Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Looking for suggestions - White Moutain Wilderness near Ruidoso

Headed out to Ruidoso for a long weekend Wednesday. Wife decided she'd like to spend a day day-hiking somewhere in the area.

Looking for an 8 to 12 mile day hike with water available along the way (streams or ponds). Plan on carrying my ULA Catalyst loaded up with hammock kits for two souls for that ever popular trail side lunch and nap.

I've hiked in New Mexico before, but never around Ruidoso. Anyone have any trail suggestions?
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Check on fire status, Shane. A friend of mine got booted out of NM about a week ago because of the fires...USFS just told everybody to go home.

As for water, it may be hard to come by. Not much rain for a long time.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    There was a big complex fire between Roswell and Ruidoso along Hwy 70, but it's out (as of July 8). Nothing else burning right now within about 200 miles. Hoping that I can find a trail on Sierra Blanca that will have a nice little trickle running by it.

Thanks Gringo. Hope to see you soon.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Shane, I'd been out west and returned to Santa Fe last week, on 6/27, the fire in las alamos had just started grew to largest fire in states history within 4 days, there were 23 other fires half in southern part of state, all that said, the forest were closed to everyone, Old Gringo was correct i was told to leave a campground in the Red river area as i had worked my way north, but everything closed, driest year in states history. Some may open "if"it rains enough. when i left aborting trip, there were several fires n south. you might ck nmfires.com for updates, but would contact forest service in area. I've been in NM since late 50's, hunted and camped all over and never have i seen such dry conditions. I will say the fire fighters toughest group i know, don't know how they sustain. Anyway didn't mean to cloud your trip, but conditions bad, ck first. good luck

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

closed for want of rain

As has been said, we're basically kaputt here in New Mex. I live in central highlands, and have watched as the national forests have closed one-by-one over the past couple months, working from the south northward. Now, I'm quite certain all national forests in the state closed! Stage 3 fire restrictions, which means KEEP OUT!

I just took a trip to San Luis valley of Colorado to find any hiking/camping available. Many of the state parks here in New Mexico are closed as well. It's historically dry, dry, dry. Can't chance the public in our tinderbox right now.

It's very sad.
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    No bueno... As everyone has said, the forest is closed to ALL activity...

And I just got my Honeymoon Suite from SmokeHouse to set up in the mountains... I'll have to find a park somewhere up there to play with the new tarp...

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WBRR DBL / GTSBP
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Strap / Woopie
    "The longer I wait, the more I learn and the more $$ I save."
    "Por que la leche queste mas, que los huevos...."