Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lack of a UQ shouldn't keep you from winter hanging - you should be able to manage sub-freezing pretty easily and cheaply. I haven't done a lot of winter hanging yet but have done 32*F quite comfortably with a blue foam SPE plug reflective car shade. Did ~22*F with the SPE plus reflectix - back was good though the rest of me was slightly chilled due to pushing the limits of my cheapo synthetic mummy bag. If you are going to use pads do yourself a favor and get a double layer hammock it makes keeping the pads where they beong sooo much easier.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    I have done 20 degrees with nothing but my Big Agnes pad and a sleeping bag. My bag was terrible and Im using a Down TQ now but I have no need to get an UQ yet. I will probably make an SPE to cover my shoulders a little better.

Like others have said you can do pretty close to 0º with pads and a bag, dont let a few nights of suck stop you. work with the situation to see what exactly is bugging you. I spent 3 nights in ~20º and I found out that my back is fine and so are my feet, all that bothered me was the very edge of my shoulder and of corse my bag being terrible.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Hennessy expedition
    Insulation
    DIY under quilt
    Suspension
    decending rings
    Images
    I used an extra speeping bag and a reflextic pad to lay on and was comfortable at 19 degrees
    Wyatt Earp: You could have been busted up back there, or killed.
    Josephine Marcus: Fun, though, wasn't it?
    Wyatt Earp: You'd die for fun?
    Josephine Marcus: Wouldn't you?

Hammock
    Vivere Parachute Nylon Hammock
    In reply to BillyBob58, yes they are synth and the eureka bag is brand new, the other is about 5 years old. and also us canadians are not fully immune to the cold lol both myself and my friend who was with me on that hang spend alot of time outdoors year round

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    In my WBBB I used the Bear Burrito Oven (AHE topcover for BB), WalMart blue foam pad, a Thermarest half inflated on top, a windshield reflector for my shoulders, and a zero degree bag as a Topquilt in 32* weather. I also draped a poncho liner over the ridgeline inside the hammock so it hung evenly almost tent like over me. I agree that if you have a double layer hammock, to put the pads between the layers to keep them from moving around. But this was car camping. For the trail, I’m thinking I will have to get an underquilt for the sake of weight vs warmth.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Before I got my quilts, I slept fine at 37 F in a TNF 15 degree down bag with a Thermarest Z-rest foam pad, 3/4 length.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Ultralite Asym
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    WB3S Yeti, Big Ag.
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies / MSH
    while i have an UQ, it's only a 3 season yeti so when it gets really cold i bust out my big agnes inflatable pad. i use the straps on my sleeping bag to keep the pad in check and use my UQ as a TQ, just put the shock cord around my neck and let it lay on top so it stays in place. i was comfortable to about 30f, but the big agnes is relatively narrow so i was shifting around alot when my shoulders were resting/brushing up against the edge of the hammock.

this works, but it should help to point out that it's alot easier to get in and out if you aren't using a pad. of course this changes if you have a 2 layer hammock, which i don't.

once i get a proper tq and winter uq, there will be no stopping me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123