Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    For a minimal coverage tarp, why not just do a 11' x 5' rectangle. It'll be simple to make, fabric comes 65" wide usually, and you'll still have the partial closing doors. I don't see the point of having that extra triangle of fabric on each side, do you need that coverage? Plus with the doors pitched it'll pull the side tarp inward and take up precious space unless pannel pulls are deployed. That means you're using a minimun of 8 stakes, seems like a lot for an asym tarp.

Very cool idea though. I just think an 11'x5' will weight a good bit less and use less stakes.
    I see your point. The extra triangles actually were for a bit more protection, especially for my backpack, shoes and supplies. I'm a bit skeptical of only having side walls 2'-6"; that seems to be cutting things really close. A serious rain would confine you to staying in the hammock, because there's no coverage outside of it. The triangles also allow for the usage of only two stakes rather than four giving you an advantage for setting up and space limitations. I don't plan to use stakes for the door flaps, I hope to use some 1/8' shockcord and plastic mittens or velcro.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 01-24-2012 at 02:06.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Well I'm really excited to see it. Its a really cool design. Best of luck.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_ray_ray View Post
    Thanks, that's a possible consideration. My objective is to have something that is as light as possible and not retrofitted. I carry a lightweight top and bottom rain suit (from some of my biking supplies for the rain)it's more versitile for me. I've never been much of a poncho person because of the terrible drip off the bottom, and non-ventillating properties; even though it can be used for a variety of different purposes.
    Then to attempt connecting my poncho to a floppy rainblown tarp,seems very cumbersome to me. If I could design a tarp that has a simple non-complicated rain and wind barrier attachment I'd be very content. Actually the fun part of this project is to strain my brain and comeup with an answer. I appreciate all ideas from others. Thanks a lot.
    Fair enough. I was actually thinking more along the lines of designing your tarp and poncho/Grizz Beak as a unit to work together, but if you don't like ponchos, that's kinda moot.

Perhaps you could design one of the doors to be detachable and work as a pack cover? It'd help save a few ounces, since one item now does two things.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Fair enough. I was actually thinking more along the lines of designing your tarp and poncho/Grizz Beak as a unit to work together, but if you don't like ponchos, that's kinda moot.

Perhaps you could design one of the doors to be detachable and work as a pack cover? It'd help save a few ounces, since one item now does two things.
    Actually, I was thinking of making all four of the door flaps detachable. Wouldn't it be great to make them do double duty? Possibly as a rain cover for the backpack or gaiters? .... just thinking out loud ...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_ray_ray View Post
    Actually, I was thinking of making all four of the door flaps detachable. Wouldn't it be great to make them do double duty? Possibly as a rain cover for the backpack or gaiters? .... just thinking out loud ...
    Heck, those doors should be big enough to double as a rain kilt, if you wanted.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Heck, those doors should be big enough to double as a rain kilt, if you wanted.
    Yeah, they have to serve a double purpose to justify thier usage. If I can't come up with something, I may just forget the door flap's or possibly add the area to the tarp increasing it in size, which in a round about way adds an extra bit of protection. I'm almost there though. My last (and possibly final plan) has me with a compromising asym design with 9'-0" x 7-0" giving me a nice 12'-6" diagonal; which brings my hammock in two feet off of each end of the tarp's edge. The weight is to 10 oz without adding the rings and extras with these new dimensions. It's still a big difference as compared to my superfly which comes in with snakeskins and stakes at 2 pounds.
    Can't wait to begin putting it all together. Pictures will follow, once I begin the process.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 01-26-2012 at 13:47.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Final design,(hopefully), these measurements were a compromise; for an additioanl 3 ozs. I've gained a bit more tarp space. Decided to go ahead and sew this up and if I decide to put doors on it, it will be after I test it out to see if they will benefit the overall project. (Doors will also be detachable)
    All comments and thoughts are welcomed.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Looks good.

Something that might be worth doing is leaving a smallish portion of the reinforcement triangles unsewn towards the center of their long seam. Hennessy does this with their hex tarp, and it makes a nice "pocket" to stuff the guylines into to help avoid tangling.

If you want, I can post a photo of what I'm talking about.

Images
    That's a nice looking tarp! 2 stakes, light weight, ample coverage for 3 season backpacking. Looks like you are in business!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

Cat cuts?

The design, as it is now, should give you about 1' overhang at head and foot when you lay on the diagonal. That should be plenty, but if you cat cut your edges you may lose some needed coverage. Cat cutters beware.

Please post pics of your finished tarp.

Enjoy

Happy Trails.
    " . . . there's no easy trail to Cache Lake, for it is protected by distance, mile after forgotten mile of woods and water, and it is still clean and clear and safe from civilization." John J Rowlands from Cache Lake Country

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast