Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Are the JRB sleeves sewn through as well? Just curious if this is something that can or tends to be baffled? I do like the sewn through idea very much.
    I think the JRB sleeves are but I question this as well, can anyone comment?
    IMO this is an item that can be baffled but I seriously question the “Return on Investment” (cost and time). Heat loss will occur at the sewn-through points but I’m not convinced it would even be noticeable. If we did a horizontal baffle, the wall would have to be a ring going around the arm otherwise it would deform the sleeve and impair lofting; sewing that together would be fun…TDF difficulty 4/5 (for the record, I’d consider a BlackRock Clone 5/5)! The easier, vertical baffles would allow the down to shift the length of the arm during natural motion (swaying our arm as we walk), this would force the down to the wrist resulting in the “Popeye” Forearms I joked about above. The Sewn-Through option (a.k.a..Path of least resistance) took me 2.5 hours start to finish and I’m happy with the output…question is, will -30c change my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoseley7 View Post
    So you mentioned your plans for the sleeves, but I have a question. You sewed the inner and outer pieces together, stuffed and then sewed the sew-thru baffles, but at that point you have a flat sleeve, not a tube right? So how did make it a tube? Did you turn it inside out, sew the two sides together and then turn back right-side out?
    That is correct, I folded the flat sleeve so the outer shell is inside and sewed up the arm starting at the wrist, it was easier to absorb the difference in side length in the arm pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You have to tame the beast before you let it out. I'll expect Magnum when you do your hood
    LoL….Taming of the Beast is on the list!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    If I met you in the woods with these, I'd probably throw everything and run.

But seriously, having 2 DIY down beanies I personally consider making a decent pair of down sleeves with baffles on the same difficulty level.

Good job on your sleeves, they're looking great and I am sure they'll keep your arms absolutely warm!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

query

Where's the hood? and where's magnum to model it?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm thinking will all the prep work that's been done by the EGL hangers for deep cold, is going to cause the low temperature to be way above the normal for the area for this time of the year.

Just to temp fate and mother nature, I've decided to put my all season tires back on my car.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great piece of gear for sure!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Let’s just say it wasn’t a “beautiful day in the neighborhood” when I attempted to assassinate a Down-filled pillow and got put on a DIY Timeout (In short, I ran out of feathers)! There are so many pillows on the bed; I really didn’t think she’d notice? I wasn’t going to “Kill” it anyway, just lobotomize it a little. After back-to-back projects (Snow Beast Quilts, The Winter Recliner and these “Gorilla Arms”) it was time for a break, the Magnum Hood has been started but I won’t have it in time for Algonquin.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I'm thinking will all the prep work that's been done by the EGL hangers for deep cold, is going to cause the low temperature to be way above the normal for the area for this time of the year.
    Just to temp fate and mother nature, I've decided to put my all season tires back on my car.

Cheers

Brian
    Somebody needs to get out there and have a serious one-to-one with the Jet Stream, it misbehaving this year and needs a stern talking-too! We’re going to Muskoka this weekend for some back country snowshoeing… I’ll give it a piece (or what’s left) of my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Great piece of gear for sure!
    Shug
    Your sleeves inspired this project actually, I really didn’t think I’d have much use for sleeves without the rest of a jacket but as illustrated, they are very versatile! On the last trip they were used as a pillow, scarf, legwarmers (in the recliner) and I had a great night’s sleep with them on my arms. Thanks Mate!
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123