Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN

DIY UQ. Cheap sleeping bag vs. Poncho liner??

I've about narrowed my options down for a mild weather UQ to one of these two options.
    A cheap 3lb. sleeping bag, or a PL. I've looked at the no sew and sew versions of both. It appears that they both look simple to make. Also, weight/bulk isn't a problem. I'm just hanging in the woods behind my house.
    I may do some car camping later.

I've never seen a PL in person, but I know all about the cheap sleeping bags. I don't want to purchase the PL and then realise that I prefer the SB!

If you could only have one, which would you pick, and why?
    How do they compare in weight, bulk, and warmth? Just curious!

Thanks

Hammock
    1.9oz Ripstop DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and toggles
    I used an old department store sleeping bag at first. It was hard to rig and very heavy. It was too heavy to suspend with shock cord.

I made a no-sew PLUQ shortly thereafter and have been very satisfied with it.

The PL is much lighter and just as warm as the bag I was using. Its also dual use: If you snug up the draw string and add some velcro you have a very nice summer quilt.

If you already own one or the other, start with that and see how it goes. I would guess the cost would be the same to buy earlier at ~$30.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I have a DIY sleeping bag UQ and I use a poncho liner as a UQ, but I use it with an old Crazy Crib hammock as an undercover. Temps and conditions in AL are about the same as experienced here in Southeast Texas. I'd recommend going with the PLUQ as you will see more use out of it than you will with the warmer sleeping bag. Too warm is only marginally better than too cold. Eventually you will need something on the order of a DIY UQ or one from a cottage vendor, but for those of us blessed with living in southern climes, the need is not as great as for our brothers and sisters in the North.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Tagged because I will be at this decision point soon enough...

Edit: the reason i am looking at a pluq is that 99% of my camping is going to be 40* and up... With most of it being probably 60* and up... And so looking for something fairly light temperature wise...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 06-25-2012 at 13:42.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    One more thing to thInk about is that the PLUQ can be modular. Even if you decide that a sewn PLUQ is the way you want to go you can leave a small opening which allows you to add or remove layers of batting or isultex. I started witha PLUQ now have a new river, I still use my PLUQ as stated above it works great above 50 ymmv.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by dammfast; 06-25-2012 at 13:33. Reason: Stupid phone!!!
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    If you want camo, the surplus PL is cheaper than buying the fabric and making one. It's pretty thin, so you'd need to double it in half for warmth. I recall hearing they can give you insulation to around mid 50 degrees.

If you're wanting more insulation, get a sleeping bag. But cheap bags are thick, heavy, bulky and for car camping at best. But they can be warm! We've got a swiss army that's warm down to 10 degrees below freezing. It cost about $50.

Sometimes cheap bags can be found at Walmart and on sale for around $25

You can find pre owned bags for under $15 at thrift stores, just wash it well!!
    Last edited by dimeotane; 06-25-2012 at 20:22.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    How much would an insultex uq run do you know?
    The reason i ask is looking around in stock and with shipping the cheapest I see is $25 for a poncholiner... So for that plus the other tidbits to finish I'm looking at $30-$32... And I end up with.bulky 2 lb insulation... Wouldn't insultex come in lighter and more compact...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    If you want camo, the surplus PL is cheaper than buying the fabric and making one. It's pretty thin, so you'd need to double it in half warmth. I recall hearing they can give you insulation to around mid 50 degrees.

If you're wanting more insulation, get a sleeping bag. But cheap bags are thick, heavy, bulky and for car camping at best. But they can be warm! We've got a swiss army that's warm down to 10 degrees below freezing. It cost about $50.

Sometimes cheap bags can be found at Walmart and on sale for around $25

You can find pre owned bags for under $15 at thrift stores, just wash it well!!
    I've bought a new 40-60degree bag at walmart for about $9 and saw another brand at Academy Sports for the same price. This was the regular price. That's cheap enough! These are both the adult, "3lb." bags.

I've gone ahead and ordered two MIPLs from ebay today. Getting both of them used in very good shape for about $33. total. I'll have one for a UQ and the other for a TQ.

I like the idea that the PLs are lighter simply because they'll be easier to hold up w/ the shock cord, and not as bulky w/ the bug net around me.

Thanks for the input guys! It looks like I'll be getting the PLUQ up and running in a week or so!

I have an old sleeping bag I might try to make UQ out of.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have a PL, I use as a top quilt, that I sewed Velcro on in order to make a footbox. I really like it a lot. It's good to around 40F, but I'm a warm sleeper.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast