GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings

Anyone tried Alpaca wool insulation

Recently the family "hobby farm" acquired two young alpacas as pets. These are two boys who weren't going to be used for breeding and therefore had little purpose on the farms from which they came. As there is no market for alpaca meat in the US they get to live a nice quiet life with us.

Like any haired beast they will need a haircut in the spring. I was contemplating what I could do with the wool and thought that maybe it might make a decent fiber insulation to stuff in a UQ. Anyone tried just loose, not felted or spun wool as an insulation? I figure that after it's been washed it should be pretty fluffy and it's keeping the alpacas warm in our fair Michigan winter. I have another experiment for the spring.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i've got a full sweater made out of alpaca wool and it's pretty heavy and it doesn't pack down that well. it would be an XL in size. maybe if you did a 3/4 UQ but i think it would be rough on 1/8 shock cord.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

I've heard alpaca wool is the end all be all of wool's

It's got the best warmth to weight ratio of any "wool" (technically not wool) and allegedly the softest. I've been meaning to pick up some alpaca items but this dang hammock gear keeps eating up my monies.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If I recall correctly, in one of Dave Canterbury's recent youtube videos, he received a couple pairs of Alpaca wool socks. He say he loves them and they are every bit as good or better than regular wool socks. So I would think as underquilt insulation, you are going to need a rather large volume of alpaca hair.

However, in my view all things are worth testing, so when it comes time to give your alpaca's a hair cut, try stuffing it inside a nylon shell of some sort and see how it performs. If it doesn't then I say spin it to a yarn and make some hats, mitts, socks out of it.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The wool can be spun into prime yarn. I have a hat on order but the yarn is still at the yarn shop. I might know more in a week or 2. ;-)
    Before I washed it I would get in touch with folks who spin it as a hobby. I know there is a market for the wool and the yarn but that is about all I know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    The Alpaca stuff i have is very soft and warm. Good luck

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    Not 5 minutes ago I posted on Mbiraman's thread to say how much I loved my Alpaca socks! About the best I have used.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Alpaca can also be made into luxuriously warm quilt batting. Pure alpaca fiber is much lighter and warmer than wool, but does not have the crimp which helps make sheep wool spring back into shape. I've seen it combined 80%/20% with sheep wool in order to get the high insulation of the alpaca and a bit more of the stretchy recovery of wool. If you're patient, you can diy by combing the fibers with a pair of pet store wire brushes to make batts or roving for your insulation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by friartuck View Post
    Recently the family "hobby farm" acquired two young alpacas as pets. These are two boys who weren't going to be used for breeding and therefore had little purpose on the farms from which they came. As there is no market for alpaca meat in the US they get to live a nice quiet life with us.

Like any haired beast they will need a haircut in the spring. I was contemplating what I could do with the wool and thought that maybe it might make a decent fiber insulation to stuff in a UQ. Anyone tried just loose, not felted or spun wool as an insulation? I figure that after it's been washed it should be pretty fluffy and it's keeping the alpacas warm in our fair Michigan winter. I have another experiment for the spring.
    There is an alpaca farm down the road from me. They harvest the wool and sell shirts and sweaters. They are somewhat "heavy", lighter than regular wool, but very effective at maintaining heat even if wet. A friend of mine has a few, or maybe one but just wears it often lol, and really likes it. Perfect for Maine winters. But I think as an UQ it would be too heavy. I guess it depends how much weight you are willing to carry. ymmv

But I agree with Brian Wilson. Definitely worth testing since your going to have all the supplies lol. Try it out and let us know how it goes
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wool is great insulation, and alpaca wool is even better. Alas, the weight is an issue. One of these days they'll figure out how to lighten up wool.

• + New Posts