Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    BB Warbonnet / DIY Bridge

Bridge Finished!!!

Grizz,

Sorry for the late reply. But I was waiting on some new material to finish my project. I decided to attached a continuous piece of webbing to make the head and foot end triangle. So for a triangle length of 40", I cut one continuous piece of 80" and attached each end to the ends of the webbing suspension in the hammock. In between these two end pieces I trapped a webbing pocket I made with 5 separate small webbing pieces that I created to hold the tent poles. Works well, but needs some refinement. This hammock replicates the Cirrus and traps an aircore pad in between the two layers. It is more comfortable than I imagined. I have a few accessories I am planning in this prototype and then will create a much more refined hammock on the second go round. Very please for my first hammock!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a nice hammock! For my own curiosity and perhaps others that may be considering the various dimensions, what are the complete measurements?

Length
    Head width
    Foot width
    Arc depth
    Spreader bar length
    Weight

Do you find that the webbing tries to twist where you have your spreader bar pockets when the hammock is loaded?
    Glad you found the Cirrus write up useful. Eventually, I will make one more and think I will have it will have it down to about 13oz for the whole shebang.

Hammock
    BB Warbonnet / DIY Bridge
    BER,

I tried to replicate your Cirrus because it seemed like a good fit for me, but my final dimensions:

Length: 85"
    Width at head: 47"
    Head spreader: 41.5"
    Head suspension triangle: 40"
    Arc depth: 5.5"
    Width at foot: 40'
    Foot spreader: 30"
    Foot suspension triangle: 30"

I don't have a scale to weigh this setup, but it wouldn't mean much as I went ahead and used some sil nylon that I was going to use for a tarp project knowing that it will change on the final build. Patience is something I don't have sometimes. I will give the final weight with the bells and whistles later.

Now to the pockets...

The pockets down't twist the line. The line in this hammock twist only because I had to double wrap the line around the carabiner a couple of times to keep the webbing from sliding when I get into the hammock (I used the carabiner clip the end of the triangle and attach to my tree huggers. Even with the twisting I only had one pocket do some strange things. So I am going to do 2 things on the next design. First, I am going to add a small piece of webbing at the apex of head and foot triangle so that I can capture the carabiner and keep it from sliding. This allow the line to stay straight. Second, I am going to sew the webbing pockets to the suspension itself and change up the design of the pocket by using a wider webbing and folding it over itself length wise. Looking forward to the next one.

Clmcanally

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    nice job on the hammock!

I particularly like the pocket for the spreader bar. This pocket is no doubt
    lighter than the aluminum pole tip I've been using in the Easton tube
    spreader bars, and should work nicely for the carbon fiber tubes BER
    has been exploring.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by clmcanally View Post
    BER,

I tried to replicate your Cirrus because it seemed like a good fit for me, but my final dimensions:

Length: 85"
    Width at head: 47"
    Head spreader: 41.5"
    Head suspension triangle: 40"
    Arc depth: 5.5"
    Width at foot: 40'
    Foot spreader: 30"
    Foot suspension triangle: 30"

I don't have a scale to weigh this setup, but it wouldn't mean much as I went ahead and used some sil nylon that I was going to use for a tarp project knowing that it will change on the final build. Patience is something I don't have sometimes. I will give the final weight with the bells and whistles later.

Now to the pockets...

The pockets down't twist the line. The line in this hammock twist only because I had to double wrap the line around the carabiner a couple of times to keep the webbing from sliding when I get into the hammock (I used the carabiner clip the end of the triangle and attach to my tree huggers. Even with the twisting I only had one pocket do some strange things. So I am going to do 2 things on the next design. First, I am going to add a small piece of webbing at the apex of head and foot triangle so that I can capture the carabiner and keep it from sliding. This allow the line to stay straight. Second, I am going to sew the webbing pockets to the suspension itself and change up the design of the pocket by using a wider webbing and folding it over itself length wise. Looking forward to the next one.

Clmcanally
    Cool. Glad it is working out well for you. I like the dimensions of the Cirrus the best of my four DIYs. The only dimension I think I will change for #5 is to make the suspension triangle length the same for the head and foot ends. In playing with the Cirrus, I added a structural ridge line from apex to apex to make a more consistent hang. But with the shorter triangle on the foot end, the ridge line has to slope downwards and the tree strap has to be a bit lower on the foot end. Having the ridge line horizontal brings the foot end up too high. I think this will be corrected if the suspension triangles are the same. I will probably cut a small amount of weight by using a single layer of 1.1oz for the bed and just a partial second layer for a pad pocket instead of a full double layer. FWIW, the CF tubes I bought and cut for the Cirrus have been holding up well for my 200# weight. No issues thus far.

Happy hanging!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    But with the shorter triangle on the foot end, the ridge line has to slope downwards and the tree strap has to be a bit lower on the foot end. Having the ridge line horizontal brings the foot end up too high. I think this will be corrected if the suspension triangles are the same.
    FWIW - All of my bridge hammocks have had the same triangle size on both ends and I find it most comfortable to have the foot end a bit lower. Just the opposite of a gathered end hammock.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12