Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm knot sure about this not...

Sorry, I had to...

Can anyone give me the specifics on what this piece of hardware is called, where I can get one, and in addition walk me through this knot? I ordered my Clark NX-250 this week, and I'm looking for the simplest way to hang it. At this time I've decided to give the stock ropes a trial before I attempt any other suspension.

[/QUOTE]

I'm so freaking excited by the way! Especially because I may have to end up living out of this thing for a while...

JGON

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    The hardware is a drip ring, and the knot is just 3 half hitches tied in a row...

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    the drip ring comes stock with the hammock,as raiffnuke has said the knot is just 3 half hitches, watch the video and get the first sequence figured out, then repeat it 2 more times,
    i have found that if i use a piece of cord tied to my computer stand ,that i can do the knot while i watch the instructional video, give it a try,
    btw, this method works great on the clark rope, it stops the rope from binding so much
    Last edited by brushybill; 07-23-2011 at 10:03. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have found that using a truckers hitch with a slippery half hitch on a Quick release is easier to adjust for tension AND untie. Learn some basic knots. you'll save $ on fancy suspension.

What are your favorite hammock suspension knots? Also, what is your recommended or other learning/training materials on wilderness/bushcraft knots?

Thanks again,

JGON

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Go ahead and learn the hitches.

Then, if the hammock comes with the drip rings*, you'll get little reinforcement for remembering them. Why? Because Clark found a combination of inexpensive polyprope rope, with its particular stiffness and adhesion, that combines well with the design of the ring, so that two loops through and a tug and it comes close to holding. The next knot seems hardly to matter. I'm not saying that it DOESN'T matter, just that ring does so much, you won't believe the right hitch matters.

You'll find more than one thread in this sub-forum appreciating the simplicity, quickness, and new-user friendliness of this.

-------
    So what's not to like?

1. The rope is and looks cheap, especially for a premium hammock. Not especially supple or feels-good in the hand. But, plenty strong, and no doubt durable.

2. See the rope slide on the tree as the length adjusts? Not at all friendly to the tree. Not in the least, as the rope is quite coarse and abrasive.

3. The rope (1/4" or 5/16" depending on model) is bulky compared to the nominal 1/8" and smaller line favored here.

4. A pair of rings or a strap running through a buckle of some sort is nicer. All that strap is bulky, but it means that as long --or short (pun) -- as you can hang, there are tree-friendly straps against the tree.

*I have a memorandum from Clark announcing they would include the rings only by request. Who knows if they followed through.

OP here. Thanks for the replies. I did not opt to order these when I ordered my clark, so it is on the way sans drip rings most likely. Can anyone with a drip ring possibly take some measurements of one of these so that I can find something comparable at either a local hardware or a local mountaineering store? Also, would this need to be a load bearing piece of hardware?

Thanks,

JGON

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    You can get the ones you saw here. I hope this helps you in your search.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Hm, just what I thought. Clark explained they thought them unnecessary, which as drip rings they may be.

Try posting on the Clark sub-forum, maybe will donate a pair to you for the cost of shipping, which might be $3. Clark's price is very fair, but then there's the reasonable $5 shipping charge. If you didn't get tree straps, you might get them from Clark at the same time.

I suspect Clark had a bunch of these short cylinders custom machined, trying different lengths and inner and outer edge radii for resistance to slipping with the rope they chose. I haven't seen them elsewhere. They are 3/4" in inner diameter and in height and weigh just 10g apiece.

Or, learn those hitches. And per wise advice earlier: Practice them over and over. You don't think about how to your shoes? The hitches should be almost so automatic.

Or, do what I haven't seen here recently, though archives will show if this was honored in the past: Learn one of the several ways climbers, spelunkers, and others rig rope through carabiners for adjustability.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-25-2011 at 15:07.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You can do the same thing as the video with a climbing carabiner or descender ring. The only difference is in the video the rope went around the drip ring once. For a descender ring or biner you need to wrap the rope 2 or 3 times. When not under tension, the rope still slides over the carabiner or descender ring for adjustment but holds under tension.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast