Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    shawnee National forrest largest forrest in Illinois. Lot's of place's to get lost in.
    if your looking for rock formation garden of the god's in about the same area. Allot of people go there to climb rocks. And if it is just a campout all of those place will work as well. I am really thinking about setting up a campout at Fort Massac state park and I am thinking about doing it very soon maybe we can get some folks from mo,ky,tn,il to come to it kind of a quad state thing.

I will be having several smokers there plus a couple of turkey deep fryer's there as well.

Edit I would also bringing a couple of guitars as well
    I could bring a bango and blues harp. Now this smoker and deep fryer thing has my attention.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

I vote for Kettle Moraine or Baraboo

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I'll have to get more info on where these are - I think one of them is in the Mauthe lake area, which I haven't hiked in a few due to heavy day foot traffic. It could be doable, although I like the Baraboo area better for convenience/central location.
    Howdy. I'd make the trip if it was to Baraboo or Kettle Moraine. I was born and raised in West Allis and made many trips to Mauthe Lake in my youth, it'd be a real nostalgia trip for me, and I have lots of friends and relatives in Milwaukee I could visit while in the area. Same with Baraboo - grandparents lived in Portage.

I'd be driving from Minneapolis, and can't see driving to all the way to Illinois to camp.

How will we know when we've got enough feedback to make a decision? Seems like there's a lot of diversity of opinions on this, might not be possible to make everyone happy.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like Australian to me... put another shrimp on the Kettle, Moraine. Pass me a Baraboo, Allis -- I've got to Mauthe.

No offense intended to any of those places, mind you.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Howdy. I'd make the trip if it was to Baraboo or Kettle Moraine. I was born and raised in West Allis and made many trips to Mauthe Lake in my youth, it'd be a real nostalgia trip for me, and I have lots of friends and relatives in Milwaukee I could visit while in the area. Same with Baraboo - grandparents lived in Portage.

I'd be driving from Minneapolis, and can't see driving to all the way to Illinois to camp.

How will we know when we've got enough feedback to make a decision? Seems like there's a lot of diversity of opinions on this, might not be possible to make everyone happy.

--Kurt
    Kurt, see the previous posts about the downfalls of the Kettle. I like the Kettle the best in the Fall and Winter, especially Mauthe. It's a great winter camping site and an awesome X-country ski trail.

Baraboo - I like the idea of Devil's lake. Excellent trails, climbing, great scenery, but it's a campground. What about the SW part of the state - do you know anything over that way? The Eau Claire Dells, maybe? We may end up doing a northern Midwest hang, and a southern Midwest Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Sounds like Australian to me... put another shrimp on the Kettle, Moraine. Pass me a Baraboo, Allis -- I've got to Mauthe.

No offense intended to any of those places, mind you.
    LOL - Eau, Claire; don't Mauthe on yourself. You'll have to Baraboo over the Kettle so you don't wet your Allis.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    LOL

Eau, that's bango!

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i have fond memories of those areas!! wish i were there now.
    i miss living in chicago, so close to my faves places
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cheeseheads unite!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Baraboo - I like the idea of Devil's lake. Excellent trails, climbing, great scenery, but it's a campground. What about the SW part of the state - do you know anything over that way? The Eau Claire Dells, maybe? We may end up doing a northern Midwest hang, and a southern Midwest Hang.
    Errr, since Lake Delton was just wiped off the map maybe the whole Baraboo thing isn't such a good idea...

SW Wisconsin: The Sparta area is pretty nice, and has the advantage that we could combine camping/hiking with some of the best bicycling in the midwest - the Sparta McElroy trail is legendary. Its also right off the Interstate, which makes it readily accessible.

Crud: I just checked the website for the Kickapoo Valley Reserve (http://kvr.state.wi.us/), "DUE TO HEAVY RAINS AND FLOODING, ALL trails are CLOSED". Skip that one.

Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name ) There's a section of the Ice Age trail over there that's been in my sights for a while, but might be better suited for October when the bugs are down. My father-in-law would be happy to do some shuttling for us if anyone wants to attempt that. Links:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/tra...atl_trail.html
    or maybe
    http://www.iceagetrail.org/PDF/Serie...20Langlade.pdf

Food for thought,
    --Kurt

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Eau Claire Dells: you *do* know they are nowhere near the city of Eau Claire...they are NW of Wausau. Great spot, I've been there a coupla times as my wife is from Antigo (OK, now everyone can make fun of that name )
    Not trying to make fun (well, okay you're right about that, never mind) . It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Not trying to make fun (well, okay you're right about that, never mind) . It's just really interesting to hear so many place names that you've never heard before. It's like hearing a new language for the first time...
    I was thinking the same thing!!!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles

Language

Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!!!
    As one who has canoed many rivers in Wisconsin,and the midwest, it is fun to recall many of the areas discussed, language included.

Well, now hey dare, one consideration would be nordern mitchigan eh! Could go right up road one turdy one into Wexford county and camp in dare state forest campground and hike der nord country scenic trail.

Talk about different language. We flatlanders have a lot of fun listening to our fellow Michiganians north, especially north of "the bridge." Yoopers are a whole different language altogether. They refer to us as "trolls" because we live under the bridge.

Not to complicate things, if you are considering a northern hang, Michigan has some beautiful areas with lots of trees, and the North Country Scenic Trail runs right along the Manistee river, crossing the state from midpoint to lake Michigan along the river. A free permit is all that is needed to camp on state land anywhere, and hanging would not be a problem. If anyone has interest, let me know.

David
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast