Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Forums

I was wondering if this forum program that is running has the abilty to run chat on it like some of the others out there. I was on the Survival Discussion Board and Forum - Urban and Wilderness Topics forum and it looks allot like this one and was wondering if this one has chat but it's just turned off so no one can use it.

My thought is that It would be nice to chat with people on here instead of PMing back and fourth and thought that it might keep more people here as well. just a thought.

That website is running flashchat from this page - Darren's Script Archive - chatrooms, image galleries, applets, advanced php/mysql systems, website scripts, flash xml, ajax chat

Its only $5 and it fully integrates with this forum software.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
    That website is running flashchat from this page - Darren's Script Archive - chatrooms, image galleries, applets, advanced php/mysql systems, website scripts, flash xml, ajax chat

Its only $5 and it fully integrates with this forum software.

5 dollars a month or year or what

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    5 dollars a month or year or what
    $5 forever - you buy the script, upload it to your server and install it. It fully integrates with existing useraccounts. I think it took a whole 5 minutes to install it on the other site.

If you really want to get fancy -

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=166834

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121884

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=143840

Those will put a block on your page saying who is in the chat room, and integrate it into a forum page.

Images
    I don't know if it was covered here, but that comes up on WB every so often. The biggest reason against is the ideas and conversation is lost to record and from the entire community. It closes more things than making an open exchange of ideas. For these reasons I'm against integrating it within HF.

If you are looking to chat with a couple people, there are plenty of chat programs out there.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I agree with coffee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I don't know if it was covered here, but that comes up on WB every so often. The biggest reason against is the ideas and conversation is lost to record and from the entire community. It closes more things than making an open exchange of ideas. For these reasons I'm against integrating it within HF.

If you are looking to chat with a couple people, there are plenty of chat programs out there.
    I have discussed this with the Admins here on Hammock Forums and we have come to the same conclusion as the reason WB does not have a chat program.

If we were to install the program then we believe it would take away from the posting on the forums. People would be logging into chat and asking questions and getting answers. What about the people that were not logging into the chat program?

They would not benefit from what was being discussed there. There might possibly be a lot less posting in the forums if chat were being used. If we kept it in the forums then no one would be left out or miss anything.

The web site was created to try and get all hammockers to unite. If less gets posted in the forums and more in chat then the other people searching the web would not get as many search results back (if that makes sense).

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    From my experiances with chat rooms. MOST of the time, it is a total non-productive free-for-all. Too many people. That said, I have seen Private chat rooms set up. For the purpose of completing member-to-member sales. Such as when you want to sell some old gear, and have someone interested. Instead of having to PM or post, they can arrainge to be in a chat room and complete the discussion in 3 minutes. Then again, there seems to be these "phone" things around my house..........
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have discussed this with the Admins here on Hammock Forums and we have come to the same conclusion as the reason WB does not have a chat program.

If we were to install the program then we believe it would take away from the posting on the forums. People would be logging into chat and asking questions and getting answers. What about the people that were not logging into the chat program?

They would not benefit from what was being discussed there. There might possibly be a lot less posting in the forums if chat were being used. If we kept it in the forums then no one would be left out or miss anything.

The web site was created to try and get all hammockers to unite. If less gets posted in the forums and more in chat then the other people searching the web would not get as many search results back (if that makes sense).
    Yep make perfect sense did'nt look at it that way and I am sure that is what would happen if it did so you all are right it was just a thought. In the meantime I will just talk to those few on yahoo about everyday things like how many fish I caught yesterday

Instead of me telling you how my members love the chat room, and it might be the best $5 I ever spent on my site, and how a lot of the lurkers go into the chat room and post there, and how it brings the community closer together, and how a lot of the members like the real time chat over the forum, and this and that......., all I have to say is this is yalls site, and it will run it as all of you see fit. I just disagree with all of your statements.

A member is like a customer, give them what they want and they will stay. Dont give them what they want and they will go somewhere else. Do your members want a chat room? If so, give it to them, its only $5 and 20 minutes of your time.

I am just a visiting site owner, I sure do not want to start any problems. But I do wish this place got more traffic. And with the content this place has - it should be rocking and rolling.

Visit my site, join, make your 5 post (members with less then 5 post can not join the chat room) and try the chat room out, It would give yall a good example of how it works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast