Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My not really saying it to long for me, but it does make finding a spot to hang a little harder.

I pitch my GG 9x9 on the diagonal and it's ridge line is a little longer that 12'. I have set up my hammock before and then had to relocate it becasue the trees were to close to for the tarp. The tarp I made (hex/cat cut) really gives me more coverage on the sides than does my GG 9x9 hung diagonally and that was what I was looking for in a tarp.

I also like a lot of coverage on the ends of the hammock (head and foot area) and that's why I went with the 12' ridgeline.

Your McCat Deluxe has a 12'6" ridgeline? The measurements on Brian's site says the McCat Deluxe has a length of 130" (10.83 feet).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Your McCat Deluxe has a 12'6" ridgeline? The measurements on Brian's site says the McCat Deluxe has a length of 130" (10.83 feet).
    Opps math error on that one. I'll have to put it into MATLAB next time.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Tarp Hoods

My recent homemade tarp has an 11' ridge line. When I get some syl I'll probably make a new one with a 12' ridge line. But I'm thinking about adding a tarp hood like Ray Garlington describes on his site.http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
    I'll only make the tarp hoods go about half way down the ends instead of all the way like Ray did. At the ends of the points make 2 small loops. When you close the velcro around the hammock rope or strap put one loop through the other loop and tie a piece of cord to it and to the same tree. That should provide some additional protection to the ends of the hammock.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Opps math error on that one. I'll have to put it into MATLAB next time.
    Cute...

I find the 12' length to be plenty. Talking about wasting tarp - my Neo tarp has a ridge close to 14', but about 1.5' on each end is completely useless. I think I might disagree with your estimate of a foot of un-useable space on the hex cat, unless Brian's design is way different than mine. The width is plenty for me, almost to the ends.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    My recent homemade tarp has an 11' ridge line. When I get some syl I'll probably make a new one with a 12' ridge line. But I'm thinking about adding a tarp hood like Ray Garlington describes on his site.http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/SilkHammock/
    I'll only make the tarp hoods go about half way down the ends instead of all the way like Ray did. At the ends of the points make 2 small loops. When you close the velcro around the hammock rope or strap put one loop through the other loop and tie a piece of cord to it and to the same tree. That should provide some additional protection to the ends of the hammock.
    i've been working on new & improved end covers for the hammock. i hope to have them ready tomorrow. if so, i'll put up pictures.
    might be another interesting option that will provide protected storage at each end of the hammock & let me use a shorter tarp. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I will remeasure it when I set it up. They way I look at it was that with the angled sides and cat cut, the ridgeline sticks out from the rest of the tarp. Add to that the length down from the ridgeline that my hammock hangs. I think if it is not a foot, it is somewhere close. I'll check that when I hang it up tomorrow.

BB, what is the angle from the horizontal that you have the tarp cut before adding any cat cuts to it? That may be the dimension that is different.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    It's a regular hexagon, so each full interior angle is 60*. That means that one side cut, down from the ridge, is 30*. If that makes any sense.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    That makes sense.

How are your directions coming? I have some sil on the way that needs to be turned into a tarp.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I haven't gotten much farther than I was last time, actually...I've been DIYing left and right here the last couple weeks I promise I'll get something together by the end of the weekend though. Maybe not in time for you to finish one before Rogers, but I'll give it my best.

Images
    That's cool. Although it is going to be a really stealthy white with black ggr trim. Great camo in a snowstorm. I am thinking about calling it my oreo tarp.

It is mainly the small details and order of things I need help with. I have a tendency to just start a project and figure it out as I go. This is a big reason why the second one turns out a lot better. With this tarp, I want to get it right the first time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast