'cause I figure it will quiet down just by being rolled up into the pack a few times. There's a post by a Scout leader somewhere on HF where he has the Scouts crinkle and bunch up the Tyvek to quiet it down - so scrunching the Tyvek up and stuffing it in your pack essentially serves the same purpose.

I used VideoPad Video Editor (free version) for this video. It's much easier to use than Microsoft Windows Live Movie Maker. I saved in .flv format 'cause I don't know any better. It took about 12 minutes to create the movie, and less than 3 minutes to upload to YouTube! Much better performance than Movie Maker, and apparently YouTube likes .flv format a lot better than .mov format.

The software can apparently upload directly to YouTube, but I didn't feel like trying it. Might try .mp4 or some other format next time I use VideoPad.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I THOUGHT I had high winds in my back yard to test this, until tonight, when I got really high winds. I had the Grizz Beaks on the end facing into the wind, and of course, the wind shifted and came from the other side. This turned the tarp and the Grizz Beaks into essentially a sail. The tie-outs held, but the shock cord over the ridgeline came loose.

As I have mentioned before, my property is the last place you would want to hang a tarp or hammock. Location, location, location! I have a river in back of me and the Atlantic ocean two blocks away and the wind just swirls and changes direction constantly during windstorms. Tonight it's gusting up to 40 miles an hour and I hope tarp and Grizz Beaks are there in the morning.

I think once I make GrizzBeaks for the other end the sail effect will be diminished, though in wind conditions like this I may have to just lower the tarp to where it's essentially level with the ground.

Wait a sec, gotta go take the tarp down - just read the National Weather Service Special Weather Statement for my area:

AT 200 AM, A STRONG COLD FRONT FROM THE WEST WAS APPROACHING OUR REGION. THE WIND WILL SHIFT FROM THE SOUTHWEST TO THE WEST AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 35 OR 40 MPH WILL REMAIN POSSIBLE UNTIL CLOSE TO DAYBREAK AS COLD AIR BEGINS TO BUILD INTO OUR REGION.

THE STRONG WIND GUSTS MAY BRING DOWN SMALL TREE LIMBS AND MAY BLOW AROUND OUTDOOR OBJECTS SUCH AS GARBAGE CANS. DRIVING MAY ALSO BECOME DIFFICULT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE OPERATING A LARGE VEHICLE.

This concludes the end of my testing!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Tyvek GrizzBeaks have been put to bed - all tie-outs survived. Tarp is secured in snake skins. All is right with the world.

My neighborhood is the ultimate test bed for high winds coming from all directions. These 40 mph gusts are rather mild for my area. I get a real kick out of the folks around here who erect the solid vinyl fences with no venting whatsoever. They want their privacy - until they find their expensive fences have blown three blocks away. It's a constant source of amusement for me. I wonder how the landscapers can install these fences with a clear conscience.

DivaB - I only undertook this testing for you, my fellow owner of the Funky Forest tarp. I felt it my obligation to address the door situation we both face. Now my hair is all messed up from the wind -arrghhh! I look like Nick Nolte after his DUI arrest.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thanks for the PM on what you did with the Funky Tarp It's been raining cats and dogs here, and I have not been able to put my tarp back up to see if I've gotten close to what I want or not...plus living in town we have very limited space. Our hang is this Friday...and right now I'm in a major mess of cutting a down comforter to get my son and I through (after our trip I'll harvest the down to make a proper UQ). So for right now, I'm going to have to go with my guesstimate, shower curtains, and hope for the best on the tarp doors

I like how you changed the hang too. Never even thought about that.

This will be our first winter hang....can't even believe I'm going to do this craziness, but I'm curious what all this talk is about.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    This will be our first winter hang....can't even believe I'm going to do this craziness, but I'm curious what all this talk is about.
    2 more days

SilvrSurfr, good to see you got them field tested, and thanks for the mention. Mine won't see their first use until the above mentioned hang this weekend. I'm using the mini s-biners that Nite-ize has on their key-ring carabiner to attach my doors to the split rings at the corners and ridgeline of my BMJ. They're about the size of mitten hooks.

A suggestion to anyone attempting doors or grizz beaks is to pitch your tarp at the widest you envision yourself using the doors, then take your measurements, giving about 1" of overlap at the meeting point of the doors. If you pitch your tarp narrow and measure, you'll really take away some flexibility in pitch angles should you want to pitch a little wider, but still use the doors and have them "seal".
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Nice video Silvr.
    Pretty sure I need to get my HH Hex hung and take some measurements!
    We have a hang coming in a month up in Algonquin and from what I understand nightly lows have been dipping to -30*C.
    Those beaks should really make a difference!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, I put my Tyvek Grizz Beaks in action this weekend at the NJ Winter Hang 2012. The first night was windy with a low of 28. I was concerned about the noise they might make in wind, but they were quiet. The second night was a low of 22.

The Tyvek Grizz Beaks really keep in the warmth. On both nights I was toasty. I didn't really expect to get any warmth out of the Grizz Beaks, but I'm thinking they hold the warmth in and add possibly 10 degrees of warmth.

Both nights I left water bottles on the ground underneath my hammock. While other people had their water bottles freeze, I didn't have so much as a crystal form in my water bottles on either night. This really surprised me because the tarp and Grizz Beaks did not go all the way to the ground, and there was still two or three inches for ventilation. So it appears the Grizz Beaks are trapping body heat and warming the surrounding air all the way to the ground. Totally unexpected!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Very nice, a bit surprised that they made that much of a difference.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I liked you Tyvek GB too.... i got to make me a set
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts