DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I thought I was going to have to miss this, but as it turns out, I had some dates mixed up. I may be a possibility to attend. My concern is, I don't know the area and this would be my first real hike. If I come Friday, I would not be able to arrive until around 8:00pm. Should I wait until Saturday morning, Or will there be someone else at the trail head Friday evening, that I could follow in to camp?
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, we'll only be about a quarter mile down the trail from the parking area. When you come to the parking lot and about to turn into it, there will be a trail right across the road from where you turned in. You just go down that trail. But if you like, and you're sure that you'll be there at 8pm, I could meet you and walk you down the trail to where we'll be.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    We are hoping, watching, and not giving up until the very last second.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I thought I was going to have to miss this, but as it turns out, I had some dates mixed up. I may be a possibility to attend. My concern is, I don't know the area and this would be my first real hike. If I come Friday, I would not be able to arrive until around 8:00pm. Should I wait until Saturday morning, Or will there be someone else at the trail head Friday evening, that I could follow in to camp?
    Glad you can make it! If you want to come Friday night, simply walk out of the Firetower driveway and go directly across the street to the plainly marked trail. this trail is straight as as arrow and bordered by thick foliage on both sides making it impossible to lose the trail. The only clearing you will encounter is the one where we will be camped 1/4 mile from the Firetower.

On the map linked below, you can see the Firetower in the center of the map. The trail you will take is marked "blue" and leads north-east from the Firetower.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1

The link below is a photo of the trailhead that you will see when you walk out of the Firetower driveway. Note the large wooden sign for the Forestry Service.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&cutoffdate=-1
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    It looks like you guys are going to have to suffer through some wonderful weather for the weekend. It is beautiful out this morning... foggy, cool, and heavily scented with orange blossoms. I wish I could make this trip but work calls. At least I'll be camping out in my hammock by Lake Kissimmee (in a hammock no less!) for work.

Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too am really Jones'n to be out there with all yall' this weekend. Things happen...There will e more trips.
    Keep the chin up & heal that knee BF, Listen to your Dad as he knows best. Many more hiking & camping trips.
    Even with the warmer weather coming in daily, I plan to be out there sometime in the near future. Maybe a solo trip before the hard-rains begin...
    Take some great pix everyone! Be safe.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Just returned from checking the water situtation on the north loop trail. Accessed the Little Withlacoochee at the end of Pole Bridge Rd. There is no flow in the river, the largest pool was covered in Duck Weed and may not be too bad. The other potholes along the river bottom looked more like Hog Wallows. The water source at McKinney Sink Rd didn't look promising either, if I was looking at the right place, just a large muddy sink right off the road. The trail approaches the river again maybe a mile beyond Pole Bribge Rd, didn't hike in to check there. There is also a surface water symbol near Blue Sink. Unless there are some seeps that we cross the North loop maybe drier than the south last year. I'll be carrying in close to 10 liters on the Sherpa and considering a water cache at the end of Pole Bridge Rd. Flackfizer, you've been through there before and I think you said that Blue sink was nasty. Is that correct?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    I, for one, would much appreciate a water cache if at all possible. I usually carry 4 liters on my back anyway, but, when I hike, I sweat like a horse and drink like a thirsty camel. I don't mind filtering water, but I don't want to scoop from a muddy pothole if there is an alternative. I'd volunteer to set up a cache, but I don't know the area that well and will not be heading down until Saturday morning. Is the end of Pole Bridge Road the best bet if we do set one up? How close is the end of that road to the actual trail?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'd be willing to carry extra water if anyone needs it. I think I'll add a couple PALS strips to my front pack tonight; that way, I can strap another couple of liters to it if needs be.

Are Pole Bridge and Porter Gap both paved roads? I'd be more than willing to ride some water out there on my bike for a cache on Saturday morning; it's something like four miles round-trip if I'm reading the map correctly. I don't think I'll be up for it on Friday night, though...my legs are going to be tired.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I'd be willing to carry extra water if anyone needs it. I think I'll add a couple PALS strips to my front pack tonight; that way, I can strap another couple of liters to it if needs be.
    I appreciate the offer. I wouldn't ask anyone to carry extra for me, and I'm sure what i'll be carrying will be fine if I'm careful with it. I just have always tried to carry plenty of water since my very first hiking experience was hiking through Juniper Prairie Wilderness and running out of water . Besides, I can always just stick an extra liter or two in my wife's pack and not tell her about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Are Pole Bridge and Porter Gap both paved roads? I'd be more than willing to ride some water out there on my bike for a cache on Saturday morning; it's something like four miles round-trip if I'm reading the map correctly. I don't think I'll be up for it on Friday night, though...my legs are going to be tired.
    They are sugar sand roads as far as I can tell from google maps. Not exactly prime biking routes. If the end of Pole Bridge Road is right at the trail, we may be able to drive up there Saturday morning to drop some off before we park at the fire tower.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast