Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BB Warbonnet / DIY Bridge

What length is described when someone gives head suspension triangle length? nm

Sorry. Just don't feel like doing the research. Quick definition will suffice.

Thanks.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Sides of triangle

The width is the width of the spreader bar. The length would be the other legs of the triangle I believe.

Hammock

Thanks!

I thought it might be the apex of the triangle down to the middle of the spreader bar. Making my own DIY Bridge wanna get it right the first time.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clmcanally View Post
    What length is described when someone gives head suspension triangle length?
    Sorry. Just don't feel like doing the research. Quick definition will suffice.

Thanks.
    After reading your post, I'm a little surprised you actually got an answer. Admitting you're too lazy to actually do the work isn't going to win you too many friends(here, or in life).

I apologize if I come off as a jerk, but stepping up and doing the research will probably help you to better understand the bridge hammock. Understanding the design will help you build a hammock better suited to your needs.

Sometimes the easy way out isn't the best way. Spending a little extra time in the planning stages typically yields a better end product.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I agree with what JerryW wrote. TeeDee and Grizzlyadams have great information on this topic an the time spent on research won't make it such a black magic or hidden wisdom. Plus it's fun to read and watch experts at work.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide
    Just a suggestion, but look at BER's cloud and cirrus designs as well as his table on the chrysalis and then look at JerryW's underquilt.

I wanted to get my bridge correct on the first try and I found that there is no such thing. My first 2 were of Grizz's design and they were great learning tools. I am starting Bridge #4 and it will basically have the chrysalis demensions and I am attaching my underquilt like JerryW's.

Good luck.
    Ed
    Ed

Hammock
    Probably should have said I actually looked through quite a few threads of (especially the Cirrus which I like) gone through the tutorials and couldn't find the answers. Maybe I didn't catch the right thread. Didn't realize that I would get a lecture. My thought was is that I could get some quick help since I was sitting in front of this DIY bridge trying to decide if I could continue the 3/8" poly webbing suspension all through all the way to the apex of the triangle. Then creating a webbing pocket attached at the endpoints of the head and end that the tent poles could sit in and spread the hammock. So there's a plan place. Jerry, go grab that beer and relax! It's Friday...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I might have been a bit harsh, but I'm glad to see you were actually doing your research. I think it was just the wording in your original post that caught me wrong.

FWIW - running the webbing all the way up the triangle ought to work good. If you're using poles with the end tips, maybe you could use a grommet at each corner, through the webbing, to locate the poles. Simple, solid and reasonably light.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Jerry,

I got stalled last night. I am concerned that a grommet in a 3/8" webbing will really cause some strength issues. I guess I could always stitch a wider webbing at the corner of the hammock and put the grommet in that. But I think I am going to find some wider webbing and create that corner pocket and situate the webbing pocket underneath the 3/8 webbing at the corner the sew it all together (not sure if my needle can get through 3 layers). Anyway, its something different and I hadn't seen it done that way before. If that doesn't work, i will catch the end of the tent poles with a loop in my amsteel like most do.

Hope to get it done tomorrow.

Clmcanally

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clmcanally View Post
    Jerry,

I got stalled last night. I am concerned that a grommet in a 3/8" webbing will really cause some strength issues. I guess I could always stitch a wider webbing at the corner of the hammock and put the grommet in that. But I think I am going to find some wider webbing and create that corner pocket and situate the webbing pocket underneath the 3/8 webbing at the corner the sew it all together (not sure if my needle can get through 3 layers). Anyway, its something different and I hadn't seen it done that way before. If that doesn't work, i will catch the end of the tent poles with a loop in my amsteel like most do.

Hope to get it done tomorrow.

Clmcanally
    I concur with your concern r.e. grommets.

Something else you might consider is an aluminum attachment piece. See attached photo. Years ago WalkingBear sent me the fatter one on the left.

aluminum-corner.jpg

It is 1/4" thick, 2" long, 1" wide. I've been making some more like the one on the right for cord based suspension. 1/8" thick, 3/4" wide, 2" long. The holes in the middle accept the pole tip, the holes on the end attach to the suspension. A 3' bar of the 1/8" stuff is about $5. Ordinary tools---vise, hacksaw, drill, counter-drill, file---all that is needed to make these.

With your webbing system you could JB weld a nut over the center hold so that the pole tip does not extend past the nut, and have the webbing pass through the device, over the nut, pass out on the other side, and not mess around with sewing loops.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast