Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kobold View Post
    my one and only jrb mw3c in converted mode for sure!
    I love my torso synthetic Climashield "Yeti" ( no longer made) because of the adjustable warmth. I can add or subtract layers of Climashield as needed. With one layer ( total quilt wt between 9 and 10 oz) I have been OK at about 46-49F wearing just cotton t-shirt and jeans. My son has been toasty with 3 total layers into the mid 20s once and other times in the 30s . About 18 oz total- the layers I add are ~ 3.7 oz each(of CS Combat? not sure), the fixed layer is probably only 2.5 oz of CS XP. I suspect these 3 layers would be adequate for significantly colder temps, but have not tested it. I have also been toasty at about 40 with 2 layers ( less than 14 oz total quilt wt), again sure it would go much lower. Plus I am able to shove a down vest under all layers, and that has to be a stout boost if you have one you are not sleeping in.

I still can not believe that no one manufactures something like this and that there would not be big demand for it. A 9 or 10 oz SYNTHETIC torso UQ good to about 45-50, then just add more layers for a total of 18-22 oz to go maybe below zero? And Climashild's ability (IMO) to shrug off water/condensation concerns. But bulky. Which is rarely a problem for me, I tend to use larger packs.

I also am quite impressed with my 900 FP JRB MW 3 convertible. I think it weighs about 13 or 14 oz in short mode, but it is still pretty long for a "torso" style. Much longer than my "Yeti". It goes down below my knees. Rated at 15, lots of loft. So, about the same wt as my synthetic Yeti is with 2 layers, but longer, more compressible and probably a good 10F warmer. For about 23 oz total weight, converts to FULL length. And for a major win, it has occurred to me that the long part will make a great TQ inside the PeaPod, while the short addition will add 3" of loft inside the pod under my back and butt! What a versatile set up!

But how is this JRB identical to my WB? Neither are available anymore. I think I purchased the very LAST Climashield UQ that WB made before switching to down after he had trouble getting CS. And I jumped on a good sale on the JRB when I saw they were being discontinued. So every thing I just told you is useless info. Other than both brands are of extremely high quality.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i am thinking about an under quilt from wilderness logic.i really like the big daddy tarp.neo

http://wildernesslogics.com/Under-Qu...Quilt-Down.htm
    Looks like a good value. To compare apples to apples, make sure that has a differential cut, like the Yetis and JRB MWs and I think the HGs. I think you have better odds of success during the learning curve when you can just pull the quilt snug against your back and butt without worrying much about compressing loft.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I love my torso synthetic Climashield "Yeti" ( no longer made) because of the adjustable warmth. I can add or subtract layers of Climashield as needed. With one layer ( total quilt wt between 9 and 10 oz) I have been OK at about 46-49F wearing just cotton t-shirt and jeans. <snip>. About 18 oz total- the layers I add are ~ 3.7 oz each(of CS Combat? not sure), the fixed layer is probably only 2.5 oz of CS XP. I suspect these 3 layers would be adequate for significantly colder temps, but have not tested it. I have also been toasty at about 40 with 2 layers ( less than 14 oz total quilt wt), again sure it would go much lower. Plus I am able to shove a down vest under all layers, and that has to be a stout boost if you have one you are not sleeping in.

I still can not believe that no one manufactures something like this and that there would not be big demand for it.A 9 o r 10 oz SYNTHETIC torso UQ good to about 45-50, then just add more layers for a total of 18-22 oz to go maybe below zero? And Climashild's ability (IMO) to shrug off water/condensation concerns. .
    The Lost River by AHE is a rectangular and less-tailored version of what you describe. 16oz as built to 3 season / 30F. I'll bet someone could get Paul to make it a convertible with a third layer of skin and a slit pocket: Stuff or remove the pocket with some of that Climashield. Weight penalty of the 3rd layer of fabric would be <3oz.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    The Lost River by AHE is a rectangular and less-tailored version of what you describe. 16oz as built to 3 season / 30F. I'll bet someone could get Paul to make it a convertible with a third layer of skin and a slit pocket: Stuff or remove the pocket with some of that Climashield. Weight penalty of the 3rd layer of fabric would be <3oz.
    Yep, I have thought about Paul making something like this available, thought about asking him if he was interested. Not that I need one, but I bet some other folks would want one. If there are no patent issues with WB? It is a differential cut with one permanent layer sewn to the inner shell. With plenty of room between that layer and the outer shell, which hangs loose below the CS. Then just hand stitch(quilt?) on one or more layers of CS as needed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies &amp; Straps
    Images
    For Summer, Spring and Fall I use an appropriately rated Phoenix by Hammock Gear (I have one for each season). For winter I use the Winter Incubator. I really like the phoenix and especially like the new design of it. Stormcrow also has a few tricks up his sleeve in the near future. I will be posting about one of those tricks shortly as soon as the weather dries up and I get a chance to hang my hammock in the back yard. The quality and craftsmanship is excellent and they have always keep me toasty warm. I particularly like the option of customizing the quilts and being able to use lighter material then 1.1. OOHH did I mention the phoenix is my personal favorite UQ.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    what is everybodies favorite 3/4 under quilt.i have been hammock camping since may 2002,i have always been a pad user.i have always thougt quilt look like a pain to set up.but now i think i am ready to switch from pad to under quilt
    3/4s! Bah Humbug!!!!! At 140 I live for full length coverage. Too many CBSes otherwise.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top &amp; U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My favorite 3/4 length UQ for now is a DIY quilt I have dubbed the CLUQ (CLimasheild UnderQuilt). It will remain my favorite until I make another one (maybe out of down) to replace it, and then we will see...
    we will see.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Images
    Te-Wa Winter Coat w/1 oz. overstuff. gotten me down to 9 so far.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    For 3 season use it is my Leighlo 2/3 summer weight. In winter I still use pads. Toasty warm at 3*F this past weekend.

Love my Te-Wa underquilt. Not a single cold night since getting it. Custom width with some overfill and EXCELLENT workmanship and quality. Buddy saw it for 10 seconds and ordered the exact same thing.

Only problem? Possibly TOO warm for high summer. Now I'm thinking about a warm weather UQ and wondering if it would be worth the weight savings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast