Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think SPE's were developed around 20" wide pads 6 ft long. What you can do depends on your body but there is room to play. With a 4x8 ft pad to start with I would be inclined to try some taper so each of you gets a wider shoulder and narrower foot. You might want to lay in the hammock with the pad off center and see how wide you really want the top by your shoulders. Have somebody use a marker to set pad size and take a look. With 8 ft to work with you have room to widen the shoulders past 24 in and still keep ample foot room after you shorten the pad to your length.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    If layering, the reflectix should be closest to your body. I made two SPE a couple of days ago using military pads (affordability). We will be field testing this weekend to see where and what needs trimmed off. The first pic is of one of the SPE with the pad inserts done. The second pic shows the one with the pads inserted along with the back side of the other SPE (no pads) it shows the elastic that runs across the back to insert the long pad, and actually room to layer another 2 torso pads should we need them...but right now we only have one extra torso pad each. I'm a tall, big gal and my son is going to be tall and broad also. The center is 23.5 inches. the wings are 8" x 23.5 (x2 on each side with a gap between and bottoms sewed) I used a full width of rip stop, 1.5 yards long (folded in the sides and sewed them for the wings,added elastic to the back body portion). If I want to slide some fleece inside I can do that too and it doesn't shift. I also cut corners off of the body/torso pad.

I couldn't set up here at the house. My guess is that I will have to do some trimming of the pads, especially length.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    What we are doing is using the Hennessy radiant pad as a template. It is 30" at the head end and 18" at the foot. I cut 2pieces of ccf the same shape and have 8 pieces 4" x 2' to use as wings. Oh and the body pieces are basically 6' long.

Will be encased in a fleece "sleeve". Allows me to have multiple layers in body and in wings depending on temps.

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    If layering, the reflectix should be closest to your body. I made two SPE a couple of days ago using military pads (affordability). We will be field testing this weekend to see where and what needs trimmed off. The first pic is of one of the SPE with the pad inserts done. The second pic shows the one with the pads inserted along with the back side of the other SPE (no pads) it shows the elastic that runs across the back to insert the long pad, and actually room to layer another 2 torso pads should we need them...but right now we only have one extra torso pad each. I'm a tall, big gal and my son is going to be tall and broad also. The center is 23.5 inches. the wings are 8" x 23.5 (x2 on each side with a gap between and bottoms sewed) I used a full width of rip stop, 1.5 yards long (folded in the sides and sewed them for the wings,added elastic to the back body portion). If I want to slide some fleece inside I can do that too and it doesn't shift. I also cut corners off of the body/torso pad.

I couldn't set up here at the house. My guess is that I will have to do some trimming of the pads, especially length.

Let us know how it goes… I use an REI sit pad in my footbox and a Thermarest 3/4 pad for now, till I can afford a decent UQ/TQ set up.
    Oh… the pics didn’t show up. It may just be me though...
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I would expect some issues with combining 30" wide pads with 20" wide pads. SPEs were designed around stacking 20" pads and augmenting the lack of width with the wings. Were a 30" pad to be included in the mix, I would expect either the wings to be to far out to be of use and or the 20" pads to slide around. The use of fleece may compile the shortcomings as it will allow the pads to shift even more.

I imagine the whole setup will either work or be like getting jello to hang neatly from a tree.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I would expect some issues with combining 30" wide pads with 20" wide pads. SPEs were designed around stacking 20" pads and augmenting the lack of width with the wings. Were a 30" pad to be included in the mix, I would expect either the wings to be to far out to be of use and or the 20" pads to slide around. The use of fleece may compile the shortcomings as it will allow the pads to shift even more.

I imagine the whole setup will either work or be like getting jello to hang neatly from a tree.
    There are no 20" pads in my setup. There is a :http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...le_bubble_pad/ , and two layers of 1/4" ccf cut to the exact same dimensions and shape. the "SPE" will be sewn in this shape with 4" wide wings down each side. I have 8 pieces of 1/4" ccf that are two feet long too position in the wings as needed.

Using fleece blanket for 2 reasons:
    1) I do not want my skin on ripstop or any material like that...would drive me insane!
    2) I picked up 4 nice thin fleece blankets that measure 50" x 60" for $12 taxes in!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    I feel that the fleece will provide enough stretch to allow all three layers in the main pocket when needed. While being reasonably snug with only one or two layers in warmer weather!

Entire process will be repeated for the "BOSS".

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    There are no 20" pads in my setup. There is a :http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/p...le_bubble_pad/ , and two layers of 1/4" ccf cut to the exact same dimensions and shape. the "SPE" will be sewn in this shape with 4" wide wings down each side. I have 8 pieces of 1/4" ccf that are two feet long too position in the wings as needed.
    My bad, I did not realize that Walmart had any ccf pads 30" wide. I've seen a ccf/convoluted foam combo in that width there, but I've not seen a ccf pad wider than 26" at Wally World. Do they still carry those???

Since the head is already 29" wide, will you even need wings in this case? I think most of the SPE's tend to expand a 20" pad to 28". You might be able to skip that part.

You mentioned that rip stop would drive you nuts if used on an SPE. What is your sleeping bag or TQ made of?
    Last edited by wisenber; 01-22-2012 at 15:47.

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    My bad, I did not realize that Walmart had any ccf pads 30" wide. I've seen a ccf/convoluted foam combo in that width there, but I've not seen a ccf pad wider than 26" at Wally World. Do they still carry those???
    The ccf we are using is actually an excercise mat that measures 4' x 8' x 1/4" thick. Sorry just looked at the packaging it is actually 46" x 93".

Found this:
    Product Description

Shock Athletic™ Fitness Foam Floor protects floors and is made up of EVA foam with a diamond plate texture surface. Shock absorbing, Light weight and portable, the floor is water resistant and easy to clean. Variety of uses: Fitness mat, floor exercises, stretching, pilates, yoga and great for kids. Provides a soft play surface. Can even place under lightweight equipment. Measures: 46in x 93in (1.17m x 2.35m). 7mm thick.

Canadiantire had them on sale for $19 each.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    With the elastic on the back of the SPE, the torso pad doesn't slide around at all under the full length pad. The system is too wide though. I need to take in the wings on each side, as it pushes my make shift UQ too far out. I also need to cut down and shape better the full length pad. I love the length, but some shaping up definitely needs done. Just cutting the corners off wasn't near enough. I'm not sure why my pics didn't show up, but they are in my Album labeled DIY

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast