Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    I just did a winter hang at -30c windchill close to -40c using a eureka mummy bag rated at -26c and a standard run of the mill $10 summer bag inside. I had NO underquilt and no overquilt and decided to not use my foam pad. I was plenty warm and based on this last hang i will not be using a underquilt ever again.

But before you go and do a dangerous cold weather hang like i did, i suggest you test your ideas at home in a back yard to see whats best for you.

Keep em hangin
    Wow, you must be a warm sleeper, StraightUpHangin. Not even a foam pad underneath? Seems like the insulation would get compressed and you'd get cold butt syndrome.

The lowest I've been without an underquilt is 25* F with a zero degree synthetic sleeping bag, space blanket and blue foam pad. Pretty toasty.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Since my TQ is still on the way. I've slept at about 18F with my 0 degree synthetic bag, my poncho liner and a blue pad. I was really comfortable, best thing is it will only get better once I receive me TQ and UQ.

When I used pad's the lowest I got was just about 20-21*, this was with a Gossamer Gear 1/4" wide pad and a thermarest prolite 3 half inflated, 30* down mummy bag was used and wore all my clothes and was warm all night!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    DD Travel hammock with 3 x 1/4" x 20" pads and 3 windshield reflectors with a 3 season synth bag rated to 30F as a quilt has kept me warm and toasty at -13c/ 5F.

I place the pads side by side and cover the join with a 3rd foam mat, then layer the windshield reflectors over the top with the silver side closest to me.

I'm a hot sleeper

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Lowest so far is 20°F with a -20° Syn bag and a double bubble HH pad.

Lots of condensation on the pad in the morning, but toasty provided I stayed on the pad.

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I got down to the low teens with a Minicel pad before I had an underquilt. I was in a 15* Marmot mummy bag, Under Armour Base 2.0, and wool socks. I wasn't freezing, but definitely not cozy - no CBS, but the bag wasn't enough.

I started hammock camping bfore I found the forums and learned all the basics, I was starting fresh not knowing what to expect.

First 3 nights out all got to about 35-40*

Slept in normal sleepware, longjohns. Used my Marmot Trestles 0* bag.. probably about 30 mins in my butt was noticeably cold but not freezing. Folded up my polartech jacket and stuffed it under my butt and was good to go. The two times before I'd been good with just my bag. Evenn compressed synthetic insulation still has insulative properties.

However, compared to the setup I have now, it's night and day between my comfort. Those days, hammocking was compared to tenting and every night was a good night in it. I could live with the setup I had for 3 season. Winter camping is what started me onto down and since, my best night every sleeping outdoors was mid 20's. You can absolutely get by, but the more you do it, the more you'll appreciate the compactness vs. heat retention of down. And if hammocking ever becomes your main hobby and you invest enough time in it, you may decide yourself to upgrade. From someone with back issues, down has been a godsend.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I must be an enigma 'round here. Most seem to speak about needing to use an UQ when the temps drop. I am the opposite. I use an UQ for 3 seasons but use pads for the cold (teens F and below). In a recent post I described my use of pads for a -21*F hang this past weekend. I used the same setup for -11*F with 20mph winds off a frozen reservoir. For me, in the ultra cold... pads are my goto under insulation.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I've slept down to 45F with no underquilt/pad at all using a military ICW sleeping bag and poncho liner with no problem.

This past weekend was out in 22F nights with relatively high winds (30-40mph gusts) with my cheap 20deg synthetic bag and poncho liner, using the HHSS undercover, pad, and spaceblanket underneath the hammock (no overcover). Hex tarp with no doors overhead. Clothing was simply a layer of Starter baselayers, a layer of Indera baselayer, and a pair of sweat pants along with some decent wool socks I use just for sleeping. Headgear was a merino wool buff.

Slept like a baby.

I'm sure I'll end up getting a down UQ eventually, but I'm doing pretty good without one at this point.

Way to go with an HHSS at 22F! Were you inside the bag, or using it quilt style?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightUpHangin View Post
    I just did a winter hang at -30c windchill close to -40c using a eureka mummy bag rated at -26c and a standard run of the mill $10 summer bag inside. I had NO underquilt and no overquilt and decided to not use my foam pad. I was plenty warm and based on this last hang i will not be using a underquilt ever again.

But before you go and do a dangerous cold weather hang like i did, i suggest you test your ideas at home in a back yard to see whats best for you.

Keep em hangin
    Great advice there! And you immune to cold Canadians! Wow! There is a Canadian who does not post here much, that years ago did minus 13F in a basic HHSS(maybe he was inside a sleeping bag I don't remember) His buddy did the same. I've never been able to take a base HHSS much below high 20s.
    Was you Eureka and cheap summer bag synthetic? Synthetic bags don't compress near as much as down, and the cheaper and older the less the compression. Still, minus 30-40 with no pad or UQ is most impressive indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I started hammock camping bfore I found the forums and learned all the basics, I was starting fresh not knowing what to expect.

First 3 nights out all got to about 35-40*

Slept in normal sleepware, longjohns. Used my Marmot Trestles 0* bag.. probably about 30 mins in my butt was noticeably cold but not freezing. Folded up my polartech jacket and stuffed it under my butt and was good to go. The two times before I'd been good with just my bag. Evenn compressed synthetic insulation still has insulative properties.

…...................................

Absolutely no doubt about that IMO and experience. It always has less than the uncompressed top layer, but it can still be significant. The trouble is most of us ( unlike the hardy straightuphangin) can not get by with just a bag if we are even close to approaching the temp rating of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I must be an enigma 'round here. Most seem to speak about needing to use an UQ when the temps drop. I am the opposite. I use an UQ for 3 seasons but use pads for the cold (teens F and below). In a recent post I described my use of pads for a -21*F hang this past weekend. I used the same setup for -11*F with 20mph winds off a frozen reservoir. For me, in the ultra cold... pads are my goto under insulation.

I was about to say: “someone here just did minus 21 with about 1.25” total of CCF”. That would be DuctTape! I agree with you that- if you can tolerate the pad in the hammock- a thick enough pad is the most bombproof approach, plus you are all set for the ground should it hit the fan! Unlike most any quilt, wind and water proof, and much cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    ..what's your set-up for colder weather and what temp are you comfy at?

OK, I have only used a pad once other than adding a torso pad when my IX UQ was not quite warm enough in the wind, or to my BMBH in late spring summer when I was trying to sleep with nothing and couldn't quite pull it off. But, once long ago, I used an SPE with a 25 year old torso length Thermarest Ultralight inflatable on top of full length Thermarest Ridgerest CCF pad(5/8”?). With a cut up Walmart blue pad in the wings of the SPE to keep my shoulders warm, all inside a Speer hammock. It was about 18F, and it was the warmest I had ever been in a hammock until that time. Maybe still the warmest ever. I was so warm that I was- for the 1st time- able to use my bag as a quilt and still be plenty warm. I was also pretty comfortable, more so than on the ground for sure.

So, pads can for sure get 'er done, if you are one of the folks who can tolerate a pad.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles
    Thanks for all the replys. I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do. Leaning towards the HH Super Shelter but still have plenty to learn about it's tolerance .

thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast