Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
The over cover is a cold weather piece of equipment. In my opinion it would not be useful in the mid year months. I use mine when it gets below freezing by a considerable amount. It works by trapping radiant heat from your body and breath and by adding an additional wind barrier to the system.

You would be much better off with good top/bottom insulation with the addition of a balaclava or hat if needed. At least that's my advice. I will add the Super Shelter is a touchy piece of kit. I have good luck with it plus base layer and 0* bag. (12*F) Others have found it gives them Cold Butt Syndrome as high as 40-50* F so make sure you do some testing before you get into a situation where you would not have recourse to a warm alternative.
Gotta agree with this...always test things out from the safety of Ft Livingroom before you take it out with no backup on the trail. Test hangs in the backyard or someplace where you can car camp and evac if things go south is always a good idea with new/unfamiliar gear.

Like RamblinRev said...the HHSS (overcover, undercover, underpad) are a source of debate here often.

I used mine two weekends ago in temps down to 22F with 30-40mph winds, for two nights. This was in conjunction with a 20deg sleeping bag, fleece liner, and poncho liner along with the undercover/underpad/space blanket combo. I was quite warm, but many others have had issues at those temps or even higher.

One other thought...post for a bit here on the forum, see if there are any forum members near where you live...perhaps even a "hang" in your area that you could attend and try out all sorts of gear.