Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images

Asym Tarp Design Ii

Not being totally satisfied with my initial asym tarp design
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/p...ictureid=12914
    due to what I felt was excessive exposure. I came across the "Ogee Trap" which compromises a bit of extra weight (2 ozs) by adding "partial doors". My design was headed in this direction also. I customized the initial concept and made a model, and it appears to be a good compromising tarp for me. My dimensions are made for a WBBB hammock, giving me about an extra 16" of space on either end. I'm hoping this design would protect me a bit better in a serious rainstorm or high gusts of wind.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...p?albumid=1783

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Interesting design

It may be too large, but it seems to me this type design would be a good candidate for a poncho/tarp combination. Food for thought.

My 2 cents.

Happy Trails
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    It may be too large, but it seems to me this type design would be a good candidate for a poncho/tarp combination. Food for thought.

My 2 cents.

Happy Trails
    Appreciate your input. What size and modifications would you recommend? Its still in the design stages, so its a perfect time for other thoughts.. I own a Superfly, so I already have a large tarp, and would like to make it as light as possible yet not having to worry about getting wet because its too small. With materials and size, this tarp is weighing about 13 ozs.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images
    The reason I thought this might be workable as a poncho/tarp is that your main width is the width of the fabric (60") which is perfect for a generous poncho. Your max width is right where shoulders would be on a poncho.

Check out this poncho design for dimensions:

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

However, I do not have the same kind of hammock you have and don't know what kind of length coverage you need. If the tarp dragged the ground during poncho use, you could always use plastic snaps to secure the overhang.

I was looking for multiuse, while you are looking for max coverage with minimum width. These goals may or may not be compatible.

Happy Trails.

Why don't you make a sample tarp out of Gorilla tape and plastic painters poly to see if this tarp will work?
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Move the small triangles

After studying your design, I see a possible change that may be beneficial.

When I hammock and lay on a diagonal, my head is on the upper side of the ridgeline (as per your drawing) and my feet are on the lower side of the ridgeline.

Therefore, it would seem to make sense to take the upper small triangle "ogee" and move it over to the left edge of the upper tarp. On the bottom, take the lower small triangle "ogee" and move it to the right edge of the lower tarp. (If you sleep diagonally "head right" of ridgeline, merely turn the tarp over to get the max coverage where needed.) I don't know how the tieouts would work with this shape, but in theory it sounds workable.

I hope this makes sense.

Happy Trails.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Assm tarp link

Found this link you may want to look at:

http://www.mydiygear.com/pages/proje...m/tutorial.php

Happy Trails

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    For a minimal coverage tarp, why not just do a 11' x 5' rectangle. It'll be simple to make, fabric comes 65" wide usually, and you'll still have the partial closing doors. I don't see the point of having that extra triangle of fabric on each side, do you need that coverage? Plus with the doors pitched it'll pull the side tarp inward and take up precious space unless pannel pulls are deployed. That means you're using a minimun of 8 stakes, seems like a lot for an asym tarp.

Very cool idea though. I just think an 11'x5' will weight a good bit less and use less stakes.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    For a minimal coverage tarp, why not just do a 11' x 5' rectangle. It'll be simple to make, fabric comes 65" wide usually, and you'll still have the partial closing doors. I don't see the point of having that extra triangle of fabric on each side, do you need that coverage? Plus with the doors pitched it'll pull the side tarp inward and take up precious space unless pannel pulls are deployed. That means you're using a minimun of 8 stakes, seems like a lot for an asym tarp.

Very cool idea though. I just think an 11'x5' will weight a good bit less and use less stakes.
    I see your point. The extra triangles actually were for a bit more protection, especially for my backpack, shoes and supplies. I'm a bit skeptical of only having side walls 2'-6"; that seems to be cutting things really close. A serious rain would confine you to staying in the hammock, because there's no coverage outside of it. The triangles also allow for the usage of only two stakes rather than four giving you an advantage for setting up and space limitations. I don't plan to use stakes for the door flaps, I hope to use some 1/8' shockcord and plastic mittens or velcro.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 01-24-2012 at 02:06.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well I'm really excited to see it. Its a really cool design. Best of luck.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Actually I'd prefer the mesh. I have a tendancy to continuing to add items of convienence until I loose my weight advantages.With only two tieouts, I'm consideing a small no-seem mesh bag instead of a snake skin. I'll see how that goes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast